What is the max voltage one should use for overclocking Pentium D 955XE (Air Cooled)?

Manoj

Gawd
I have currently overclocked my Pentium D 955XE to 4.71Ghz (Air cooled) at 1.45V.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/ManojM//4.71Ghz.JPG

The CPU temp after benchmarks reads 50 degrees C.

I am not sure about the Pentium D 955XE but with my Opteron 170 overclocked to 3ghz (1.55V), the CPu temp was about 40 degrees C.

Does the Pentium D 955XE really run that hot?

I can also run the Pentium D 955XE at 4.41Ghz (Default voltage).

http://premium1.uploadit.org/ManojM//4.41Ghz.JPG

The CPU temp is not high at all when run at default voltage.

It seems that running at higher voltage over stock voltage raises the CPu temp quickly.

So keeping in mind that I am only using air cooling, what is the max voltage I should use to keep the CPU temp within safe temperature readings?

By the way I am using the Asus P5WD2-E motherboard.

I would just find a happy medium slightly above default voltage for a clock of like 4.5Ghz...

I think 4.5Ghz (4 threads @ a nice even 15x300FSB) will be fast enough for ANYTHING you throw at it.

Personally, I think I'm going to run my 920 at 3.8 or 4.0Ghz at default voltage, just to keep it cool.

Holy crap, that CPU's one helluva overclocker! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I usually like to keep it right at or below 1.5V on my Prescott, if I maybe need to go slightly over 1.5V I might do it for a short while, but usually I keep mine at 1.48V (which actually translates to 1.46V with this board's undervolting problems).

sac_tagg said:
Holy crap, that CPU's one helluva overclocker! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I usually like to keep it right at or below 1.5V on my Prescott, if I maybe need to go slightly over 1.5V I might do it for a short while, but usually I keep mine at 1.48V (which actually translates to 1.46V with this board's undervolting problems).

FYI, these are 65nm CPU's. Not 90nm Prescotts!!

Each process the default voltage has dropped

P3/Williamette = 1.65v
Northwood 130nm = 1.525v
Prescott 90nm = 1.35 - 1.38v
Presler/Cedar Mill 65nm = 1.25 - 1.325v

The newer chips fluctuate more it seems, I guess to handle the various states and help keep them cool. But with vcore set to auto & under load mine was like 1.27v

Back