What is the Most Unstable Operating System have you used So far?

phobic said:
Windows Millenium Edition, hands down the most unstable OS I have ever used. I couldn't hardly blink without getting a blue screen.

Ditto.

Win2000. Geforce2MX, Via chipset, SB Live! soundcard. *shudders*
I don't really blame the OS, though. Everything worked just fine when I went back to my Kyro II.

Windows ME to me seems like microsoft have rushed the software and distributed outto the public without revising it.

Yeh, WinMe is horrible. However, my neighbor is probably the only one that doesn't have problems with it. I think it's a hardware thing. WinME is just too picky with hardware.

Compared to WinMe, Win98 is very stable, but compared to Win2K and WinXP, Win98 is not much better than WinMe.

My vote is actually for Win95. It's a big pile of unstable crap, but so is WinMe :)

Mac OS 8.1
I hated that stupid bomb, everytime it would pop up.

Another vote for ME. There was a point when I wanted to go back to Win95 but then Win2000Pro rolled around and I fell in love with it.

Since I never used ME, and have to constantly fix my mothers Win98 Machine...

I'm going to say Win98SE

I will go with 98, since I went from that to 2k, which was so, so much better (I didn't care if it wasn't as pretty).

Komataguri said:
Since I never used ME, and have to constantly fix my mothers Win98 Machine...

I'm going to say Win98SE
i loved Win98SE, it was such a blast to tweak, i mean, after 8 hours of OS tweakage, you knew as much about the registry as Gates did :eek:

I'd have to agree with a lot of other people and say Windows Me. It was just horrible. Blue screens all over the place. In a close second would have to be Windows 95 (the original release). Even installing it was quite the undertaking--you'd be lucky if you got through it all without it crashing on you. But, it was a big jump for Microsoft, coming from the DOS/Windows 3.x era, so I forgive them.

Looking back, I'm quite happy with the progress they've made since then. Definitely some room for improvement, though...

I WANT PROGRAM MANAGER BACK! :p

Badger_sly said:
LOL, how long did it take you to figure out that you could do a full install from the "upgrade" disks?

I had the same problem as you going from 95a to 95b, but started doing the full installs from the upgrades after that.

i knew it from the get go.. the trouble was i was working off a compaq... they have this nbifty way of imageing the os onto the disk so that all the drivers are already installed and ready to go... to be honest it was quite nice you pop the disk in and waked away, come back 90min later and it was sitting at the desktop, you didnt have to enter the windows reg key or any thing... the down side, this was the only way to get the modem, sound and usb drivers, they where'nt avalible on the website any any thing other than a upgrade in the form of a exe that looked for the orriginal drivers befor they would install, seeing as how it was an imaged os on the disk, when you tryed to do the full install from the upgrade disk, it would ask you for the orriginal windows disk... which didnt exist, what i had to do to make the install work was install 95b from the image find the drivers i neded and copy them to a cd, format, copy the files back to the disk befor i could install 98 that way it would find the cddriver so i could install the updates.. it was a really messed up process.. i know im not remeber a few steps...

thore

delusion_2005 said:
Hey guys i was wondering what OS do you think is the most unstable to use?
For me its Window ME how abt you guys?
Windows 95 made Me look like Linux IF you had a clue what you were doing. Even if you didn't, Win 95 was worse. It wasn't until 95 c or d that they finally got it right.

SirKenin said:
Windows 95 made Me look like Linux IF you had a clue what you were doing. Even if you didn't, Win 95 was worse. It wasn't until 95 c or d that they finally got it right.
Pssst...you forgot the finger quotes around "got it right"

:p

It's a three-way shootout between the original Windows 95, the original Windows 98, and Windows ME. Win95 OSR2.0/2.1/2.5 and Windows 98SE were okay. Not like the Win9x family was known to be robust anyway, but 95OSR2 and 98SE were tolerable.

The original Windows 95 was obviously very buggy. ME didn't appear to have as many bugs, but would have as many (or maybe more) random crashes.

My experience with 98FE was different. It was in a LAN cafe with computers based on Super Socket 7... most would BSOD/GPF in 15 minutes while playing Counter-Strike Beta 6. When the computer BSODs, the LAN owner would *always* blame the player for "modifying the controls" and he would delete config.cfg (needless to say that wasn't it). Two of the computers are "down" and will BSOD five seconds into Hot CPU Tester Lite. One thing I've noticed was the K6-2's were running at 374MHz, which would mean 83*4.5... which would mean *overclocked*, which would mean 41MHz PCI/83MHz AGP bus speeds. It's probably not 98FE by itself, but a combination of 98FE, unstable overclocked components and an arrogant/moronic owner who refuses to acknowledge/simply doesn't know that his comps were overclocked (and blaming it on players who customize their controls).

