What is wrong with my Athlon 64 3000+?

Unit-0

Limp Gawd
I just received my Athlon 64 3000+ last night, along w/ the rest of my system specs in my sig.

First thing I did after OCing this baby a little was load up 3DMark2002 CPU test. I was appalled at the microscopic performance increase over my previous CPU! The tests cranked out consistently in the 6900's CPU scores.

My previous CPU was an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ @ 1.7 GHz stock speed, running on an ancient ECS K7S5A rev1 mobo. That thing churned out 5100's CPU score consistently.

So we have 6900/5100 = +35% performance increase!

Oh my god that's it??! I was expecting performance percentage deltas to be in the hundreds at least. Did I get a faulty CPU?

I'll post my CPU-Z image up later today soon as I get home.

CPU reads as: "NewCastle" (specifics are in the sig)

Let that be a lesson to you, that your old rig was actually pretty good :cool:

BTW if that's really not a big enough gain for you, you may want to consider changing to a different brand of CRACK. :rolleyes:

edit: just kidding, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Ok , there is a reason why I might've sounded a bit insane - but get this:

My old setup scored 10800 in 3DMark2001 SE. The new one gets 18000's something, which is about 67% better - that's ok with me.

My old RAM was 640MB Crucial PC2100 runnin 2.5-3-2-8 and got 3500's on 3DMark2002 MEM tests. New set of RAM from Mushkin slapped an awesome 9100's something on the bench! 260% the performance of the old RAM! <--- This is the primary reason for being a bit frustrated at the new CPU.

Originally posted by Unit-0
PCMark2002 =\ bah, you know what I'm talking about.

Good, I thought for a second that Futuremark went back in time and created 3dMark2002 :)

Originally posted by Unit-0
My old RAM was 640MB Crucial PC2100 runnin 2.5-3-2-8 and got 3500's on 3DMark2002 MEM tests. New set of RAM from Mushkin slapped an awesome 9100's something on the bench! 260% the performance of the old RAM! <--- This is the primary reason for being a bit frustrated at the new CPU.
If you were expecting 260% increase in performance in everything based on the 260% increase in performance on a synthetic benchmark, then you now can understand what synthetic benchmarks are good for, but more specifically in this case, NOT good for (real world performance expectation).

the benchmark is more dependant on the actual mhz of the chip then the intsructions, cache enhancements and any other improvements.

/shrug

it is only a benchmark after all.

You went from 1.7GHz to 2.0GHz. Your CPU benchmark seems to follow these lines.

yeah, but his 2.0 ghz cpu is for sure faster then my 2.3 ghz, 2.2 ghz or my 1.7 ghz Cpu's. Check the sig to refer these speeds to their respective processors.

What are your sandra scores? 8450/4136 here for the cpu test with my 3000+. Your memory could be holding you back so check on that. Make sure you mobo settings are not on auto for your timings.

P.S. Im getting around 620 for the cpu test on 3dmark 03 with radeon 9800 pro and k8t neo

play a game and see if there's a noticable difference.
If there isn't you blew your money.

Dude those scores are pretty good... what were you expecting?

Sisoft Sandra is totally synthetic and pretty useless IMHO. It's nice for P4 users with HT to show off, that's about it. To me, there's a night and day difference, especially in games, between my old 2500+@3200+ speeds and this 3000+ at 2.2ghz.

Don't worry about synthetic benchmarks. I'm sure your new setup kicks your old setups ass in real world performance. Like loading windows, loading applications, frame rates in games, etc.

And don't feel bad, my PC mark is like 3900. LOL. Not for long though... :)

Back