What is up with this 6970?

Nothing really, it's a card made by sapphire, and it essentially uses a slightly more primitive version of the reference cooler (which is a good cooler anyway). $300AR is the going rate for these versions of the cards.

is it going to be very very hot? I see posts on how people try to stay away from single fan 69xx series card.

It's the same card as the Toxic 6950 (PCB and fan wise)
They had them on sale for $309 and then $279 after rebate a week ago

Mine are quiet and run cool
- let me be clear, they are quiet under 100% load, if i crank the fan to 100% they are LOUD, but the fan normally sits at about 45% under full 100% gpu load.

What do you mean this is the same card as the toxic 6950?
So this is not a 6970, it is a re flashed 6950? Are all 6970's re flashed 6950's?

No it's a real 6970 - no 6970s are flashed 6950s. This card just uses the same circuit board and cooler as the toxic 6950.

Edit: samuelmorris got it a minute before me :D

it is a 6970, it means my 6950's are reference design (second revision) 6970's.

6970 top of the line card
Some cards that say they are 6950's are actually the same hardware as a 6970 with the shaders locked and the clock speeds reduced.

I.e. My 6950's have the exact same hardware, and thus the noise can be compared between the two.

So you had it close, just it's the other way around, some 6950's are really the higher end cards. That's what folks are talking about when they say reference cards.

Good card, decent price. I'd say go for it. It's close to the 6950 toxic price yet still has a guaranteed 1536 shaders and a Cayman XT GPU instead of a Pro so it may even net you a better overclock in the end. Nothing is guaranteed though as far as your final overclocking result but for a $20 difference after MIR vs the toxic it's a good deal. I'd get that one over the toxic to be honest as some toxics are not unlocking, although you can avoid the crap shoot altogether.

Last edited:
No, the HD6950 Toxic uses the same cooler.
vb0Ni.png

Back