What is your favorite PC game controller?

41I4l4QzZ6L._SX300_.jpg

First PC Controller I actually used regularly was the OG 360 controller since it was essentially (and still kind of is) the standard and basically all games since around 2008ish support it along with it's button prompts. I messed with a bunch of different ones in the past and always ended up back on my KB/M. Upgraded to a XB1 and then a DS4 and actually preferred the DS4 to both the 360/XB1 controllers but wish more games had prompts for it. (have always hated PS controllers too ever since the PSX) Purchased a Steam controller on launch day and haven't looked back, it's the most versatile input device I've ever used and doubles as a great device for navigating my HTPC.

TL;DR - 360/XB1 -> DS4 -> Steam Contoller - SC is my fav.

The obvious keyboard and mouse combo. :D But I was using the 360 wired controller until I picked up a Steam controller.

Rock Candy 360 controller, cheapest one I have bought, and oddly the longest lasting one too lol.

I'd be interested to know how many people are using these for couch vs desk setup. I currently have a Logitech F310 that I got super cheap. Thinking of picking up something nicer (probably 360/xbone), but I just use it so rarely.

In the market for a pc controller.

Having a hard time deciding between the xbox one/360 controller or a Steam controller.

Had both in my amazon cart for a week

Keyboard and mouse is great for most things but I use a wired 360 controller for racing games and 2D games. In racing games the analog triggers are great for precise accelerating and braking control.

I like the XBOX ONE controller (standard) with the play & charge kit. Zero issues so far (except for the Windows 10 hotfix driver that jacked with xinput).

Been using a 360 controller, wired. Good build quality and it is plug and play in just about every game from the past few years. Even using it to play flawlessly on emulators for PS2 games. Was hard getting used to the different layout but it works well for me now. Was worried as my PS2 was giving some errors and one of the controllers seems to have died.

Support for new and slightly older (~2008+) games is essentially unrivaled.

Xbox one. Love the dpad for fighting games. Also its nice to have easy wireless now for it, and easy charging.

My only complaint with the Xbox One controller for PC gaming has to do with incompetent developers. The whole point of XInput is that the developer codes for a basic API, and that detects and utilizes the controller. So long as the controller adheres to the XInput standard, it should work in the game. But some developers try to detect the controller, then code/map for it. Some examples:

Burnout Paradise will detect an Xbox 360 gamepad and show in-game prompts for the gamepad's buttons. But if you use the Xbox One controller, it defaults to DirectInput and labels the buttons as B1, B2, etc.
Grandia II, a rushed emulation port by Gung Ho, also detects the 360 controller. Any other XInput gamepad is hit or miss. With the XBO controller, the camera will spin constantly unless you disable the analog triggers for the camera (Microsoft warns of this in their XInput best practices guide).

So while I prefer the Xbox One controller, the 360's gamepad does have broader compatibility due to the sheer incompetence of some developers.

PS3 controller and Steam Controller. Although I favor the PS3 controller due to comfort and use of the Dual Shock controllers since PS1 days.

Steam controller is not bad for some games and absolutely horrible for Bethesda games. I cannot for the life of me get the controller to work 100% with Fallout 4, I have a pretty good profile built but it took a few hours to get it just right. After that I pretty much set it aside and have been using PS3 controllers.

PS3 controller and Steam Controller. Although I favor the PS3 controller due to comfort and use of the Dual Shock controllers since PS1 days.

Steam controller is not bad for some games and absolutely horrible for Bethesda games. I cannot for the life of me get the controller to work 100% with Fallout 4, I have a pretty good profile built but it took a few hours to get it just right. After that I pretty much set it aside and have been using PS3 controllers.

The fact that you use a controller for a First Person Shooter game is shocking. I give you props, how the hell do you aim with a controller? lol

Reactions: Zuul
like this
The fact that you use a controller for a First Person Shooter game is shocking. I give you props, how the hell do you aim with a controller? lol

It works fine and is actually really comfortable and enjoyable. If you're talking about playing Q3A or CS online then yeah, don't use a controller, but for SP games on PC it's a really nice option. I've grown to prefer a controller where possible just because it's super comfy to relax back in my chair with a wireless controller.

I suppose I just found another reason to favor the 360 controller over the Xbox One controller.
I manage to break one of the my Xbox One bumper buttons on a controller I've only had since Fallout 4 came out. There are two small plastic pieces holding it in place and I manged to break one of them somehow. Now the button only works sporadically and keeps getting stuck. At $50, that's awfully disappointing.
This is also (of course) after having never damaged a 360 controller in nearly 10 years. I have 4 of 'em (2 from launch day) and none are any worse off than they were when I unboxed 'em.

Back