What is your "coping" strategy for the time until you can get a latest-model Nvidia/AMD GPU?

I'm still happy with my 2080 so far, but will definitely jump on a MSRP 3080 if given the chance and I have put a little (not a lot) of effort into doing so since they launched. I scored a PS5 and XSX at least, so I've been playing on PS5 more lately anyways since Sony has been updating its exclusives on there to 60 FPS at least. At least I can mine on my card and my son's RX570 8GB as well in the mean time to get something in return for the ridiculous supply issue (honestly something I should have started doing years ago). If I can score a 3070 or higher anytime soon, I'll keep both cards in my PC and mine on both of them as well to offset whatever markup I'll invariably be paying on it, which I'd recommend anyone buying these cards at these crazy prices do at least, because "voting with your wallet" (or lack of mining in this case) realistically isn't going to mitigate the supply and markup situation, so you might as well join them and get something back for it.

I think the updated version of "what would you do for a Klondike bar" is "What would you do for a 3080".

Yeah. Look deeply in that mirror.

Buy a 30xx laptop like I did, sure it's the mobile so it's not as fast but you can get a high power spec'ed 3070 laptop for what some of the scalpers are asking for a 3080 and at least you get HDMI 2.1 if that's part of why you want a 30xx.

I did manage to get a 3080FTW3 in the early days but I also want to build a HTPC that I would also game on from time to time and my TV only takes HDMI 2.1 so I picked up a Aorus 15G XC.

I cope by enjoying free Cod weeks.
I've been really enjoying the zombie Outbreak mode.

There's something soothing about playing bots and not worrying about hackers or kids rocking 300fps rigs.

Buy a 30xx laptop like I did, sure it's the mobile so it's not as fast but you can get a high power spec'ed 3070 laptop for what some of the scalpers are asking for a 3080 and at least you get HDMI 2.1 if that's part of why you want a 30xx.

I did manage to get a 3080FTW3 in the early days but I also want to build a HTPC that I would also game on from time to time and my TV only takes HDMI 2.1 so I picked up a Aorus 15G XC.

I think that's gonna be hit or miss or depend on the laptop. Unlike on a discrete graphics card, the GPU on a laptop isn't necessarily hooked up to the display output, it's more likely hooked up to the chipset video output, in which case who knows which OEMs built a HDMI 2.1 output stack on their laptops this gen.

Also the mobile 3070s/3080s, while they have good hash rates for mining, aren't really the same class as the desktop cards. They are much closer to a 2070/2080 level of performance (where the PS5/XSX) are at. Which is...kind of scary when you think those consoles can be had for under $500 retail and these laptops are 2-3k.

I think that's gonna be hit or miss or depend on the laptop. Unlike on a discrete graphics card, the GPU on a laptop isn't necessarily hooked up to the display output, it's more likely hooked up to the chipset video output, in which case who knows which OEMs built a HDMI 2.1 output stack on their laptops this gen.

Also the mobile 3070s/3080s, while they have good hash rates for mining, aren't really the same class as the desktop cards. They are much closer to a 2070/2080 level of performance (where the PS5/XSX) are at. Which is...kind of scary when you think those consoles can be had for under $500 retail and these laptops are 2-3k.

I'm pretty sure every one of the 30xx laptop I looked at have HDMI 2.1 output (at least all the major brands). Yes, you are going to take a performance hit compared to the desktop GPU especially if you get a low power version. I think there are 80W,105W, 115W and130W versions. I got the 105W version of the 3070 instead of the 3080 or the 130W ones because I want a thin and light package (4.4lbs) and cooler, quieter profile, and it would good enough for a HTPC that I occasionally game on. As I said, it all depends on your needs.

Playing 1080p games. Still on a GTX 970 on an 1080p ultrawide monitor. But the i7 3770 system that's running it is very long in the tooth. 10 y.o. next year- the longest I've used any build. (I had postponed upgrades to build a NAS four years ago)

But I didn't want to build a new system with a second-choice GPU or my current GPU. I'm sitting on the funds until all the supply-side issues resolve themselves.

I bought one of those Chinese Rockchip emulator pocket handhelds. Working through my NES backlog, which is worse than my Steam backlog.

LOL. Just found a 5950X on AMD's site for MSRP and, like many others, the purchase errored out and now its OOS.

