what is your best gpu that is just colecting dust

i mean a troubleshooting gpu doesnt need to be good tho
Thats why my best gpus collecting dust are gtx580s sitting in boxes on my parts shelf within arms reach of my workbench. The rest are water cooled or in completed rigs im loathe to pull apart (i am so so lazy).

A 1080ti, but it is my reserve back in it's original box. It's good enough to give me something to use while I wait on a RMA if my main dies. In this era of nearly unavailable cards at anything approaching reasonable prices, I don't want to be left with just integrated while seeking reasonable prices. I will get rid of it, and by get rid of it, I mean give it to a friend or family member in need, when I can get a current gen high end card, at which point I will make my 2080 a back up card.

Scalpers can die btw.
When I got my 3080 in January I was going to sell my 1080Ti FTW3, but procrastinated. A month later I bought the Hybrid kit for the 3080 and my 3080 died during the install.
Not sure what I did wrong but the PC wouldn't post with the card installed. Had to RMA it and I was expecting to be without a card for weeks or months due to the shortage.
I put my 1080Ti back in and opted for an Advance RMA so that I could use the same shipping box they send the replacement in.
I got my replacement a week later, I was quite surprised.

Oh, I did sell my 1080Ti FTW3 last month to a member here since I didn't need it anymore since I picked up a 3080Ti FE from Best Buy on launch day so now I have a spare card.

i mean a troubleshooting gpu doesnt need to be good tho
I have this old Quadro FX 580 that I use for troubleshooting.
Had to use it to troubleshoot my dead 3080 since EVGA wanted to see what shows up in Task Manager.
It did show the card but then the PC blue screened and wouldn't post again with the 3080 installed.
IMG_0849.JPEG

Took a vanity pic of the dead card and replacement card and asked where the SLI connector goes.
IMG_0893.JPEG

290x currently, sitting in its box -- will remain my back-up card for the time being. Just unloaded a 780ti, 295x2 and a Radeon VII for an ungodly sum. Was able to buy a used squat sled, 100kg more in weights AND a kayak with the proceeds which is bananas considering these items are selling for well over pre-pandemic prices.

Trouble is, my wife now feels she's due an $1800 "gift" to recompense her. I replied that as soon as she sold any of her dozens of old designer handbags that sit ununsed, I'd be happy to talk -- didn't go over very well.

Last edited:
I think I still have an MSI 5900 GTX or whatever it's called still around here somewhere. Everything else I've liquidated. I don't keep parts when they could be money and therefore something else.

It was a PNY Verto GeForce GT 610 until my 7970 died and it became my primary card.

Asus 2080 Strix OC

Got my last 3000 series card a month or so ago and the box has been collecting dust since. It’s in its box in a closet.

I have a Sapphire HD 3850 I bought new, now chilling out getting dusty...yeah I know its the wrong 30 series card

Nothing new or useful at this stage. Got a couple 5770's and a GTX 570 in my parts closet. I had a GTX 670 as well, but it got damaged and at this point just e-wasted it.

Once I actually get the new rig up, then my current GTX 980 will become the "backup card".

Radeon HD5770 in my server since I replaced it with an RX570 in my main machine. It's technically not gathering dust but does practically nothing. The HD5770 replaced an nVidia 8600GT so it's now collecting dust. I might have an nVidia 7600GT with a non-working fan around somewhere and my old, dead 8800GT is sitting in the box the HD5770 came in but since it's mostly dead I don't really count it.

I have a Gigabyte factory OC'd Vega64 lying around. I keep other small dinky cards like a GT 730 around for testing.

Amateurs. 9600GT. Great for troubleshooting (doesn't need external power). I guess technically I have a new unused 480GTX in a box, but it's watercooled and frankly not worth the electricity to even power on.

290x currently, sitting in its box -- will remain my back-up card for the time being. Just unloaded a 780ti, 295x2 and a Radeon VII for an ungodly sum. Was able to buy a used squat sled, 100kg more in weights AND a kayak with the proceeds which is bananas considering these items are selling for well over pre-pandemic prices.

Trouble is, my wife now feels she's due an $1800 "gift" to recompense her. I replied that as soon as she sold any of her dozens of old designer handbags that sit ununsed, I'd be happy to talk -- didn't go over very well.

Start wearing short shorts around after leg day and say "Your welcome". :LOL:

Just gave my GTX 980 to my nephew so he can wait a bit longer for pricing to return to something a bit more normal. It's been gathering dust since my 1080TI purchase 4 years ago which was only $750. Weird that I could probably sell that for the same price or more than what I originally purchased it at.

Unlocked 6950 in a drawer which isn't worth selling and doesn't have modern driver support. Maybe also the 1050 in the HTPC as it is literally just used to send a 4K signal.

Ive got a pair of GTX 580's (ones a 3gb version!) plus a pair of HD7970 non ghz edition, yet the core clocks are both 1ghz (perfect IMO).

Ive got a 5970 somwhere, plus ive been trying to trade my 290X for any nvidia card of similar performance, so for now thats just chilling out doing nothing.

Back