What Is The Proper Order To Install "Drivers" During Fresh Windows 7-10 Install?

For Ex?
1) Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (Which Version)
2) INF Driver
3) ASMedia SATA3 Driver
4) ASMedia USB3.0 Driver
5) ME Driver
6) Intel USB3.0 Driver
7) RealTek LAN
8) Intel LAN
9) GPU Driver
10) Windows SP1 + other Updates.
?
?
1) INF Driver
2) Realtek Audio
3) Intel Management Engine software + driver
5) Intel AHCI RAID Driver
6) ASMedia USB3.0 Driver
7) Intel USB3.0 Driver
8) RealTek LAN
9) Intel LAN
10) NVIDIA Driver
11) Windows SP1 + All Updates
? Which Order is Best?

P.S. Which version of .Net is best to install 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, or 4.6RC or Other?
Thanks

First step use the media creation tool to make a USB upgrade copy of 10 instalation. For your initial Win7 install just a fresh installation of Windows 7 SP1 and LAN drivers then activate no need to install any other updates or drivers. Once you are sure it's activated then run the USB install you made earlier. The installation and subsequent updates should take care of everything else. If not then you can install any drivers it misses.

Use Win7 SP1 pre-slipstreamed media.

Get the LAN driver first (if needed) and then let Windows Update provide the bulk of the drivers. People will complain that these drivers are somehow not good, or generic, or written by MS, or whatever, but these drivers are typically functional and good enough to get you going, especially now that Win7 is six years old and a lot of these drivers are pretty mature.

The Intel INF and RST drivers are standalone installs that you can do before or after everything else.

First step use the media creation tool to make a USB upgrade copy of 10 instalation. For your initial Win7 install just a fresh installation of Windows 7 SP1 and LAN drivers then activate no need to install any other updates or drivers. Once you are sure it's activated then run the USB install you made earlier. The installation and subsequent updates should take care of everything else. If not then you can install any drivers it misses.
Yeah, go this route.

There's no reason to install any drivers or updates on Windows 7 if you are going to turn around and install 10. Once 10 is installed and activated, go back and do a clean install of 10 and then update chipset drivers, storage, sound, audio, lan, etc., then install software.

^^ This for sure. I do this on machines that come in hosed over. Reinstall Win 7 w/SP1, LAN driver if needed, activate, start upgrade from USB thumbdrive. No need to install the Windows Updates or additional drivers in Win 7. Same for 8.1. Saves a lot of time.

Double check the drivers from the manufacturer.

In some cases, there may not be a 10 driver, yet. (Example: Is Sony still saying do not upgrade their PCs to 10?)

Do a search to ensure the manufacturer's website is correct...

I have found several situations, where I am upgrading a PC - labeled, from the manufacturer, as Windows 10 upgrade ready, only to find drivers not existing... (Looking at you, HP, among others...)

The Intel Chipset INF doesn't really do anything anymore. It might fix some device names.
The RST also does nothing except add a GUI. You should already have the driver from F6 during install.

This is my order (with the final windows version you will use):
1. Windows + F6 drivers if necessary to see the OS drive
2. Anything necessary to connect to Internet. If you already have Internet, do nothing.
3. Windows software updates. Not drivers
4. Video card
5. Anything with a question or exclamation mark in Device Manager

I don't activate Windows until I know the machine is stable. If there are issues and you have to start over, you may have to waste time doing a call in activation since a second activation in short period may trigger it.
I personally have never had issues, but I still don't activate till the machine is done.
In the XP days, you had to activate before you could get updates, but no longer.

I have an SP1 disc, so I install, do chipset and motherboard drivers, doesn't matter the order for the drivers, usually just do them in the order they are on the driver DVD, and then proceed to do all the updates which takes hours due to MS doing incremental updates.
I'll do GPU, Audio Card, and any other hardware drivers after all the Windows Updates are done.

then burn iso or usb clean install of 10. i hear that 10 has a lot more driver support built and and one good part is it made mobo manufacturers get off their ass and update mobos not just the last release.

Back