What is your favorite brand of memory and why?

Who is your Favorite?

• Corsair

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Ocz

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Patriot/PDP

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Mushkin

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
g.skill

Overclockability, pricing, overall performance, and they look cool :D

BTW, im specifically talking about the 2gb gskill extreme pc4000

i already sent monarch an email about a request to carry the product

Crucial.

I mean, their ram is crucial, all other brands are optional. You know this because of their names. :cool:

OCZ, just like em...not just teh DIMMs, but also the DDR Booster, and the PSUs.

Brand Loyalty is all.

Crucial. Reliable, stable and compatible memory is more important to me than anything else.

Crucial - I won't buy anything else. Been using it for over twenty years (Micron -> Crucial - yes, I remember the name change ;) _ and in that 20 years, I've had ONE RMA. :)

Peace,
Tim

wow, i wasn't expecting this kind of turnout for crucial. keep it up guys! :D:D
(a lot of the younger kids hate them now because of the issues with the 1gb ballistix *tear*)

(cf)Eclipse said:
(a lot of the younger kids hate them now because of the issues with the 1gb ballistix *tear*)
I think crucial would be my second choice, because I hear so much good stuff about em here.

(cf)Eclipse said:

What are you...their #1 fan? :p

Anyhow, I get the strange impression that since the OP is a "Monarch Rep", he's trying to get feedback on what brands Monarch Computers should stock. In that case...

- G.Skill
- Teamgroup
- Crucial

Crucial And G.Skill. My Ballistix is insane. 280mhz, 2.9v, 2-2-2-5. Wonderful customer service, not one RMA yet. As for G.Skill, it was rated DDR400 2-3-3-6, but easy got to 250 on that.

I voted for Corsair. Just have had excellent luck with their memory, and their tech support unlike just about every other U.S. company is still LOCAL.

(cf)Eclipse said:
you haven't been around long enough to know my history ;) :p

I have

;)
lol ,,, JK E. :D

Anyhow. I have watched Gskill from the begining and also Teamgroup. Funny that i was one of the first 2 or three people on any of the major forums to really have Teamgroup memory. I have some of their BH5 and also some Tcccd. But it also Helps when I have very good Bro that works for them. Probably the same reasons I had Gskill so early cause he worked for them as well. But they are bot great performing memories. and they just OC like mad.

Captin Insano said:
But it also Helps when I have very good Bro that works for them. Probably the same reasons I had Gskill so early cause he worked for them as well. But they are bot great performing memories. and they just OC like mad.
yup, i'm loving the teamgroup sticks i have :D

Would've said Crucial but 3 RMAs later I'd have to go with G.Skill. Actually, I also own Geil which works well. So it would go G.Skill > Geil >>>>>>>>>>> Crucial. Hate dealing with RMAs.

I like Mushkin, and Crucial the best. Ive had bad expierences with both (just send one 1gig Ballistix to RMA), but their performance, and speed is great. Warranty and CS is great too.

Geil

Though I've never had to rma a memory stick, and I've used hundreds. Never had to rma a processor either, for that matter, just a couple of motherboards and a hard drive.

(cf)Eclipse said:
but only because you had some 1gb ballistix, right? :D

Nope, 512s. One lasted about 3 weeks, one about 4 months, and one about a year. I have owned Crucial memory previously that worked perfectly but this last experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. Not to mention that they cancelled the 1GB sticks so that people who have to RMA now might not get what they paid for. I liked Crucial before and that's why I bought the Ballistix but I will never go back. No problems with my G.Skill so far and they were quite cheap. I think I'll stick to other brands from now on.

ah, well, single sided 512mb sticks then (that used the same 5b D chips as the 1gb ballistix) i should have been more specific, because i can't ignore the bastard child of the normal 512mb sticks :p

OCZ is my #1 choice. I've had so many diffrent sticks of it. There RMA and Service departments are bar-none.

Others:
Gskill (Reps are great guys, they help even w/o there ram)
Mushkin (always performs good for me, kinda have a soft spot for them)
new and upcoming Team Group! There stuff looks promising! Can't wait till my 2gb kit gets here.

crucial, ive been running it for years in various systems with no problems, and they perform well too

(cf)Eclipse said:
ah, well, single sided 512mb sticks then (that used the same 5b D chips as the 1gb ballistix) i should have been more specific, because i can't ignore the bastard child of the normal 512mb sticks :p

Haha, nope. Three double-sided sticks. At the end the two sticks couldn't even run at 200MHz with the loosest timings without getting thousands of errors in memtest. The new G.Skills (PC-4000 1 GB sticks) run 250MHz 3-4-3-8 @ 2.65V all day with no errors in either the regular memtest or memtest for windows. Prime95 and SuperPI stable. Sandra might show that the 512 sticks of Ballistix were slightly faster in terms of bandwidth but so what? I get the impression that people on this board spend more time benchmarking their machines than using them. In reality, that small difference in bandwidth means almost nothing in real world apps. What is 3 fewer seconds on a 3.5 hour encoding job?

I currently work in distance education for a university. My job entails using machines to transcode .avi files into .wmv for a streaming server, .mp4 for podcasts, and several other formats specific to class needs. One of the programs we use is Camtasia Studio to capture classroom content. Often times, it's about even with regards to encode versus real-time, meaning for every one minute of class captured it takes one minute of encode time. Some classes we cover are three hours long or even more. That's THREE hours that the computer is encoding. The first problem I noticed with the Ballistix was that the encoding process crashed about halfway through. In this case, I didn't gain three seconds with the slightly higher bandwidth but I LOST 1.5 hours because the Ballistix line appears to have a flaw. When uptime and stability are ESSENTIAL it is impossible for me to trust a product that I've had to RMA THREE times. While sending RAM back three times might be ok for someone who just wants an extra 100mb/s in SANDRA, it is woefully inadequate for someone who NEEDS the machine to work. This is very unfortunate as Crucial used to be top-notch. With all the problems that Crucial has been having with the Ballistix line I just cannot see how anyone can recommend that RAM to someone who requires their machine to work every time. G.Skill has not let me down thus far.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just very frustrated with Crucial right now and for good reason IMO. My machine is a crucial part of my job and I can't have hardware failures all the time.

I have been a Corsair fan for a while now.. I know they don't get a lot of love around here, but I have found their quality to be top notch which I like... I don't mind paying a little extra to know I am getting a great quality product. Plus having a 2gb kit run cas2.5-3-3-6 1t @ 255mhz is not too shabby.. I did like PDP systems TCCD offering tho (using brainpower pcb)... I have been keeping my eyes on them as a budget performance oriented option for good memory... I want to try some OCZ or G.Skill chips next.. I keep hearing/reading good things about those two...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back