What is your "coping" strategy for the time until you can get a latest-model Nvidia/AMD GPU?

Thing is, the cost of many other hobbies has skyrocketed over the past year as well. I was able to get most of my gear prior to prices going bananas, but weights (or anything fitness), kayaks, boats, skeet and target shooting... Hell, my aunt was complaining the cost of knitting supplies has gone up. They've all about doubled in cost over the past year and a half.
I have to agree. My other hobbies ( Vintage Audio) and painting have also gone up in prices. I managed to upgrade from my 7700K to the 5800X. For a while I could not snag a new card, so I decided to upgrade the rig, but continue to use the 1070. It gives me my gaming fix and I'm still able to enjoy my games. However the classic audio department on ebay has gone bat guano crazy and people have raised their prices 5x. I haven't been able to pick up an old amp/pre-amp/receiver in over 6 months. At least my painting hobby is still intact.

Will be using a 2080ti for four years is what it seems like at this point. Considering I got one at launch, it's making me feel better about how much it cost since i'm being forced to use it for so long now.

I have to agree. My other hobbies ( Vintage Audio) and painting have also gone up in prices. I managed to upgrade from my 7700K to the 5800X. For a while I could not snag a new card, so I decided to upgrade the rig, but continue to use the 1070. It gives me my gaming fix and I'm still able to enjoy my games. However the classic audio department on ebay has gone bat guano crazy and people have raised their prices 5x. I haven't been able to pick up an old amp/pre-amp/receiver in over 6 months. At least my painting hobby is still intact.

I'm on a lot of different forums for a lot of different hobbies. It seems like used-everything went up in price at the same time. I'm guessing it's mostly (hyper)inflation.

I'm on a lot of different forums for a lot of different hobbies. It seems like used-everything went up in price at the same time. I'm guessing it's mostly (hyper)inflation.
That's not hyper inflation. There has been lots of shortages driving prices up. Think about the GPU market, it has almost nothing to do with inflation, it's tariffs and scalpers/miners.

That's not hyper inflation. There has been lots of shortages driving prices up. Think about the GPU market, it has almost nothing to do with inflation, it's tariffs and scalpers/miners.
I think it can be both. In the case of GPUs, I agree that supply/demand issues are a bigger factor than inflation, but I think some inflation is in there too.

My strategy was not to whine and go get what I wanted. Everything is purchasable if you put the effort into it. I managed to get 5 gpus and 3 ps5 for various friends/family without trying that hard.
Effort? What effort did you put in to get those cards? I haven't even seen a 3 series graphics card listed for sale bellow 2x msrp since they released. Current retail price for 3080s here is $3500. So if by effort you mean paying 5x MSRP, then you are right. Why do you assume that everyone is in the same situation and has the same opportunities as you?

I've kind of accepted the fact that it's unlikely I'll be able to get a card at MSRP within this year.

I'm looking to get the PS5, hopefully soon before someone figures out how to mine on these consoles :eek:
I've always had a PS console to play the exclusives, and JRPGs. So I'll focus on those games for the time being.

Effort? What effort did you put in to get those cards? I haven't even seen a 3 series graphics card listed for sale bellow 2x msrp since they released. Current retail price for 3080s here is $3500. So if by effort you mean paying 5x MSRP, then you are right. Why do you assume that everyone is in the same situation and has the same opportunities as you?
Touché

My strategy was not to whine and go get what I wanted. Everything is purchasable if you put the effort into it. I managed to get 5 gpus and 3 ps5 for various friends/family without trying that hard.
Second sentence suggests it’s hard But possible if willing. Last sentence suggests it’s not very hard at all. Which is it?

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they weren't there. I got 2 cards from EVGA, I traded for a couple in the FS/FT threads, and bought some online. Right now I have 4 3XXX cards for my family and traded two other RX 6XXX cards. I have a full time job other than hunting for video cards, and didn't pay a scalper. It took more than zero effort, but it wasn't impossible.

Second sentence suggests it’s hard But possible if willing. Last sentence suggests it’s not very hard at all. Which is it?
It is not walk into a store or order online anytime easy but with a little effort you can get something.

I guess we will see how much prices go back down once the shortages end...

I have a strong feeling that prices will never completely return to "normal" and if so, I would say that qualifies as inflation at that point.

I have a strong feeling that prices will never completely return to "normal" and if so, I would say that qualifies as inflation at that point.

