What is up with the used graphics card price market?

fakeng

n00b
Anybody know what's up with the used price market? It was fine about 6 months ago or so. I'm trying to buy a used GPU under $250 for my sister and like there's tons of cards in that bracket now. It's like the common folk don't know GPU speed/power or "value" sales.
For example:

970 GTX were being sold for $25 to $75 in used market 6 months ago.. Now $70 to $150? wth??????
Almost 0 distinction between 1650/Super/1660/1660 ti etc... You're only paying for the "brand new" sticker price. I've seen price range from $200 to $500 usd ????
A used 1070 GTX ,the value card.. Used to be had for $140-200 dollars. Now at $220-250 buy it now prices???? So why would people get a 1650 or 1660 when a 1070 is superior? boggles my mind.
Ok the hidden gem the used 1080 ti. Okay at least I can get one for $500-550 like years ago. At least this market is still the same.

Oh yea forgot to mention used RX 480 used to be "$75 to $100" at most $100-150 range. Also these new budget radeon cards barely put a dent on any pricing, if anything the bluster Nvidia prices like during the bitcoin mining craze.

I think part of it is that production is slowing down due to a combination of COVID and the end of the current generation of cards. With less people buying new cards, they are sitting on their old ones. I would think that when Nvidia's 3000 series and AMD's RDNA2 cards launch you'll have no problem finding a 1070 for under $150.

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 9.31.01 AM.png

the pricing with new nvidia vs the 10xx series is very confusing. this was my budget, and comparing benchmarks the 1660 was not worth it. i dont know if i made a mistake, but its fast for my needs(i really only play halo and warzone and bf4 when im not doing that).

10xx kinda of revealed how much performance nvidia is holding back. not fair and i hate them.

View attachment 247297
the pricing with new nvidia vs the 10xx series is very confusing. this was my budget, and comparing benchmarks the 1660 was not worth it. i dont know if i made a mistake, but its fast for my needs(i really only play halo and warzone and bf4 when im not doing that).

10xx kinda of revealed how much performance nvidia is holding back. not fair and i hate them.

I would tend to agree that the 1660 series is essentially the same performance as the 1070 series. You get slightly less power draw but you also get less VRAM with the 1660s. Unfortunately, that's the state of the market right now that a 1070Ti is $280. I've bought several 1080's 6 months ago for essentially the same price.

I was going through some old parts and found a GTX 960 I wasn't using, so I put it up on eBay. I think it sold within two minutes for $85. Blew me away.

Covid 19 has caused anything relating to home entertainment to shoot up in price, new or used. VR headsets are constantly sold out, Game consoles are selling out in stores, used ones are selling for increasing amounts, gaming PCs are a hot item as well.

Prices has dropped at the start of this year, then went way down for a short period of time when the initial Covid 19 panic started, then prices gradually went up and up and up as stores sold out.

Covid 19 has caused anything relating to home entertainment to shoot up in price, new or used. VR headsets are constantly sold out, Game consoles are selling out in stores, used ones are selling for increasing amounts, gaming PCs are a hot item as well.

Prices has dropped at the start of this year, then went way down for a short period of time when the initial Covid 19 panic started, then prices gradually went up and up and up as stores sold out.

You know where I saw this specifically was with Chromebooks. I would grab 11.6 in Chromebooks for $90 that were in good shape. After this hit, those same Chromebooks were $160 to $200. Everybody was trying to get a cheap zoom machine at the same time.

I'd say just make what you think are fair offers to sellers. People are often willing to negotiate. It's somewhat natural for sellers to set prices on the higher end, and buyers to make offers on the lower end. The right answer is usually in the middle somewhere.

I literally joked with a guy at a local chain pc outfit today.
I was picking up a psu, he had a full build.
It’s like the world decided there’s a run on cans of chili, a price gets set, people all look in the same places and somehow hypnotize themselves into thinking $5 is the right price for a dented can of a Dennison’s chili.

If I don’t need it right now, I don’t buy it.
Simple as that.

I mean, some people literally didn't know their lives would turn into a 24/7 computer cave, so there's that.

It’s a supply and demand issue related to the COVID-19 lockdown. I bought a monitor for my wife for her home office as part of her Mother’s Day gift and when I got to the computer store to pick it up (Canada Computers) I was chatting with the guy asking how busy he was and he said they’re having crazy demand right now, and it’s mostly gamers.

People are home all day, a lot of them aren’t working, they’re bored, and so they’re now building and upgrading gaming PCs. This will have an impact on available inventory at computer stores, and so people can get charge more on the secondary market, it’s really that simple.

Everything hardware related is crazy right now. PSU's are very hard to find as well.

It's simple. Covid (board and more time at home) , ALOT of free extra $$$. And boom supply and demand goes up. Supply harder to get(covid) and used goes on the high end of selling. More and more PC components are out of stock.

It took 3 weeks to even find a PSU that wasnt 300$ for one that normally goes around 80-110$

I still have a case of toilet paper if anyone's interested in trading (straight across) for their RTX 2080 Ti :p

Just when I stop wondering how stupid people can get they come up with another reason for me to wonder some more

Yeah, Cov19 causes hardware supply chain to choke and price increase at everything. So people ran to the used market and suck it dry.

Back