What is the most important computer part?

What is the most important computer part?

• Motherboard

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • CPU

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Video Card

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Memory

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Hard Drive

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Power Supply

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Sound Card

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Moniter

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Case

• Fans

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU. Nearly all hardware components interact with it, relying on it to pass some information back to the device or help in calculating some information.

Additionally, I would rate Case & Monitor lower on the list. You don't need them, but they are nice to have :)

man everyone knows the most important parts of a computer are the vacuum tubes that make computing possible. All you guys who think differently are insaine.

i went with motherboard simply because i would have honestly voted for the CHIPSET!!!!!!!!

without a decent chipset controlling everything you get an ass computer aka via KTxxx series.

-Sean Casey said:
Power supply...

My reasoning is this:

The question simply asked for the most important part of a "computer". "Computer" was never actually defined. Technically an abacus could be considered a computer... *pulls out dictionary*

"A device that computes"
or
"One who computes"

Going by those definitions an abacus is a computer, or even a person who does a lot of math. So, why power supply???

Everything requires energy to work, and the question did not specify "electricity".

So the movement of a human hand is a "power supply" for an abacus (without someone using it it would not work"

Or if I go with the definition #2, the junk someone eats is the "power supply" for the computer (their brain).

So there is my twist on the whole thing.

What happens to a plant if it has sunlight but it's already dead?

SimGuy said:
CPU. Nearly all hardware components interact with it, relying on it to pass some information back to the device or help in calculating some information.

Additionally, I would rate Case & Monitor lower on the list. You don't need them, but they are nice to have :)

Yes, I agree...I plug the cables into my brain and I dont need a monitor.

MadSkills said:
I disagree, if you purchase a low end motherboard with the same chipset, you won't sacrifice that much performance. However, if I purchase a 9600 over a 9800 XT Pro, I'm probably sacrificing a lot of performance.

True enough, which is why i posted the end remark. The machine is a sum total of it's parts, so pretty much any change will more likely than not effect performance. My only point is that the motherboard is the backbone for the entire system. Sure a faster video card might mean better performing games, but wouldn't do a darn thing for number crunching a mathamatical problem (like folding) that a faster processor might help. Or that a computer might benefit more from more memory while doing database functionality. Or that a server might need vast hard drive space.

But the motherboard effect every single thing the computer does, as it transports ALL of the data moving inbetween the other system components. Which, again, does not mean other parts are not important, but when i build, the motherboard is the first thing i spec, as that determines every other component in the system.

MasiveMunkey said:
man everyone knows the most important parts of a computer are the vacuum tubes that make computing possible. All you guys who think differently are insaine.
Vacuum tubes? I dont see any vacuum tubes in MY computer asshole. :rolleyes:
(yes I understand old computers used vacuum tubes but I dont really care hes still a asshole)

A computer is made up of the sum of it's parts ... without one it will not function ... there is no sense saying the CPU is most important ... because it's useless without the other parts ... except maybe as a keychain ...

You should of specified what computer part is important ethier in performance terms or in practical/technical terms.

For performance, I'd say the CPU (memory close 2nd) b/c it adds a performance boost when upgraded and hardware/software rely on it so much. For practical/technical, I'd say PSU b/c without it, all these computer parts would be useless :p

However, since there is no specification, no part is better/worse then the other. They are all dependant on each other. So stop posting these useless threads that go 10+ pages long and create pointless arguements ;)

I say motherboard, if only because everything else PLUGS INTO IT.

Given, you need a CPU to POST, memory to POST, power supply, to do anything, etc. etc...

...but you still need a motherboard to connect everything.

For performance, that's still really freaking vague. What kind of performance? Multichannel audio? Gigabyte-size video editing? 3d rendering? Gaming?

Mr.BrIaN said:
fans will be connected you douche.

HA HA HA LoL

ROFLMAO

:D damn *wipes tear away* that was freaken funny :D

my opinion:

most inportant: video card.. because it's the only part I'm missing :( well.. actually I'm missing the ram too.. :D i'm sure it will get here eventually

The correct answer is not on the poll and I can't believe everyone has missed it so far.

There is something every computer component has in common. It's the magic smoke. And if you let the magic smoke out of any of the components, they will no longer work. This goes for every component. :p

M3ltd0Vvn said:
...Operator.

Someone has to glue all those newegg parts together...

I still agree with myself...Can I do that? :rolleyes:

Performance - P5 10.2Ghz, Nvidi@ti Gforcadeon 6800X9002K8, with 15G of pc6660 Ram isnt gonna help if there is no dumb ass there to turn it on. With a PSU or not.

Web Surfer - P2 350mhz with 64M of ram is still a heap of chit if there is no one there to turn it on...

Any other computer in between - Etc, etc, etc....

/Golf clap

-=M=-

The motherboard, everything connects to the motherboard. Then you can get down to the levels of onboard stuff, like video, sound and LAN. But that can't count in this stupid thread, you can't leave out any of the stuff above... no point in just having standalone parts.

j3ff86 said:
infinity you are a moron.
infin|ty said:
I'm sorry, but you're the moron. If you would learn to read.
Mr.BrIaN said:
fans will be connected you douche.
Mr.BrIaN said:
I dont see any vacuum tubes in MY computer asshole. :rolleyes:
(yes I understand old computers used vacuum tubes but I dont really care hes still a asshole)

and this is where the thread gets locked for flaming
and I get to read the riot act
Mr.BrIaN & infin|ty Im sure you have been around long enough to know exactly how seriously this rule is enforced, and j3ff86 you know now
even when provoked retailation isnt allowed

in addition I am sadly disappointed at your lack of creativity :rolleyes:
whatever happened to the fine art of sarcasm?
the withering deluge of witty commentary? the rapier wit?
the rhetorical question? :p
are the finer points of expressing your distain unknown to you?
or are you just too lazy to compose them?
Resorting to base insults, is the refuge of the incompetent

this rule is so strictly enforced so that members can feel free to ask any question without the fear of being abused.
That such a simple and vague topic, one that by all rights can be answered either seriously or made fun of,
should be taken so seriously by some members as to provide an excuse for a flame fest and personal attacks is reprehensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back