What is the most expensive Video Card you ever bought?

The BLS' cpi has really stopped being a useful inflation measure. Recognize that the BLS is an arm of the administration. The above post shows a great example of how the numbers are "softened".

The CPI isn't a very good indicator of inflation in any particular market, since it measures the cost of survival, not the cost of how apples to apples cost rise for any particular product segment. The way the BLS calculates the CPI is based on what's called Hedonic Adjustments and Substitution. If Beef goes up in price 50% and Chicken stays stable, and everybody buys chicken and decides not to buy beef, inflation for meat products is considered 0% for that time period. Since GPUs and discrete computer components were once a large part of the semi-conductor industry, but today are an ever dwindling percentage of electronic sales (the vast majority today being dominated by smart phones since 2007), the CPI would under-estimate the inflation of PC components by several hundred percentage points most likely since the basket of goods for electronics for discrete components has gone from being a large percentage of the basket to almost non-existant.

Obviously an index isn't a way to track a specific variable.

Now based on government data, median income in 1993 was $30,404. That $3,145 corresponds to about 10.3% of the gross income for the median income individual.
To take 10.3% from today's median income ($53,013), it's $5460.34, more than the CPI adjusted number but still pretty close.

GTX 8800, great performer for a long time, just had too many driver issues with Vista.

Everything made by Nvidia had driver issues with Vista. Nvidia didn't listen to Microsoft when they explained the changes to the OS that would impact the drivers. Such a terrible situation.

I have never spent more than $329 on a video card. Back in the 90's when Doom first came out I purchased my 1st $300+ card. It was a Visiontek before they sold their name to the current owners. That card died and the new owners would not honor the lifetime warrenty but offered a $100 bucks toward the purchase of a new card.
Currently running a Asus GTX 680 bought for $300 bucks when it was 1 year old and the GTX 980's came out. The new Doom runs decent on that 680, just not as pretty.
Next month I will buy a GTX 980ti for $300 when the GTX 1080 comes out probably from one of you guys.

I run my GPUs into the ground before upgrading, so don't buy very often. My current 980Ti SC+ was $525 with a gift card, last year. Definitely the single most expensive GPU or any computer component I've ever bought. Before that, I had a 680 FTW for several years.

MM i think my old trusty NVIDIA Ti4600 Ultra at about $600 CAD when it came out, back when i was single, young and making good money!

4gb 960 ssc. after that a a 7970 xfx for 150 and a msi 7970 for 120. going to set them up for cross fire and see how they preform. both are the ghz edition thankfully.

Back