Inflation certainly has a role to play in pricing, but it’s a secondary factor next to scalping due to supply issues. Once the supply issue corrects it will remain a secondary factor next to tariffs on all except FE cards Since iirc, those are the only ones not coming from China.

Why not? People bought them at release for right near MSRP. In fact, we had lots of people on this forum arguing that the Turing cards represented the "new pricing" and because of costs to manufacture we won't see similar pricing to pascal again. Turned out that was not true at all.

Thing is, the cost of many other hobbies has skyrocketed over the past year as well. I was able to get most of my gear prior to prices going bananas, but weights (or anything fitness), kayaks, boats, skeet and target shooting... Hell, my aunt was complaining the cost of knitting supplies has gone up. They've all about doubled in cost over the past year and a half.
Planet Fitness, $10/month, virtually 24/7 now here in Florida, all the weights you will ever need. Also nice things to look at as well, of course I am too busy being in pain to notice.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they weren't there. I got 2 cards from EVGA, I traded for a couple in the FS/FT threads, and bought some online. Right now I have 4 3XXX cards for my family and traded two other RX 6XXX cards. I have a full time job other than hunting for video cards, and didn't pay a scalper. It took more than zero effort, but it wasn't impossible.
I also don't think I spent too much effort, Dec 2020, 3090 and Feb 2021 6900 XT. Today I do not think I would be as remotely as lucky. Been periodically looking for a third card and everything appears to be way more different, outrageous from likes of Newegg and other stores. Only Bestbuy seems to be trying to maintain some kind of MSRP pricing but always out. I just refuse to spend anytime over then opportunity to look at options for purchase plus the need is really not there and is more a hobby.

As for mining, lol, Crypto continues it's traditional dump after a ridicules hyper bubble up. Average is 80% to 90% dump if the short life span of the Crypto universe history keeps repeating itself. I would predict in a couple of months a lot of cards becoming available for those trying to recoup some of the purchases on the outrageous priced cards they bought. Meaning the used card market will drive down the cost of the new cards, at least I hope so. Also by then when the shadows of having to be isolated from everyone in the world goes away, people will rediscover all the other things they can do which may cast a shadow on the entrapment and what was related to it. As in get out of that house and the stuff they did, Netflicks, Primevideo, Games -> YUCK! Fishing, going out with friends, going to concerts, partying . . . living, hell yeah.

mine was build pcs sell them off as i haf 5 Titan X gpus in my storage. built 5 systems rasied enough to pay a scalper for a 3090 FE.

I'm seeing miners selling the rigs on ebay, fb marketplace-- altho at inflated prices. I'm seeing the scalper market prices dropping-- week by week. Theres light at the end of tunnel, if you want the latest and greatest right now-- it can help to not be too picky... or just wait a few more months when LHR cards hit. Waited almost a year now... whats a few more months?

Thing is, the cost of many other hobbies has skyrocketed over the past year as well. I was able to get most of my gear prior to prices going bananas, but weights (or anything fitness), kayaks, boats, skeet and target shooting...

I picked up my astronomy equipment right after the first of the year when supplies were starting to dry up, and now the mount I bought is backordered six months, with people paying near-retail for used equipment.

I picked up my astronomy equipment right after the first of the year when supplies were starting to dry up, and now the mount I bought is backordered six months, with people paying near-retail for used equipment.

Used cars in my region are up, really up. Appliances are up across the country. I can think of a few other things like that.

Actually Best Buy has the 3080 FE at 599 which is MSRP, not in stock as usual.
BB stocks them every other Wednesday or Thursday. Good luck actually getting one though. Best I’ve been able to do is add them to my cart

same but then it crashes saying there is a problem or this online only item isnt available online ><

I'm seriously thinking about going the botting route. This is depressing.Wanted to build me and the misses new gaming PCs (and a couple of PS5s), but at this rate, I don't see that happening. Even following these in-stock Discords and Twitter and everything else, all I've managed to do in the last 6+ months has just been adding it to the cart only to have it be out of stock by the time the checkout page loads. It's absolute madness. Buying a GPU at 4-5x the MSRP is just insane. I can afford to buy these things at ridiculous prices, but it's the principle of not supporting this hot garbage that keeps me from doing so. I feel like good bots are probably going to be thousands of dollars, but that's what I'll be paying anyway over MSRP just to get a couple CPUs, GPUs, and PS5s. This is epicly stupid.

