What is the most expensive Video Card you ever bought?

Spent around $750 back in 2005 for a 7800 GTX 512mb which was somewhat worth it since games were starting to be limited by 256mb VRAM. Was ticked off as all heckfire a month later when you could get a 7900 GTO 512mb which was essentially the same card for $450. Nowadays, I wouldn't ever spend over $550 (and ideally less) since the price/performance improvement takes a nose dive higher than that.

Well, the most expensive were my dual 980Ti's.
But, if we look how much I had to sacrifice to buy a fat card, I guess that 6800 Ultra was al ot more taxing on my economy since I was living with parents and was still studying.

X800XT on launch. Paid full gouging price. Was about 1250NZD so around or $837 USD today. The PEs were not available in my country.
Also had a brand new superbike then, before I was 20.. the perks of working full time, living at home, while your friends toiled away at uni.

Buying my 2 Titan X's last summer, EVGA Superclocked Titan X @ $1090 a pop totaling $2180 and putting NZXT Kraken G10's and X31 cooling on them. So if you include the cooling, it cost me around $2400.

I bought a GTX680 when they had just come out for ~$500 + Tax, and bought a 2nd one not too long afterward for about the same price.

In retrospect definitely not one of my best decisions... but I still run them today. In fact, I recently picked up a 3rd identical card for cheap to do Triple SLI, and that should hold me over until the next gen.

The Zotac 980Ti AMP! Editions in my sig. $650 a piece.

I think my first 8800GTX cost about that much back in the day, then I picked a second up about 6 months later, and eventually a third when they were cheap and on the way out just to mess around with 3-way SLI.

The Radeon 4890s that replaced them were cheaper, I don't remember how much though. So were the 6950s that replaced them.

Last edited:
The most I've ever spent on a video card was around $350 for a overclocked Sapphire 7950 3GB. I later purchased three more matching cards for $75 each. Trifired 7950's are pretty strong performers even today at 2560x1600. :D

My reference pair 980 Ti's at $649 at launch. Although much of that was funded by selling off my 980's. Planning to do the same with the upcoming Pascal (big pascal)....if they are any good.

My latest. Asus Strix R390X for $345.00 I never buy top of the line cards. Just never needed it for strategy games.

In relation to my income at the time: Voodoo 2 (eventually bought another for SLI)
Based on price: 8800 GTX

My most expensive card was the BFG 880 ULTRA 768mb card, I'm not positive on the price but I believe it was ~$600-$650. I used that card for quite a while even after it started to artifact and I did the oven trick 2 or 3 times. I still have the card in a box because it was too expensive to just throw away.

Ive generally been a broke ass gamer but I splurged back a couple years ago I splurged and spent $400 on an EVGA GTX 670 FTW. Didnt think I would ever spend that much on a video card. Then of course I dropped $600 on this MSI 290x Lightning. Every card Ive bought was more expensive than the last. Spent $250 on a 5870, $150 on a 4850 and $90 on a 9600GT. I was a console gamer before that and a Commodore 64 gamer before that so I havent bought a whole lot of video cards.

Itll probably be a while before I spend a lot on a GPU again because Ill be upgrading CPU and motherboard before that.

My 980Ti is the most expensive card I've ever owned. I bought it at a slight premium around the time it launched for $669.00 and after shipping it came out to be $683.18. No regrets.

This $610 980ti takes the cake. Before this it was the 3870x2 for $450, which had a fan problem right before warranty ran out, so I have a new/refurb as a backup.

This Titan X is easily my most expensive card purchase. Though I could argue that I bought it in March of last year and this is the longest I have ever gone without replacing my video card.

Damn Canada and their low dollar :( Just over $2k for my 980 ti's (strix)

9800 Pro for $400+ tax. That was retail store price gouging but I wanted it that day. Got around three years out of it and then moved on to a much cheaper 7900GT.

MSI GTX 970 4G. Good card though, but a bit on the pricey side. $380 total. I hope the $250 range becomes decent again. I paid $250 for a GTX 260 and it was very fast for its time. $330+ seems to be the new $250 in terms of performance.

The most expensive card I've ever bought is the Quadro M5000 in my new workstation build. I didn't pay the street price of $2200 but $1750 getting a nice deal through my employer. As far consumer/gaming cards are concerned the Titan X has been my most expensive card. The M5000 is actually the most trouble free card I've ever owned, probably because of the Quadro drivers. My Titan X and recent Geforce drivers are giving me headaches though.

Even after adjusting for inflation by far my most expensive single card is the one I currently have. The GTX980TI, that I purchased last year. But if I add together the 290X Crossfire setup I've had before that was almost the same when new. I still have some sellers remorse over that.
The second most expensive single card I owned was the ASUS V7700 Deluxe Geforce 2 GTS 32MB I had in 2001.

I think 1300 + ship is the most I have spent on video cards. First was 780 GTX SLi and now with the 980 Ti SLi. However, technically with 980 Ti SLi, I sold my old cards and also turned around 3-4 980 Tis so my effective cost was about 300 bucks but we don't talk about that... :p

Most expensive relative to income was a GeForce 2 pro back in college when I was dirt poor. Think it was $150.

As I get older and my steam backlog gets deeper there's just no reason to buy cutting edge stuff any more.

I have a 780 Ti collecting dust that I paid $500 for. Most of my gaming now is from the couch on a 960 (great card for gaming on a 1080p tv) that I grabbed off craigslist for $150 NIB.

the gtx 780 i currently have. was disappointed in the $650 price tag, still bought it.

GTX 590 at launch for $730.

to think that single cards now cost as much as dual cards used to not too long ago...

Two Titans @ $999 @ Fry's in Renton, WA. Then I got two 295x2's from the egg when they were $629 each (After they started @ retail around $1500)

Quadro FX 5600, for around $2700 I think. Basically a tarted-up 8800GTX. Had to RMA the first one for some reason that I can't remember. Wouldn't get a "pro" card again, because as it turns out I can't be bothered to do actual work in my spare time. So that was an expensive lesson to learn.

Quadro FX 5600, for around $2700 I think. Basically a tarted-up 8800GTX. Had to RMA the first one for some reason that I can't remember. Wouldn't get a "pro" card again, because as it turns out I can't be bothered to do actual work in my spare time. So that was an expensive lesson to learn.

Not to mention you could softmod the 8800GTX and get 90% of the performance of a pro card. Not sure if that's an option with modern stuff, though -- haven't been in to 3DS Max and such in years.

This was given to me so I have no idea what it cost new, I am thinking it was pretty pricey in it's day,
oxygen1.jpg

I also have a Matrox RT.X2 editing card sitting on my desk upstairs, we paid $1700 for it in 2007. It is a full length PCIe card so you had to choose a case that was deep enough to house the card.
I stripped the machine down a couple of years ago, used the motherboard in my HTPC, it was one of the few Socket 775 boards that had DDR3 slots on it.
I have the old processor and the ATI 3870 sitting behind me on my workbench.

This is the I/O box,
rt03.jpg

First higher end card I bought was a XFX 6950, i forget the price around $350 maybe, not sure. Then I bought 2 XFX 7970 Black Editions at $600 a piece. I'm not sure if i paid that full price. Thats what the launch price was when it took the performance crown for that short window. Now, recently I bought 2 980 ti's at $500 a piece, nice deal on those. Damn no wonder my better half bitches at me on my hobby expenditures, lol, and thats only the pixel pushing department. Much more spending to come.

Back