What is ya'll's file copying prog of choice? Robocopy? NTBackup?

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
I perform weekly backups locally and across the wire at home here and have been using Robocopy. It's pretty fast and has been 100% reliable.

Can I improve on this? I tried to download a program called Fast Copy 1.0, but the mirrors all puke out when I try.

I generally like xxcopy, and often use it for single file transfers because it's pretty fast, but I have seen some issues with it at times (files missed). If you're using it for backups, at least to start, I'd recommend following through with a directory comparison afterwards.

wouldn't the gramatically correct version of the title be "all y'all's"?

Anyway, I have only used robocopy, but I'd love to hear about an alternative to the multi-master replication that Windows FRS uses.

I've never had problems with xxcopy. Tons of switches, but the easiest way to backup is just to use the /clone /ff /y switches (I think /ff /y; not 100% sure).

drizzt81 said:
wouldn't the gramatically correct version of the title be "all y'all's"?

Not Xactly....
Spekin as a True Southerner
He could say "all y'all's" or he could just say "y'all's" in normal usage and be perfectly fine.
But to be completely gramatically correct he shouldn't use "all y'all's" because "y'all's" is a contraction of "you all's". Just like "ain't is a contraction of "am not" . So, "all y'all's" would be the same as saying "all you all's" - which is only correct usage for REDNECK southerners.
Like me! :p

We even say stuff like "y'all ain't" which translates to Yankee as "you all am not"

I just wish that the OP had spelt "y'all" correctly. :(

I have tried others, but always end up back with robocopy. It is super reliable, the logging is great, its small, I keep it and a standard bat file on my keychain, and its free.

rodsfree said:
Not Xactly....
Spekin as a True Southerner
He could say "all y'all's" or he could just say "y'all's" in normal usage and be perfectly fine.
But to be completely gramatically correct he shouldn't use "all y'all's" because "y'all's" is a contraction of "you all's". Just like "ain't is a contraction of "am not" . So, "all y'all's" would be the same as saying "all you all's" - which is only correct usage for REDNECK southerners.
Like me! :p

We even say stuff like "y'all ain't" which translates to Yankee as "you all am not"

I just wish that the OP had spelt "y'all" correctly. :(
thanks for the thorough explanation. As a foreigner, it is difficult to get those things straight ;)

As the OP, I wish I would've "spelt" it correctly as well. But hey, I'm a born & raised Colorado guy, whaddya expect? :)

I guess I'll stick with Robocopy and my .bat's.

You could try rsync, especially if you're going over network. Setting up an rsync server is fairly easy - DeltaCopy will install as a service on Windows machines, and rsyncd works for Linux/*BSD/whatever, mostly. You can set up logging yourself, although it doesn't do it unless you ask it to.

drizzt81 said:
thanks for the thorough explanation. As a foreigner, it is difficult to get those things straight ;)

You sure are welcome!

Brahmzy said:
As the OP, I wish I would've "spelt" it correctly as well. But hey, I'm a born & raised Colorado guy, whaddya expect? :)

Believe it or not "spelt" is a real word. :p
You have to worry about inbreeding when they start using "spelt-ed" on you!
And don't feel bad, not everybody can be born in the south....
Which is a good thing..... in more ways than one!

Colorado - Spent 6 Months at Ft. Carson when I was in the Army.
It's strange how a place can be a mile high and perfectly flat - until it hits Cheyanne Mountain - then it goes almost straight up. Made me feel like a dust-bunny living in the corner between the floor and wall. :rolleyes:

Sync Toy from Microsoft gets the job done quite well.

Other than that to copy, I simply right click and select copy then right click and paste.

I use robocopy.

Small, Lightweight and doesn't have some "crappy" installer... can keep on a thumbdrive, floppy, cd-rom, webserver, etc.

Free

Reliable and Stable

Good logging.

Easy to use (just create a batch file and can either be double clicked or run from AT or Schtasks).

Back