What is the most violent game you ever played

Postal 2 for the cat silencer, and Hatred for the pure... uh... hatred of all things living.

That's what I was thinking, whether the OP meant most "Violent" meaning either:

1. Most amount of Blood/innards seen?
2. Most amount of deaths?
or
3. Most amount of deaths leading to blood/innards seen?

FEAR had plenty of blood, but a lot of which are prerendered, IE you are only seeing the results, you did not cause (or even witness) the acts, which fits the plot fine)

I can come up with games that had FAR more deaths than a typical FPS, EG Diablo 3.

Well, Soldier of Fortune has all of the above. Any category, any way you slice it ( see the pun there? I'm a punny guy ) SoF takes the award.

Soldier of Fortune / SoF2 (god I loved that game...)
Mortal Kombat (pretty much all of them, though the newer ones are so much more "detailed")
Postal series
Doom 2016

Sniper Elite v2. Slo-Mo head explosions for the win.
0rgC6.gif

Scissor Man... or something like that... crazy dude with giant scissors that likes to chop people up

Clocktower?

Funny at 0.28 that the image looks exactly like the main hall of the mansion in Resident Evil.

For new games Doom is pretty gory. Loving it.

Mortal Kombat the first one way back then & then it was hexen and doom

Most Violent is kind of subjective, most gory on the other hand goes to Soldier of Fortune and Soldier of Fortune 2, dismemberment, organs falling out of bodies. It was so over the top, but certainly distinct.

In prototype also you can see that. The liver and intestines and spinal chords all are dragged out from the body.:wtf:

Soldier of fortune keeps popping up I see, Mortal Kombat is a good example I've seen mentioned here as well. To be fair though for the time the death animations in Wolf3d and then Doom where kind of gory for when they came out.

On a side note Soldier of Fortune was the first game I ever purchased online and my first purchase from Amazon, as they were one of the few places to shipped to APO addresses at the time. PC game section at the PX was kind of limited, and this was before I realized that the German version of some games sold off base were international versions with English language installs on the disk.

Dead Island, DI Riptide and Dying light should also get mentions as you can pretty much dismember the zombies, though in Dead Island at least it's kind of comical when you hit one so hard all four limbs just go flying off.

Oh, and Crusader No Remorse/No Regret needs mentioning as well, dat microwave gun tho.

Did no one play Spec Ops The Line? There was some pretty gruesome shit in there. Not just your usual gore and shit but the way they portrayed torture and death.

In terms of pure shocking violence and gore.. I think Blood (1997) popped that cherry for me. It was more gorey than Duke Nukem 3D and had a twisted/digusting art style. Most games since then haven't shocked me... then along comes Dead Space.

Only a few stands out to me:

Soldier of Fortune 2
Manhunt 1 and 2
GTA series
Postal 1 and 2.

The 'executions' in Manhunt 1 and 2 really did it for me as they can be attempted and successfully done in real life.

Certainly for its time, Thrill Kill is up there.

Pretty much all of them are mentioned. But this game...yeah Thrill Kill beta (there are at least four builds floating around). I remember the earlier build of two I played was especially creepy with the chanting during fatalities.

As for others.... Bionic Commando NES (Hitler Headsplode). NARC, Smash TV, Total Carnage (Williams/Midway).

Syndicate. Cannon Fodder. Battle Chess. BloodStorm.
Bonestorm.

bonestorm.jpg

Pretty much all of them are mentioned. But this game...yeah Thrill Kill beta (there are at least four builds floating around). I remember the earlier build of two I played was especially creepy with the chanting during fatalities.

As for others.... Bionic Commando NES (Hitler Headsplode). NARC, Smash TV, Total Carnage (Williams/Midway).

Syndicate. Cannon Fodder. Battle Chess. BloodStorm.
Bonestorm.

bonestorm.jpg

Thrill Kill was super badass! My sister got it for my on a modded PS1 while she was stationed in S. Korea. The imp character with the stilts and the nurse were so creepy, and the fatalities were pretty fucked up too.

There was a game I reviewed about... 20 years ago on the PC that actually wound up being banned for gore. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Found it. It's called "Harvester".

Last edited:
Thrill Kill was super badass! My sister got it for my on a modded PS1 while she was stationed in S. Korea. The imp character with the stilts and the nurse were so creepy, and the fatalities were pretty fucked up too.

I can't believe I watched 5 minutes of this clip....

It's my understanding that Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style was built on the same engine.

If so, the basic fighting mechanics were garbage.

Marriage was pretty violent. Glad I Alt-F4'd before getting a perma Game Over.

I remember this Coin up Arcade game called Time Killers. It was made before video game ratings existed.
Yeah it was made during the Mortal Kombat era. The sequel was BloodStorm. Not to be confused with Bonestorm.
image.png

I remember this Coin up Arcade game called Time Killers. It was made before video game ratings existed.

lol, I thought I was the only who ever played this. I used to spend hours plaything this game at a arcade called Nicklemania (all the arcades were a nickle). Time Killers.....ENGAGE!

Man, only one vote for Hotline Miami? That game really disturbed me. Beating people with bats until they're still alive but clearly not themselves anymore... *shudder* Tons of gore too. That, and the bad guys drugging sex slaves, etc. Just some nasty stuff all around in that game.

Other honorable mentions:
Soldier of Fortune, Soldier of Fortune 2
Kingpin
Blood, Doom (doom guys on a stake with guts hanging out still alive), Quake, Duke Nukem, all those old shooter classics
7th Guest (lady gets her jaw ripped off by a monster in full motion video)
Congo - the original adventure PC game (booby traps usually resulted in a gory mess)
Turok Dinosaur Hunter (the first one had pretty limited gore, but it was the first one I remember where blood shot out of their neck arteries if you shot them right)
Mortal Combat X - holy crap, it's gore to the next level
Sniper Elite II - slow mo internal organ destruction

I wasn't allowed to play gory games as a kid but these ones slipped by lol.

Last edited:
Soldier of Fortune was practically the first gory & violent game I played. Then, along came Fallout 3. With the Bloody Mess perk and good blood textures it rivaled any violent game I'd seen before. Headshots for that exploding brain cavity FTW! :D

Killing kids in fallout 1/2 count?

also The Punisher, Madworld, Darkness 2, and Bloodrayne 2

Reminds me of when Mortal Kombat II was released on SNES. Man the magazines and parents were freaking out about that one.

I too remember "adults" completely flipping out at the time over this. News stories, consoles destroyed with hammer, kids banned from their names/genesis etc.

Back