What is the Operating System you loved to use the most?

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
I do not know how to make a poll and I really do not care too. I just wanted to start what I think will be a fun, enlightening thread to see what others love/ loved to use.

I will start by saying the Amiga OS was my absolute favorite of all time. However, if I had to be forced to say only on X86 hardware, then OS/2 Warp would be it. :D

Win XP was the OS I was most comfortable with for the longest time. Win 7 is a close 2nd.

ubuntu studio 9.04 with the realtime kernel

sadly not supported in the repos anymore

also/ inB4 the BEOS nerds

I do not know how to make a poll and I really do not care too. I just wanted to start what I think will be a fun, enlightening thread to see what others love/ loved to use.

I will start by saying the Amiga OS was my absolute favorite of all time. However, if I had to be forced to say only on X86 hardware, then OS/2 Warp would be it. :D

You want to buy my Amiga 3000T? It is very rare and has a 68040 processor in it.
amiga3k.jpg

AmigaOS was my favorite, with Windows 7 being my non-Amiga favorite.

I'm too young for this, you guys may as well be talking in a foreign language. :D

Win XP was the OS I was most comfortable with for the longest time. Win 7 is a close 2nd.

It might be looked down on by folks who look fondly at more esoteric examples of operating systems, but I am in the same boat.

I just got done cobbling together a "classic" box for the express purpose of retaining a machine that still runs XP to accommodate things like games that used EAX audio and for old peripherals whose drivers never reached the x64 age. XP was my love/hate relationship even all through the first steps past Vista into Win7. It may have been surpassed by Windows 7, but it will never be forgotten by me :)

You want to buy my Amiga 3000T? It is very rare and has a 68040 processor in it.
amiga3k.jpg

AmigaOS was my favorite, with Windows 7 being my non-Amiga favorite.

Hey, you even have Lemmings! :D Yeah, even with just a 68040, that machine was faster than anything else out at the time. The Amiga was just fun to use and you could customize it in so many ways with hardware and software. Still regret getting rid of mine all those years ago.

I had an Amiga 500 with a switch board for 1.3 and 2.04 rom, 68030 upgrade and a 50MB harddrive in an adapter off the main bus on the left side. Good times. :)

NetBSD with TWM was nice IMHO. XP/Vista/7 in classic Windows mode for real world use.
Workbench on the Amiga was nice and works surprisingly well in the latest version 4.1 but I prefer classic Windows look with startbar (like IceVM).

Of the Windows OSs, the one I loved the most at first use was Windows 2000. It finally made Windows usable and trustworthy. Before that, I used OS/2 2.0 and up for a very good reason.

I've read that Amiga was far ahead of its time and had features still not present in any other OS.

NT was a rock solid OS when it came out as well.

I've read that Amiga was far ahead of its time and had features still not present in any other OS.

NT was a rock solid OS when it came out as well.

Back in the Amiga days, you could format a floppy, play a video, and edit a document at the same time.

I admire XP for bring the NT kernel into the home arena, but I think the operating system that I really was most fond of was probably Windows Vista. I did play with things like NeXT and stuff too, but I definitely believe Vista was most innovative shaping the modern operating system. I had good luck with my drivers and software on Vista, and if you weren't bogged down with issues from those, it was actually a pretty great experience, especially when everybody else was still using XP. It felt like you were using the future.

Myself, I like Windows 7 the most. It was the first OS after Windows XP that felt "right." I'm probably not going to leave this OS for a long time. My 2nd favorite is Windows XP. This is sentimental though, as it came installed on our new computer that we got 10 years ago. Said PC had a Pentium IV 2.8Ghz and a Radeon 9700pro. That thing was awesome, and made our old Windows 98 PC with a Pentium 2 @400mhz look like a dinosaur. :)

And last but not least, is Windows 3.11. I liked that OS, as it was the first Windows OS I had ever used.

I love 7, but XP was simply a huge upgrade over anything else they have ever produced, so I'll go with XP.

Windows 8.1. Probably not on anyone else's list but it can run on such a wide range of devices, at least for me personally. I've had a Dell Venue 8 Pro for three weeks, incredible machine. These 8" Bay Trail Windows 8.1 devices seem to have struck the nerve that's always been an ideal of mine. Why can't a PC be small and portable when needed yet scale to up when needed. 8.1 doesn't do that automatically but if you know what you're doing it does this quite well. And there are apps on both the desktop and modern side that are very good at it.

indispensable for live audio and certain HAM radio apps

What HAM radio apps? KE7UOP here, looking to move up from the standard 2M set up and have some real fun.

As, as for the OP - Windows 7, probably. Not for fun, but because it worked.

What HAM radio apps? KE7UOP here, looking to move up from the standard 2M set up and have some real fun.

you know, it's been so long I couldn't really name them

back in the day I used to hang (online/air) with some ground floor PSK dev guys and they had me on realtime, something about ACK timing, I was a kid, I'm not entirely sure what they were up to. I was geographically distant from them so they liked to test to my setup on HF...man, I should get back into that, it was a blast!

