what is this display at 5:23 of this video?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness

he connects that display to ??? and reads the disc space, CPU temperature etc., it looks like a miniature version of windows. He shows that display at 3:54 of the video. But it connects some ribbon cable to what? Since when do we have a motherboard that can connect to any ribbon cable?

has anyone seen this before? what is this display and how does it work?

It’s just an HDMI display. The ribbon plugs into a control board which then plugs into an HDMI port on the GPU.

Last edited:
what do you get the control board? Or does it comes w/ the HDMI display? What is this kind of gadget call if you want to dig it out at newegg? And how can a HDMI port on your GPU reads all that information, such as the size of the hard drive?

It’s a tiny monitor without all the plasticky bits. He plugs into the gpu for a signal and USB for power.

Then he’s running a Windows program that is moved to show on that screen just like you would open a browser or Excel sheet on a second monitor on your desk. He could show anything he wanted on there, even a game.

Oh, and that case is hideously large. When the video started, I missed the case and saw him filling in what turned out to be the slide-in tray assembly and I though "Okay, that's an interesting open air case but it looks efficient." Then he slid into that monstrosity. In the follow-up video, it's like a Volkswagen sitting on his desk. HUGE. If I have a case that big, it better be able to house 12+ HDDs, a whole bunch of SSDs, and have a place to keep my sandwich warm.

I can't hear what he said at the very end. How does a Raspberrry Pi 3 board able to read all the info. of a PC? he said he insert to the HDMI and then he said ????? USB.

and did spend $270 or more just for that little display effect?

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-079T-0JKN1?Description=mipi board&cm_re=mipi_board-_-9SIA6AHBA07093-_-Product&quicklink=true
The linked follow-up video shows that what he used has better resolution than the Newegg one and it looked to be less than $80. Watch the video and you can see his screenshot of the item on aliexpress/alibaba.

so your tech radar link is for a software call "Remote sys. monitor". So I just want to understand how it works: both software is running at the same time, and the Remote sys. monitor on the PC side, send a diagnostics signal to the Remote sys. monitor on the Andriod side, via wireless, so that ANdroid phone then display the results?

that guy obviously use a different software, his one looks better. same concept?

Oh, and that case is hideously large. When the video started, I missed the case and saw him filling in what turned out to be the slide-in tray assembly and I though "Okay, that's an interesting open air case but it looks efficient." Then he slid into that monstrosity. In the follow-up video, it's like a Volkswagen sitting on his desk. HUGE. If I have a case that big, it better be able to house 12+ HDDs, a whole bunch of SSDs, and have a place to keep my sandwich warm.

the link also said it's an ugly case too. Cougar first created this case a few yr. ago, then at least 5 to 6 different manufacturers steal the idea and make their own version of it. This is cougar making version 2 of it. It's like a motor cycle

so your tech radar link is for a software call "Remote sys. monitor". So I just want to understand how it works: both software is running at the same time, and the Remote sys. monitor on the PC side, send a diagnostics signal to the Remote sys. monitor on the Andriod side, via wireless, so that ANdroid phone then display the results?

that guy obviously use a different software, his one looks better. same concept?
No not the same concept. The android phone idea is an alternative to the one in your video.

The concept in the original video is this: Buy a second monitor, set it on your desk next to your main monitor, and plug it in. In Windows display settings, extend your desktop to the new second monitor. Now open whatever application you want, drag it to the second monitor, and make it full screen.

that’s basically all he did. He just used a tiny monitor that didn’t have any bezels or a stand, and stuck it inside the case instead of on his desk. The application he’s using is called Rainmeter, to which he applied a custom skin..

No not the same concept. The android phone idea is an alternative to the one in your video.

The concept in the original video is this: Buy a second monitor, set it on your desk next to your main monitor, and plug it in. In Windows display settings, extend your desktop to the new second monitor. Now open whatever application you want, drag it to the second monitor, and make it full screen.

that’s basically all he did. He just used a tiny monitor that didn’t have any bezels or a stand, and stuck it inside the case instead of on his desk. The application he’s using is called Rainmeter, to which he applied a custom skin..
Well said Ryan. That tech radar article is basically saying you can run a remote system monitoring application on your android phone. You can then mount that phone someplace to display the information from your system without giving up space for that information on your main monitor. It's an alternative to the solution in the original video. I have never used that android app and the investment in a small screen in the original video seems much better than using an old phone.

I'm looking at this closer. there is some small problems w/ this setup.

1) that ribbon cable is flimsy. If he needs to spray clean the dust, or upgrade / move things around, he could damage that cable. Is 5.5" screen technology so far behind that they can't use a regular shielded cable?

2) Nvidia driver problem: now I have older driver that when you turn off your main screen, my secondary screen becomes my main screen. For his sake, that better not happen to him.

My setup is different than most. My main screen is a Viewsonic 4K at 43". My 2nd screen is a HDMI output goes into a Yamaha integrated receiver, and from there, it pipes out a SHarp 60" screen. So I don't even know if I can setup the way he did, as I don't know how the nvidia driver will work (without any bugs) to do this on a 3 screen setup

On unrelated matter, did you guys notice he bought that $5K In Win case at the back side of his room?

1) Ever see the ribbons connecting LCD panels to the controllers in just about every TV, monitor, and phone? That ribbon is 10x tougher than those.

2) that’s not a bug, it’s a feature. MS presumes that you don’t want to have things hidden off in areas that can’t be seen.

Any generic 4/6" touch LCD with HDMI/USB, for a car (12v) from ebay/aliexpress would do that. I have a 5" one that I used to run in 2 5.25" bays. I think I paid 120$ ish shipped, with a L HDMI cable.

I had a "turn off LCD" shortcut set to deal with turning off LCD screens. Set it to a hotkey, and threw an alias in the task bar.

Last edited:
Back