What Is Wrong With My 2 Monitor Setup?

Italiano86

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. Not sure when this started to happen, but after I oc'd my galaxy 470 gtx which is on water a few weeks back things have been kind of weird, which could be coincidental about the OC. I used occt to make sure I got no artifacts so the oc is stable with the voltage at 1.0875.

I have my dell 24" ultrasharp as the primary and my samsung 55b7100 as the secondary, but for some reason one day, just before the login screen, the monitor would lose signal as if it went asleep. I can unplug my tv and then the signal comes back on, but when I plug it back in, BAM. It goes back off and the tv will stay on and show the landscape of my desktop. :confused:

The only way I can fix this is to put my dell on the second input on the card and the tv in the first, so it's reversed in windows even though my dell shows as #2, it's listed as the primary monitor. This is driving me crazy trying to figure out. I updated to latest nvidia drivers, and even ran drive sweeper and did a clean install but was back to square one soon after with the same issue.

The only thing I can think of is my card is either defective or just being a bitch and trying to make me mad, lol. I put it's ass on water so I don't know what its deal is. :rolleyes:

You need to make sure your refresh rate is the same on both. If your TV is using a refresh rate that your monitor doesn't support, it can cause this. You can change them individually in any OS.

You hosed your setup. Boot up with only your monitor hooked up, remove the drivers and reinstall them, do not plug in your second monitor until the drivers are reinstalled and the system reboots. Once you plug your secondary monitor back set it as clone or extended and post back. I've helped someone who had this happen and I'm pretty sure that fixed the problem.

You hosed your setup. Boot up with only your monitor hooked up, remove the drivers and reinstall them, do not plug in your second monitor until the drivers are reinstalled and the system reboots. Once you plug your secondary monitor back set it as clone or extended and post back. I've helped someone who had this happen and I'm pretty sure that fixed the problem.

That's exactly what I did to try and fix it. I uninstalled all nvidia display drivers, rebooted in safe mode and used drive sweeper, rebooted again to install nvidia, rebooted with just the single monitor and when everything was cool, plugged in the tv. I did all this with just the dell on the primary DVI port. This worked until I restarted and the same thing happened just before the login screen, the main went to sleep. It would only work if I had the dell on the 2nd port and the tv on the first, but it's annoying this way because windows sees the dell as the primary but it's listed as 2.

I will try setting my dell to 60hz, but I believe it is meant to be run at 59 for some reason, I remember that having it at 60 did something weird not too long ago but not exactly what.

Thanks for the input, will see what happens.

I played with the oc and nothing changed, I think it was just coincidence it happened. I ran occt gpu test with kombuster and prime 95 all at the same time and had no errors, so it's rock stable. Temps are awesome too.

Update: Changing the monitor to 60 hz in windows settings didn't do anything. Plugging in the tv immediately makes the monitor lose signal and go into power save mode which the dells do. Also, with both plugged in it shows the windows load screen, but right after and just before the win7 sound chimes the monitor sleeps. :confused: This is truly odd, lol.

Also noticed after restarting windows set the monitor back to 59hz...

Last edited:

Did this little "tweak" and while it didn't change the dell sleep problem, it fixed my frame issue in two worlds 2, which I will explain.

I was in the middle of playing when I alt-tabbed out of the game, and when I went back into the game, I noticed my framerate literally felt like it halved on me. The game has always been ultra smooth, even with settings cranked to the max in nvidia control panel, but no matter what I did the frames felt horrible all of a sudden. I alt-tabbed out of the game again to look at the gpu usage and the core clock appeared to be stuck at 405, which it should have been around the 700 oc I have always used. I don't even know how this happened but doing this tweak seems to have doubled my frames to where they were before. Haven't had this bug happen since before the tweak either. I use vsync in the game so I am guessing windows had the game running at < 30 fps and doing this tweak allows it to have vsync run at 60 again.

That bit of good new aside, the vid card has been worrying me lately, especially with the clock being stuck at 405 like that just tonight. I have never noticed this before and it has me wondering if there is a larger issue going on.

Plugging in my tv's dvi cable after doing the tweak again resulted in my main monitor sleeping with no signal, so back to square one again I suppose. I will probably just call it a day and switch the cables to the opposite ports to be my "fix" for now, but would still like to figure out what is causing this. It makes me feel like my vid card is a dud.

Does anyone else have any ideas to what I can try? I cannot find anything online that is similar to my issue.

Try a different video card and try different cables. One of these two must have gone bad, assuming it's not the displays (unlikely).

Back