I'd say Windows 2000. I ran it from its introduction till late 2006/early 2007, when I finally switched to XP.

I still have a Win 2000 retro box for old fun and games.

Keep making me feel young guys :D

I hated XP when it first came out, didn't play nice with my Turtle Beach sound card at all. Kept switching back to 98SE... the days of the old school Battleship. Played that all the time. Then it was Starcraft and Age of Empires II. Eventually we got more XP friendly systems. It wasn't until I was on Windows 7 that I really started getting into computers.

Windows 8.1. Probably not on anyone else's list but it can run on such a wide range of devices, at least for me personally. I've had a Dell Venue 8 Pro for three weeks, incredible machine. These 8" Bay Trail Windows 8.1 devices seem to have struck the nerve that's always been an ideal of mine. Why can't a PC be small and portable when needed yet scale to up when needed. 8.1 doesn't do that automatically but if you know what you're doing it does this quite well. And there are apps on both the desktop and modern side that are very good at it.

I will back you up on that, even though I've been a vocal dissenter on many of the choices made. It's still a very nice OS and you can see what they were aiming for, but could've done a much better job of execution, which really is typical of MS.

It was never a shipping OS, but if anyone remembers Longhorn, and the vision video they showed at PDC, it truly was a next gen OS. A lot of it was done too, then they scrapped most of it with the Vista reset, threw away all the good stuff like WinFS, and the result is well known.

I will start by saying the Amiga OS was my absolute favorite of all time. However, if I had to be forced to say only on X86 hardware, then OS/2 Warp would be it. :D[

When I used Warp, it felt like what I did actually mattered.

These days they have the process so refined as far as the OS goes, it feels unnecessary to even do shit to it.

But back then, OS/2 was the shit man

Windows 98, I spent most of my childhood using it, I still like to use it on my VM machine, loved the startup sounds and the GUI. I liked it how it came with Windows 95 Plus! themes as well.

Since its release, Windows 7 has eclipsed the others as the OS I loved to use the most. Started using it in late Summer 2009 (thank God for TechNet :D).

The Microsoft OS that I've used the longest on my primary home PC was Windows 2000 (2000-2006). This was my favorite OS before Windows 7 was released -- I liked it even more than XP. (The default desktop on XP is still fugly IMO. :p)

I've also used Windows 95 for a long time (1995-2000) on my primary home PC. In the interim, I did dabble in other OS's (Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, RedHat Linux 5.1, Slackware Linux 4.0, etc.), but I always returned to Windows 95.

But the OS I used the longest (any platform) was none of these. That would be ProDOS on my Apple IIe. (I don't remember which version, but I do remember never upgrading it.) :eek: God, I feel old...

EDIT:
Windows 98, I spent most of my childhood using it, I still like to use it on my VM machine, loved the startup sounds and the GUI.
Although I didn't use Windows NT 4.0 very long, one of the things I liked about it was its logon/logout sounds. (The logout sound was just the logon sound played in reverse. :D)

Trollollol :D

I'm not kidding. The amount of FUD and general nastiness directed at Vista really boggles my mind. It was as fast or faster than XP on supported hardware, looked good, and fixed a lot of long-standing security issues without breaking software backwards-compatibility. Microsoft also forced hardware manufacturers to provide 64-bit drivers if they wanted to advertise their products as Vista compatible. Support for 64-bit XP had been poor, 64-bit Vista was fine on practically all hardware released after 2006.

The only real issue with Vista was driver support at launch, it took several months for a few major hardware manufacturers to push good drivers (Nvidia and Creative were particularly annoying) and printer/scanner manufacturers all seemed to use Vista as an excuse to discontinue support for everything from the XP era.

Windows 7 really didn't change much, it just had the benefit of an established hardware ecosystem/driver support.

I'm not kidding. The amount of FUD and general nastiness directed at Vista really boggles my mind. It was as fast or faster than XP on supported hardware, looked good, and fixed a lot of long-standing security issues without breaking software backwards-compatibility. Microsoft also forced hardware manufacturers to provide 64-bit drivers if they wanted to advertise their products as Vista compatible. Support for 64-bit XP had been poor, 64-bit Vista was fine on practically all hardware released after 2006.

The only real issue with Vista was driver support at launch, it took several months for a few major hardware manufacturers to push good drivers (Nvidia and Creative were particularly annoying) and printer/scanner manufacturers all seemed to use Vista as an excuse to discontinue support for everything from the XP era.

Windows 7 really didn't change much, it just had the benefit of an established hardware ecosystem/driver support.

Don't worry about him, he'll bash Windows in general any opportunity he gets. In particular Vista and 8.

I was a huge fan of Vista at the time (up until 7 betas). I think aside from the driver issue, a HUGE reason people were disappointed was because of the Vista-Capable machines. 512MB or even 1GB of RAM on Vista was not going to cut it. Slow processors, small amounts of RAM... People blamed the OS for going slow. I upgraded a lot of machines back then, and made people change their minds on the OS.

With the driver issues - many people forget the Win2K and XP driver issues, too. Scanners, printers were left out to die. Many game controllers were unsupported and just tossed out.

Back