What is this problem with overclocking nVidia cards with nF3 chipsets?

HighwayAssassins

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a DFI nF3 Ultra-D and I hear that for somereason the nF3 restricts overclocking of nvidia cards...is this true? Why is that?

I havent had time to try yet...im moving...

um...that's BS. On my k8n neo plat I could run my 5900xt (390/700) stock at 450/850 on that bios, and 500/975 on a 5950U bios.

I also had a 6800gt AGP that I ran at 410/1200. I still don't think there's any issue there.

well ive been reading up on other forums, and it seems that although you can overclock fine, you wont see any actual FPS increase. Who knows. On wednesday i will try it...im moving so ive only played with my new nF3 Ultra-D for 2 hours since i got it last wednesday :(

Ill let you know what i find.

everything seemed fine to me. Maybe they're getting confused with throttling. That is something that rears its head if you are overclocking very far on only moderate cooling with the high-end nvidia cards. I mean I could set my 6800gt to like 450mhz core and run benches without freezing or artifacting, but that's because throttling kicks in and drops the clock speeds. And in that scenario you're right, the score would actually be a little lower than it was at stock. But that's not the mobo.

Back