what is the legal way to install winxp pro/home & office xp on more than one machine?

blue_heart71

Limp Gawd
i am starting to build computers for others, and i care to be in safe side, and meanwhile i care to minimize the charges of installing legal copy, so what is the best way to install winx pro or home on customers new machines?? can i use the same copy on every new machine so i charge a low percentage or dont charge at all? or i can call ms and get new activation for every new machine i install and pay them some bucks?

the same goes for office xp

Doing it the way you described above is considered piracy. It's supposed to be 1 license per installation. Same goes for Office, unless the Office install is a multi-user license. Corporations can get 1 license to install XP on all (say 3+ to 500+ ) of their workstations, and that's what's called a site license.

Devildoc is correct. With the OS one license per machine. Now Office you can install on one desktop and one laptop as long as they are licensed to the same user and both aren't used at the same time. It would be a good idea to go to M$'s site and read all the different EULA's. Also they have plenty of systembuilders information also. There are other licensing options but they all come down to one license one machine.

the best you can do is get oem copies. iirc the oem license says that that copy can only ever go on the oringinal machine it's installed on and you put the little oem license sticker on.

Ok in this the persons question, How much are the licenses if you bought a pack for five users?

thanks guys

there is something i cant understand, some people dont charge for windows but they dont put license sticker on your machine, while some people dont charge but they put the license sticker on your machine but dont give the installation cd.

are they using legal or illegal ways?

when you say you buy license, do you mean license sticker + installation cd or only license sticker?

AFAIK all you need to have a license is the sticker. IBM does that pop a sticker on there and not give you a CD thing. I had to borrow my XP CD from home to reinstall. Fortunately my OEM copy worked with the key that was pasted onto the IBM.
In theory you could probably just buy the licenses and not give people media, but that's evil. It's not nice to sell someone a copy of Windows w/o giving them installation media.

edit: Plus, the CD would only be a couple bucks more after you pay the license fee.

Back