Shoganai there was a pc gamer article i believe a few weeks back they tried the botting route it didnt yeild them any gpus as it kept getting orders cancelled. from amazon and other E-tailers. i caved and bought from the cheapest scalper i cold find i got away with 2x msrp not 5x like they are now for 3090 FE,

Technology prices being higher are absolutely due to inflation. It's not the sole cause, but it's a decent part of it. As the USD devalues more and more, emerging markets along with most of Asia can command higher prices since their currency is now worth more compared to the USD.

Yes, there are shortages as well, but again, that's not the sole driver of the inflation of the USD.

I can afford to buy these things at ridiculous prices, but it's the principle of not supporting this hot garbage that keeps me from doing so.

Same here. The money is not an issue, but supporting this kind of markup is a no go. Up here in Canada Best Buy didn't bother with an online drop last week, instead they spread stock to stores and you had to physically walk in and buy them. Didn't work out all that great though, I missed an EVGA 3070 by a minute and a couple hours later CL and FB were flooded with highly marked up brand new EVGA 3070s and 3060s. Personally I would be OK with a bit of a markup with a scalper, like 20-30% but triple+ MSRP is too much. I'm much more likely to buy a prebuilt than I am to support the scalpers.

I just looked at Ebay for 3060 Ti cards and it's obvious the scalpers rule there. So I've had to think how I'm going to cope before prices come down to something normal, whatever that means. And based on news reports, I don't expect to get that 3060 Ti until sometime in 2022.

What's your strategy?

I have decided to build my own. Obviously, I cannot use nanometer scaling. Hell, I can't even use lithography. Instead, I bought a sheet of plywood (you think GPUs are expensive? Try lumber!!!), and I opened an account with Mouser.com. I've got boxes of transistors and diodes and spools of 20 gauge wire. No, it won't fit inside my computer, but when I'm done, I'll just use some long adapter cables and plug into my motherboard.

Progress has been good so far: I have the plywood.

Technology prices being higher are absolutely due to inflation. It's not the sole cause, but it's a decent part of it. As the USD devalues more and more, emerging markets along with most of Asia can command higher prices since their currency is now worth more compared to the USD.

Yes, there are shortages as well, but again, that's not the sole driver of the inflation of the USD.
I'm not sure how you can argue that with a straight face. The price of a 3080 msrp vs. scalp/ebay prices are over 100% higher. The dollar is only 10% lower than a year ago...

Shoganai there was a pc gamer article i believe a few weeks back they tried the botting route it didnt yeild them any gpus as it kept getting orders cancelled. from amazon and other E-tailers. i caved and bought from the cheapest scalper i cold find i got away with 2x msrp not 5x like they are now for 3090 FE,
Pretty sure they weren't doing it properly/using the right bot since clearly everyone else is having massive success with botting. If every scalper was doing it like PC Gamer, there wouldn't be a scalping bot problem. From what I've seen, the best bots are very exclusive and in limited quantities so as to stay low profile and circumvent/keep things like that from happening. The common bots anyone can get are hot garbage.

I'm not sure how you can argue that with a straight face. The price of a 3080 msrp vs. scalp/ebay prices are over 100% higher. The dollar is only 10% lower than a year ago...
There's nuance to this discussion, and i'm guessing you didn't catch that in my post.

Not sure why you're bringing in scalper prices to this. We base this off of MSRP, if you want to pay scalper prices by all means do so.

It would seem to me based off your statement you don't comprehend the scale of how bad the situation is right now, and the terrifying part is there is no end in sight for at least the next 3.5 years.

Last edited:
Because we're in the GPU subthread and this thread is about the difficulty of trying to buy one?

And of course there is nuance but to chalk it up to inflation just doesn't make sense. Again why did all the manufacturers raise prices recently, did they say inflation caused them to? No it was tariffs...

Because we're in the GPU subthread and this thread is about the difficulty of trying to buy one?

And of course there is nuance but to chalk it up to inflation just doesn't make sense. Again why did all the manufacturers raise prices recently, did they say inflation caused them to? No it was tariffs...
Everyone knows whose great idea it was to impose tariffs because they thought a certain country would pay them, someone who clearly would have flunked econ 101.

Simply to try and forget GPUs exist. Coming here is pretty self-defeating in that regard. I can't help myself though.

Back