What is the most important computer part?

What is the most important computer part?

• Motherboard

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • CPU

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Video Card

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Memory

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Hard Drive

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Power Supply

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Sound Card

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Moniter

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Case

• Fans

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I say mobo, without it, nothing is connected and will just sit there.

Thats more than you can do without a powersupply. ANd you can light up lights and other sexy thingys.

You need something to connect all the hardware together: I voted motherboard. Of course, without a power supply, nothing would work, but without a mobo and hardware, the PSU would be kind of pointless.

This poll's crazy!

With just a mobo nothing will turn on -_-. this is crap. Yes without a mobo the ps would be kind of pointless but not entirely, you could still use it to power things up that use DC. plus without a ps a mobo is kind of pointless also.

THe motherboard is the most important part of a computer. The mobo is the central nervous system of your computer, and is the ultimate factor in determining where the most bottle necks could occur.

But it is mostly the most important component because it is the most sensitive part of a computer.

Most of the time, if you're missing one. Nothing works so this is a dump thread.

infinity you are a moron. do you need a sound card to make the comp work? case? moniter? fans? video card? hard drive? no. it will still turn on.

i said PSU, but you really most of those parts to be able to do anything.

THE REAL MOST IMPORTANT PART, AND BEST INVENTION EVER WOULD HAVE TO BE THE TRANSISTOR

If you're going to say transistor is a part, then you can keep going and say that the atom or molecule or stupid shit like that is the most important part. Let me reword the question, what the is the most important computer component.

j3ff86 said:
infinity you are a moron. do you need a sound card to make the comp work? case? moniter? fans? video card? hard drive? no. it will still turn on.
So you consider a motherboard, processor, memory, and power supply to be a computer? In the theoretical sense it is, but what the hell can you do with it? WIthout input and output the computer is worthless. Besides, your poll is very vague. For some people the sound card is the most important part and the computer would be worthless without it. I think I'll ask people what their favourite colour is and then call people names when they say they like them all. Because nobody needs every colour! That is so stupid!

Could you please clarify what you meant by important? Everyone knows there are a few base components that are necessary for any computer, so those are all pretty important.

I thought the question was asking what is the most important part for gaming performance. At least, that is the only constructive question, b/c obviously you need all the parts to run anything.

The most important part for gaming performance is EASILY the video card. You can run a slow proc with a good video card and still play newer games with features disabled heavily.

You can also play without a fast HDD, just tolerate a long loading time.

And you can also play without a good soundcard, DEFINITELY wihout a "good" performance mobo, etc.

I know, b/c theo nly good part on my comp is my video card, but I can still enjoy newer games.

Hard drive is the most importent. Without it the computer has no means of running or there is no means for the hardware to work without software.

Wow, once again, irrelevant answers.

A better question is: what should be the highest-end part on your computer?

Once again, the answer is video card. A 3.6Ghz CPU is a waste of cash if you're just using a Radeon 9600 for gaming. You'd probably get better framerates with a 3Ghz CPU and a X800 XT Platinum, and spend a couple hundred less for the two items.

of course all (pretty much) are needed, but the most CRUCIAL, with , I think, the most impact, would have to be the motherboard.

I mean, it's what governs all your other equipment, therefore, it has an effect on EVERYTHING ELSE you use..

While the same can be said about the PSU, I feel between the two, a good motherboard / okay PSU is better than an okay motherboard / good PSU; and therefore, vote motherboard.

MadSkills said:
Wow, once again, irrelevant answers.

A better question is: what should be the highest-end part on your computer?

Once again, the answer is video card. A 3.6Ghz CPU is a waste of cash if you're just using a Radeon 9600 for gaming. You'd probably get better framerates with a 3Ghz CPU and a X800 XT Platinum, and spend a couple hundred less for the two items.
Well you are just assuming that this poll is about gaming, so your answer is just as irrelevant as any other. For any nongamer(which is a majority of computer users), the video card makes no difference. It doesn't have to be a high end video card. Though most users don't need high end anything. This poll is just stupid and pointless and we aren't really answering anything.

:p everything that you probably have in your computer right now is important :)
without them you would be sitting there and starring at a blank monitor

jpmkm said:
Well you are just assuming that this poll is about gaming, so your answer is just as irrelevant as any other.

Actually, I'm willing to bet that the majority of ppl on this forum and who posted here are gamers.

Besides, if the post does not refer to performance, then it's a useless question. It's like asking, which part is more important in your car, the tires or the brakes or the steering wheel?

j3ff86 said:
this poll was not supposed to be about performance.
Then what the hell is it about? Please tell us!! Every part in my computer is important. That is why they are all in there.

btw, I'm not really a gamer. I play games once in a while but I don't base my computer around games.

The single most important part of the computer, and the one that has the biggest impact on performance, is the motherboard. And before you guys start flaming, let me explain my reasoning. :D

The simple fact of the matter, is that ALL of the data moving in the computer must pass through the motherboard. The data moving from the CPU to system memory? Through the motherboard. From the CPU to the video card? Through the motherboard. CPU to the hard drive? You guessed it, through the motherboard.

That is not to say that the computer is not a "system" of components that can't function without each other. But if you look at overall system impact, the mobo is the most important part. It's the glue that holds the system together.

I'm not really a gamer either, only the occasional game of Warcraft 3 or Rise of Nations. I use my computer for development and work, and I'm sure many others also use it for this purpose on the [H], since there's a lot of professionals here.

spugnor said:
Spugnor said:
The single most important part of the computer, and the one that has the biggest impact on performance, is the motherboard.

I disagree, if you purchase a low end motherboard with the same chipset, you won't sacrifice that much performance. However, if I purchase a 9600 over a 9800 XT Pro, I'm probably sacrificing a lot of performance.

j3ff86 said:

I'm sorry, but you're the moron. If you would learn to read. I said Most of the time if you're missing one of those components it wont work.

gg fucking nub

MadSkills said:
Actually, I'm willing to bet that the majority of ppl on this forum and who posted here are gamers.

Besides, if the post does not refer to performance, then it's a useless question. It's like asking, which part is more important in your car, the tires or the brakes or the steering wheel?

Exactly what I am saying.

Power supply...

My reasoning is this:

The question simply asked for the most important part of a "computer". "Computer" was never actually defined. Technically an abacus could be considered a computer... *pulls out dictionary*

"A device that computes"
or
"One who computes"

Going by those definitions an abacus is a computer, or even a person who does a lot of math. So, why power supply???

Everything requires energy to work, and the question did not specify "electricity".

So the movement of a human hand is a "power supply" for an abacus (without someone using it it would not work"

Or if I go with the definition #2, the junk someone eats is the "power supply" for the computer (their brain).

So there is my twist on the whole thing.

The whole reason this post came to be is because I was telling J3ff about how my brother almost killed my computer. I was looking at the Hardforums when he takes a temp probe and shoves it into my powersupply(Enermax 430 I think) while the computer is running and a gianst spark comes out, monitor turns black with random lines and dots everywhere, I pull the plug and push him and said "WTF THIS B ETTER START UP OR UR PAYING FOR IT". It starts up but the back fan isnt working and it gets HOT =(. SO I put 2 fans on the outside oof it blowing in and out and now its working fine but I dont really trust it. Anyways I told jeff that the PSU was the most important part and he started argueing that the Motherboard was and so he made this thread to prove me wrong . :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back