LOL. Just found a 5950X on AMD's site for MSRP and, like many others, the purchase errored out and now its OOS.

It was probably oos before you even hit the add to cart button. That's how it normally works.

Just need the ps5 (including ps4 games i never played) backlog to last until fall. Strongly suspect crypto hard crash by then.

Just need the ps5 (including ps4 games i never played) backlog to last until fall. Strongly suspect crypto hard crash by then.

I'm not going to lie, I'm fairly impressed by the ps5 (I assume I'd be impressed by the xbox x as well). The only thing that's not impressive is, the size. I definitely don't like the design.

I bought Skyrim the day it came out and havent started it yet. Maybe I’ll start that as a coping mechanism.

Fun fact, we have all 4 of these in my bar. (Well, we have Rip Van Winkle 10 year, not pappy's but its as close as you'll likely gonna get.)
There is something really nice about good Bourbon, especially if you visit the distillery. And you can actually buy all the bourbon you want (maybe not Pappys.) unlike GPUs. Like I'm ever going to visit a TSMC foundry or any of the AIB factories.

I feel that way about beer. There's a reason that I abandoned the tech industry and make a living bartending at a brewery instead. Beercations are my and my wife's favorite weekend escape.

when the going gets tough,the tough get going or waiting in this case. nothing from evga now going with best buy for a FE 3060ti. I think that's the best bet.

Been playing PS5 and almost forgot I have a gaming PC. Threw my R9 Fury in after selling my Vega 64 (regret that now) before RDNA2 hit and now rarely use my system.

Continue to simrace on what was once my back-up card...a GTX770...while waiting to see what the Intel Xe HPG DG2 has to offer.
Things are not all bad...especially with some settings turned down. It is only a 4GB card with no bells and whistles but it'll do for now.

I'm not going to lie, I'm fairly impressed by the ps5 (I assume I'd be impressed by the xbox x as well). The only thing that's not impressive is, the size. I definitely don't like the design.
Custom PS5 Case there needs to be a 3D model of this so people can have access to the cmos when it dies.

Playing my Switch or using my workhorse 1080ti to play everything at max settings 1920x1080

I still get a kick out of how great Quake 3 Arena runs on an 10 year old i3 laptop hooked up to a CRT running at 100Hz.

Well with 2/3rds of the holy trinity and not wanting to pay for the latest Radeon or GeForce, I have a line on a couple cards I gave away to friends...

I have a friend with an air cooled 6900 and either an OG Titan or a Pascal-based Titan I gave him previously, and he's willing to let me have them back...

thats good cept og titan those cant sell for poop. lol i have the og black versions still game perfectly fine for the games kids would play certainly better then a gt 710. pascal titans still go for $1000+

Playing 1080p games. Still on a GTX 970 on an 1080p ultrawide monitor. But the i7 3770 system that's running it is very long in the tooth. 10 y.o. next year- the longest I've used any build. (I had postponed upgrades to build a NAS four years ago)

But I didn't want to build a new system with a second-choice GPU or my current GPU. I'm sitting on the funds until all the supply-side issues resolve themselves.

Similar here....i7-4770K on Abit Z87-Pro running Sapphire 7970 on a BenQ XL2420TE monitor running Strobelight

I built mine June 2013 and I am so ready for a new PC. My dedicated PC savings account has grown nicely while waiting. Would have built sooner but ended up skipping Battlefield 1 and Battlefield V.

Ps5 will keep me going till 2022 or whenever 5nm/3nm GPUs hit. Whatever will let me play cyberpunk 2077 in 4k maxed ray tracing. Managed to avoid playing it near launch

thats good cept og titan those cant sell for poop. lol i have the og black versions still game perfectly fine for the games kids would play certainly better then a gt 710. pascal titans still go for $1000+

The OG Titan has "issues". (made a thread about it elsewhere on the forums) that I am hoping to resolve this weekend. If that doesn't work I'll end up buying an overpriced 6900xt or 3090 most likely

new vegas is still awsome i been trying get back into DOOM since new one is far to wtf did they do to it.

I can still play all the games I was playing at the beginning of last year on my 1080ti's.... long live DX11 and SLI profiles.

I'll skip this gen too if the prices don't come out of orbit.

Back