What is the most retarded community for a game that you've experienced?

EQ had a horrific "community" when it was still the "in" MMO there were some crazy ass people floating around the boards. WOW was a close second, but more due to the mouth breathing asshats that tend to dwell there.

I've seen some pretty "full retard" folks on some of the OFP/ARMA forums also, you come across these armchair Soldiers who will argue tactics and "how it really is" because they have experience with their airsoft club.

BF3: amazing game, but in-game chat rivals the stupidity of AOL chat and 4chan

You mean online games or online forums?

Back when I played Socom on PS2 I remember there was a lot of racism. Lots of it. People would kick you automatically if you spoke and sounded black. I'm not black, but I played with a lot of black people and they constantly got harassed. I got harassed often by association.

Some of the offenders sounded like they were young kids, but many of them sounded like they were plenty old.

yeah socom 2 was really a nasty one. Fun game most of the time but you would run into A holes on a regular basis.

If I had to pick the worst one though it would have to be HON. People are such babies on that game its really ridiculous. You cant play a single game of hon with out someone raging and qqing and the forums aren't any better.

I haven't been around many genre-specific or game-specific communities, but I hear stories. I usually read the SC2 esports community stuff like reddit. Although it does have its fair share of nastiness, it's supposedly far more well-behaved than other communities out there. For example, there was an incident in the fighting game community where the topic of sexism came up and a coach of some team basically said "Sexism is a part of the culture. Remove that and you remove the fighting game community."

Source: http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...al-imperative-the-ugly-side-of-fighting-games

HoN, Dota, LoL etc...

I play a lot of HoN and people are retarded for some reason. I guess you take a competive game were you can't leave and you have to actually pick a coheasive team leads to retards. That and people making "smurf" accounts just to stomp new players.

It gets old. Great concept for a game but terribly implemented.

I think the problem stems from a few sources, one of which is people who are super competitive and expect everyone else to share the same ideals, when in fact they're on a public server or playing a PUG or just queued for a random LoL/HoN/DotA game, and you can be playing with anyone. Then someone makes a rookie mistake or someone lagged because they don't have a highly optimized home network using QoS or other advanced features, and the pr0 throws a shitfit

The worst I've experienced hands down is the HoN community , seriously a pool of human waste right there. LoL is a close second and WoW a distant third HOWEVER Blizzard has the most polluted forums on the net.

If I was an Alien and I took a census based on the Blizzard forums of how humanity can act , I would unleash a horrible fleshing eat bacteria upon the Earth and then direct the nearest Asteroid to finish off Earth entirely.

Last edited:
I haven't been around many genre-specific or game-specific communities, but I hear stories. I usually read the SC2 esports community stuff like reddit. Although it does have its fair share of nastiness, it's supposedly far more well-behaved than other communities out there. For example, there was an incident in the fighting game community where the topic of sexism came up and a coach of some team basically said "Sexism is a part of the culture. Remove that and you remove the fighting game community."

Source: http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...al-imperative-the-ugly-side-of-fighting-games

I listened to that guys rant after the whole thing went down and it just occurred to me. That's his defense while playing a game in which the majority of the characters use 0 foul or sexist language and are in some cases extremely courteous to each other.

Characters in the game or do you mean players in the community?

Oh yeah, I should have added a footnote that one man's opinion doesn't represent the whole. It's just kind of shocking that such a person had a large platform to stand on to say that.

Honestly it seems like a lot of the Steam forums end up devolving into stupidity. I wouldn't necessarily say it's the worst I've seen, mainly because it's so varied and there are so many different forums, but I've seen some pretty stupid shit on there.

As for a specific game, it's hard to say. I will say that the best community I've ever experienced is the Bohemia Interactive community (ArmA 2 / OA).

Out of all the game communities, particularly in-game (everything from Ultima Online, to Diablo 2, the entire Battlefield series, HL2:DM, TF2, Guild Wars and others) I've been involved with/in (which is a lot) there have been many that were bad in one way or another, to one degree or another.

But I'd have to agree with L4D/L4D 2 being one of the absolute worse of anything I've played over the past 15 years. Possibly the most irate, pushy, immature, infantile, rude, exceedingly (and pointlessly, 99% of the time) nasty, intolerant community it's ever been my displeasure to be involved in/with... coming from someone who is excellent in L4D and FPS titles in general, so it's not as if I was straggling or slow in reactions. Quick reactions, head shots and great with tactics and timing.

But in the L4D community, it doesn't even matter, unless you're a "god" of some sort and never even scrape your shoulder against a wall.

Even if people are a little slow or make a mistake, despite it being a heavy team-oriented game, still... people are just out of control with their attitudes these days, in particular.

Definitely a "friends only" game, unless you want to deal with being berated for absolutely no reason, then kicked/banned.

I haven't played HoN, Dota, LoL, WoW etc. so for all I know, they were equal or worse, but from what I've been involved with, L4D/2 has been the most abhorrent.

L4d 2.....love the game but I've never experienced such a desperate need for others to increase their self-esteem through "internet success" "owning noobs" and childishly insulting others with racially charged remarks.

I never had a problem with L4D communities, then again I ran 8 servers and would make sure I always started the matchmaking and played on my own servers. Any trolling or douchebaggery was an instant kick (or i'd set them on fire via SourceMod plugins ;D )

League of Legends and COD. Worst community's EVER. I played LoL for about 6 games and quickly decided that even if I did have fun this community was not me.

