What is this thing?

AciDeX

Gawd
So I've been building systems for almost eight years now and pieced together thousands at HP/ Compaq...
but I'm stumped, in the last year I've built three systems w/ Cooler Master cases and all Centurions(two MiniBTX's and a Centurion 5)
and each of them had one of these buggers in the screw bag with all the hardware for the case in it.

WTFisthisthing-02.jpg

WTFisthisthing-01.jpg

My question to all that is [H], what the crap are these things??? I've seriously been scratching
my head for months now like wtf? Engagement ring for your PC? Does it involve a midget? Is it the "precious"(one ring to rule them all)?
C'mon someone out there must know 'cause google doesn't and I'm to lazy to call Cooler Master and sound like a jackass... :D

i have no clue what that is. One of them came with my Coolermaster Centurion 5 and i just threw it in the box...maybe you feed wiring through it...idk:confused:

thats what i thunk at first(feeding the front panel wires through it) but I usually zip tie those up anyways so having a metal ring clunking around inside the case made no sense to me.

I had one in my Q-Pack case, fuck knows what it is. Think it might be something to do with Cabling round the Power Supply to stop surges im not too sure though.

Yea... That thing came with my coolermaster case. If I recall correctly it was a magnet. I just used to to magnetize my screw driver but Im not really sure what it's supposed to be used for..

Yea... That thing came with my coolermaster case. If I recall correctly it was a magnet. I just used to to magnetize my screw driver but Im not really sure what it's supposed to be used for..

Hmmm?... not really magnetized(just checked with a couple screws and my fridge) but a good guess nonetheless.

So its meant to reduce line noise and interference? Crazy crazy, that would be very nice if there was line noise inside the case I guess...

Its a ferrite donut. You're supposed to run your wires from the front of the case through it (twice) to eliminate RF noise. I have never encountered a case designed so poorly that RF noise was a problem, so I usually just toss it.

This shows how to route wires through it:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/images/gr98516sm.jpg
http://www.tech-mp.com/ACC_images/F_RING.jpg
http://www.logoheli.com/Media/ring.jpg

Nice!... thx SarverSystems that makes more sense now and you saved me from bashing my head into the wall. But yea I have yet to encounter line noise that bad as well.

i think its meant to hold the cables down, you string in the cables from the front ie,power,led,restart.... and let it drop to the bottom of the case.

*80% sure its for that reason

Oh well, now I'm upset. It comes with a Q-Pack but I didn't get one with my Microfly. I demand a ferrite donut.

:D :::NOT:::

(though a Krispy Kreme would make me happy)

As was said it is a ferrite ring. To work properly the wires must loop through it, not just straight through.

Their use is a holdover from AT (pre-ATX) systems where RFI was a bigger problem. One being 120V AC going to the front switch.

Look closely at your motherboard. You will see smaller ferrite rings with copper wire wrapped around them. These are called toroidal coils.

i think its meant to hold the cables down, you string in the cables from the front ie,power,led,restart.... and let it drop to the bottom of the case.

*80% sure its for that reason

You'd be 0% sure if you read the post 2 above yours. ;)

i don't read other posts. i read the title and answer to the best of my knowledge

lmao! I just got one in my cent5 case too! glad to know. I just threw it back in the box. (It's not like the instructions gave you any useful informaiton...) RTFM, my ass!

It's for throwing at the head of the next doofus that brings you a computer to fix!! ;)

It is actually for reducing EMI interference on the audio or LED wires going to the front bezel

I think we need a "Let's see your ferrite donut!" thread... My main rig has one - my shuttle doesn't, because there's no space for one!

Here's mine!!

Around my audio splitter

myFerriteDoughnut.jpg

Can't really see it, but it's wrapped around 3 times.

Ferrite Rings work best to eliminate EMI if the wire is looped through a few times.

FC-GM.JPG

Many cords, such as the USB below, have a similar feature built in.

modtown_net_0007.jpg

Back