I'm very happy with Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Either was rock solid even with half-decent hardware. Buggy applications no longer take down the whole system with them, and I only get BSODs as a result of either bad drivers, or because I messed around overclocking and pushed things too hard.

It's practically a fact that Windows ME sucked majorly...now how many of you folks here put that down just 'cause everyone else did? And be honest! ;) :p

I never used ME. But IMO 9x (95/98) both sucked equally well. BSOD and illegal operations were common. I could never leave my system for more than 3-4 days without a reboot or it would seemingly just start to randomly become unstable. Even after multiple rebuilds of the OS, etc. and on different computers. 98 in particular seemed to have a propensity to self destruct after about a year or so. Something always seemed to happen that caused it to require a rebuild after about that much time. Very high maintenance OS.

NT4/2000/XP were/are leagues ahead of that garbage.

No Mac users here eh?

OS 6.anything :rolleyes:

Solaris 2.6

NT on DEC Alpha's....or at least mine anyway...piece of crap OS that was. Glad I liked VMS.

Got to throw the ME love out there. Refused to help anyone with an ME system unless they would agree to "downgrade" to 98SE or upgrade to 2000.

You like VMS?
*makes a note*

I've got a FreeVMS/Alpha hobbyist CD and licenses here, and a PWS it'll run on, but I haven't had the patience to set it up. Some day when I'm done playing with Tru64 I might begin bothering you with VMS questions. :D
(For the time being, I'll use FreeBSD if I want to do anything useful on it.)

HHunt said:
You like VMS?
*makes a note*

I've got a FreeVMS/Alpha hobbyist CD and licenses here, and a PWS it'll run on, but I haven't had the patience to set it up. Some day when I'm done playing with Tru64 I might begin bothering you with VMS questions. :D
(For the time being, I'll use FreeBSD if I want to do anything useful on it.)

It is what I was trained on....you get comfortable with it. Same reason people like Windows...they are comfortable with it. I know people who hate VMS to death....they all think I am crazy but I love my Alpha's w/VMS.

Lolz i used Mac once and i hate it so much, i prefer windows better but BSOD seems to occur so often with WIndow 98 and Window ME but Window 98SE, Win 2k pro and win Xp pro are awesome so stable, my system havb't crashed for about 2 years since i install window 2k and window XP.

Actually I've run ME for 4 years without a reinstall, and other than the occasional lockup or BSOD, and rebooting twice a day, no real problems. I guess I've been very lucky.

That being said I just upgraded to XP pro. I am really impressed with the memory management, especially with just 256mb pc133. I was told I would need to upgrade to 512mb, but at this point it runs just fine with 256, on my old pos pc. At least it will get me by until i upgrade cpu, mb, memory, case, in the very near future.

Never realized what an upgrade from ME could do. Win95 gets my vote for the op question though :eek:

Riptide_NVN said:
I never used ME. But IMO 9x (95/98) both sucked equally well. BSOD and illegal operations were common. I could never leave my system for more than 3-4 days without a reboot or it would seemingly just start to randomly become unstable. Even after multiple rebuilds of the OS, etc. and on different computers. 98 in particular seemed to have a propensity to self destruct after about a year or so. Something always seemed to happen that caused it to require a rebuild after about that much time. Very high maintenance OS.

NT4/2000/XP were/are leagues ahead of that garbage.

THREE to FOUR DAYS? Man, that's gotta be a record for any 9x system out there! Seriously, that's no longer "unstable" by 9x standards... you're lucky

No kidding Alpha, 3 to 4 hours seems more like it. Never bothered me until now, SOP with ME, every 3 to 4 hours

WinME was biggest POS ever made. It was total BS. The most stable was 98 and XP for me.

Win98, I couldn't keep it up more than a day without it crashing or being too sluggish to run.

Win ME... why even ask... everyone knows (from expirance or not) that ME was the trash of Microsoft. It is my belief that They put out ME to ruin the 9x line so people would ditch it and go to NT (2K and XP)

Also, Any mac OS before X.

oboyco said:
Actually I've run ME for 4 years without a reinstall, and other than the occasional lockup or BSOD, and rebooting twice a day, no real problems. I guess I've been very lucky.

Wait that is good? I reboot Solaris, or VMS once ever month or so....if then.

i remember i downloaded windows ME warez style and i thought i was l337

little did i know microsoft pwned me :(

I never really had much of a problem with Windows ME. Yeah it would lock and I would get the BSOD here and there but I got that with all Windows 9X POS operating systems.

hmm.
Careful on the warez talk please. Even if you did steal crappy software, we don't want to hear about it.

odoe said:
hmm.
Careful on the warez talk please. Even if you did steal crappy software, we don't want to hear about it.
This one time in warez camp...

:p

Win ME. Or, pretty much any Windows release on an SiS chipset.

Back