But I'd have to agree with L4D/L4D 2 being one of the absolute worse of anything I've played over the past 15 years. Possibly the most irate, pushy, immature, infantile, rude, exceedingly (and pointlessly, 99% of the time) nasty, intolerant community it's ever been my displeasure to be involved in/with... coming from someone who is excellent in L4D and FPS titles in general, so it's not as if I was straggling or slow in reactions. Quick reactions, head shots and great with tactics and timing.

The problem with L4D/L4D2 is that most players instinctively want to play it "wrong". They stick together and move slowly through the levels, looking for all the supplies.

When in actuality, the best strategy in almost every level is to blaze through it as fast as possible(while still mostly sticking together). This is because the biggest threats, the crescendos and specials, are on spawn timers. The longer you take in a level, the more crescendos and specials that trigger, the more damage you take while reaching the safe room. The experts realize this, but few others do, so it creates enormous friction, and really pisses off both sides. Especially on expert.

Another instinctive reaction is to get fallen team-mates up ASAP, when in general the best strategy is to use the downed team-mate as a zombie magnet and damage soak, until the current threat is over.

And there's far too many players that ignore the audio cues, when you hear the crescendo cue, get in a corner or room IMMEDIATELY. When you hear special themes play, buddy up. When you hear a team-mate get hit by a special, find them, and take steps to mitigate the damage ASAP. And whatever you do, don't play with the sound off!

Also far too many "expert" FPS players spend all of their effort on killing zombies. On the harder difficulties, your priorities should be:
1. Not shooting your team-mates.
2. Moving predictably/tactically so as to not get shot by your team-mates.
3. Avoiding damage to yourself from zombies.
4. Helping your team-mates avoid damage from zombies.

If you like LoL but can't stand the raging (ie. just want to play for fun), try custom games - ARAM and ARAB to be specific. There are still dicks, but they're few and far between compared to regular/ranked.

Sad that you have to create your own metagame to mitigate the shittiness of the regular games and the developer doesn't do anything except churn out new champions every week to make cashmoney

Basically popular and accessible games with low barriers to entry tend to have terrible communities. If you think about it this does make sense.

DAoC - not the least intelligent, but certainly the most vitriolic

There were only really two sources of hate in DAoC. #1 was the VN boards, which the large majority of people didn't go to, but that's where most of the drama was. #2 were elitist gank grps (which I was a part of because there was nothing in the world more fun than running around with an 8 man of friends). I'm sure they could be annoying but for the most part they really couldn't ruin your experience. I guess there was also the occasional artifact thief or whatever but that wasn't very common. There was a lot of friendly people that you would meet because of the necessity of groups. By far more positive experiences in that game than negative.

LOL is definitely the game with the worst community that I've played. They make me question humanity daily. What I don't get is the attitude that people have, where if someone is doing badly and they are not, they have to make that person feel like shit (okay, it's probably a boost to their ego, and a stress relief). The fact is, especially in ranked, you are most likely NOT that much better than that person, which is why you are around the same elo. People are inconsistent, the people who they are matched up against may be better, there are a ton of reasons for someone to fail. If you are doing really well and think you're fucking pro, just know that unless you are 2000+ elo, there are people in the world that can make you look like shit. Anyways, ranked game starting, back to LOL!

Any valve game has a crap community, also lots of f2p games...

So by that basis, probably DoTA2 will be the worst game community evar...

Most online games with a large base in my experience typically suck until you find a group you can deal with.

The problem with L4D/L4D2 is that most players instinctively want to play it "wrong".

Honestly I have WAY much more fun playing L4D1/2 wrong. I don't VS, but when I co-op with friends, it's a blast when you just drink too much, yell really loud, and always have a noob or two who kind of suck as the scapegoats that you save until you REALLY need a decoy while you're hauling ass to the end of the level.

The left 4 dead community put me right off playing that. Played a couple of matches and in each of them there was at least one douchebag, and since you actually have to work with the douchebags to get anywhere, I had no motivation to keep playing the game. Didn't even try left 4 dead 2 since I'm not interested in finding out if its just another bunch of dicks.

This is exactly how I felt too. You are either casual and lose constantly while not having fun, or you play with the douchebags and win while having NO fun.

Left 4 Dead. It's full of "learn to play" and griefer motherfuckers. These idiots are found in most online games; it's just worst in L4D.

Honestly I have WAY much more fun playing L4D1/2 wrong. I don't VS, but when I co-op with friends, it's a blast when you just drink too much, yell really loud, and always have a noob or two who kind of suck as the scapegoats that you save until you REALLY need a decoy while you're hauling ass to the end of the level.

Yes. Completely forgot how much fun i was having laughing at this game in general, it was super funny when not taking it seriously with friends. People gravitate towards other interests though, it goes on sale for $10, people who aren't successful at life can finally afford it, and it goes downhill.

Yes. Completely forgot how much fun i was having laughing at this game in general, it was super funny when not taking it seriously with friends. People gravitate towards other interests though, it goes on sale for $10, people who aren't successful at life can finally afford it, and it goes downhill.

I actually really enjoyed the demo of L4D1, it was quite enjoyable, just joined random matches and people were friendly and wanted to have some fun. As soon as I started playing the full version, the community went to shit.

I guess I never experienced the L4D/L4D2 communities even though I played both titles quite a bit. Then again, I almost never played pubs, it was almost exclusively with friends. That probably makes quite a bit of difference. :)

The entire gaming community since 2002-2003 or so. It basically went to shit when the 1990s babies started becoming old enough to spend a lot of time on the Internet.

To put it in perspective there are kiddies ruining mainstream online gaming today who aren't even old enough to remember 9/11.

Back