what is the time frame of these fancy future LG technology?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness

are we talking about 5 yr. or 10 yr.? I am mostly interested in that transparent LED screen at 2:49 min. Because I can see the benefit of a see thru screen, it doesn't block your view if you are watching TV

and is LG really spending R&D on these? Or they are just bragging someone else technology?

there are already transparent screens in the wild iirc, not available in the consumer market yet obviously. personally i don't see the point in terms of television, but having screens on your windows or bathroom mirror would be cool.

there are already transparent screens in the wild iirc, not available in the consumer market yet obviously. personally i don't see the point in terms of television, but having screens on your windows or bathroom mirror would be cool.

If you have a TV at the back wall, and you have a desk in front, then a transparent PC screen will be benefitcial because your PC screen won't block your view of watching TV while you work on your PC

LG seems to banking big on foldable OLED. That said, the first applications we will be seeing will most likely be phones that fold out into small tablets. Real prototypes already exist and the first consumer products might come as soon as late next year.

Concept videos like these are always bullshit because the operating systems and software that runs on those things do not exist and would probably not be even that great to use in the real world, they just look fancy on video.

There is Samsung and Planar who also have OLED transparent 4K. But Planar price is about $15K.

So the 2 questions are:

1) when does the price come down?

2) Is the base of the Transparent OLED a huge chunk of plastic like this:

And one step closer to Minority report we go :woot:

I was literally specifying interaction ux for a 3d system the other day and realised i’d channeled minority report. The futurist who came up with that stuff was a genius.

OP Transparent LCD’s are already a thing as called out. They’ve been pushing them for promotional displays. Colour ones are comparatively recent and contrast is a big issue but they’re there. I’d say 10 years for the form factor though. The big problem is breaking UI paradigms, takes a big shove and a long time and requires a significant jump in experience. See people’s joy at touchscreen phones and iPads. If they could sort the quality I imagine a radiographer would love it for example.

49-inch-icevue-fridge1.jpg

transparent screens are cool from a technology standpoint but I wouldn't want to use one for critical work, TV or gaming etc...image quality will suffer a lot

I think the last part of that LG video is essentially what we saw at the Minority report.

============

For a transparent OLED at $15K to come down in price, it shouldn't take more than 2 year. If the price is $2K, it's quite affordable. $1.5K for a 46" to 50" Transparent OLED would be great.

What I am most impressed is, I was planning to buy a robot arm. With this transparent technology, all the robot arm co. can go belly up. And I'm definitely not spending a penny on robot arm now or in the future.

Further, in the past, I am restricted to the size of my screen, as it can be too high for me to turn my neck, and if it's too wide, it blocks my view watching TV. But w/ this new transparent OLED, it solves both problems. I can easily get a 50" transparent OLED, my desk is big enough, I just have to wait for the proper video card interface with this new technology. Today's video card can do 8K, even 8K at 46" transparent OLED is good enough for me.

Last edited:

Yea, that looks good although i wonder how annoying it would be to walk into a store and have a huge row of ever increasingly distracting coolers flashing away for your attention and all you want is a juice and go. Although it's still a cool idea if you can somehow interact with them. I would hope it was not another way to directly advertise to you with personal ad/tracking information on.

Back