What is the last game that lived up to the hype on day 1?

Definitely Borderlands, all of them, and especially their DLC, by far the best DLC for a game ever....

And, I'm going to go out on a limb and say CS:GO.

If we're just naming the last one - Dark Souls 2. It worked absolutely fine on day 1.

Far Cry 3
Borderlands 1 & 2
Skyrim

I had a lot of fun with all 4 of the games you mentioned, they were definitely on my "exceeded expectations for day 1" list, no doubt.

Definitely have to add the Uncharted games on there as well, they were all fantastic, and easily on my top 10 of all-time list.

Far Cry 3
Borderlands 1 & 2
Skyrim
I'll go with these, except I've not played Skyrim, yet. Just started FC3 and it's great. I didn't expect to be so pleased with the Borderlands games, so they were a big surprise. There are other games I'd put on this list, like the Mass Effect series, but I'm late for a dentist appointment.

I don't ever get pulled in by the hype, so I would have to say none, ever.

The last game that made me smile and I got a kick out of from Day 1?
Mass Effect 2

The 2014 release that got closest to that feeling was Forza Horizon 2. But no other game since ME2 has pulled me in to the point where I didn't want to put it down.

Half life 2 and no I don't recall it ever crashing for me, I think I binge-played it and finished in like 3 days I think. Its been a while. I just don't buy anything day 1 anymore I think.

South Park Stick of Truth. Exactly what it was suppose to be. No bugs. Hardly any dlc. Complete game.

alien colonial marines

10_funny_celebrity_gifs3.gif

Yeah, Mass Effect 3 has got to be a typo.

Fro me, DX:HR was pretty much the last one. Skyrim was good, but I felt disappointed. Probably because I was expecting something closer to Morrowind.

I had no problems with ME3, it was great on day 1. The ending is another story, but that doesn't make me forget the 28 hours of greatness before it.

As for DX:HR it was a let down for me. It was a good game, but nowhere near as good as I wanted it to be. Let's face it it was no more than a simplified dumbed down version of DeusEx the original.

Alien Isolation would've lived up to the hype, if it had any. I mean prior to release I heard nothing of it, the hype only started after gamers reviews started coming out after day 1.

Alien Isolation would've lived up to the hype, if it had any. I mean prior to release I heard nothing of it, the hype only started after gamers reviews started coming out after day 1.

There was tons of stuff about it I thought. I had been following it since last January when I first heard of it. All of the teaser videos and people playing the demo level, developer diaries, etc. I was hyped up for it a lot. Granted it kinda dropped off after January/February and didn't pick back up until a little later in the year. Maybe it was just me generating my own hype.

Skyrim <- It was not as good as Morrowind story wise, but it was way better then Oblivion.
Tomb Raider
Black Flag
Dragon Age Inquisition
Witcher 2
COD4
Far Cry 3
Wolfenstein New Order <- But was way way to short.

There was tons of stuff about it I thought. I had been following it since last January when I first heard of it. All of the teaser videos and people playing the demo level, developer diaries, etc. I was hyped up for it a lot. Granted it kinda dropped off after January/February and didn't pick back up until a little later in the year. Maybe it was just me generating my own hype.

All I know that I haven't even heard about it until a few days or weeks before release. And one of my old high school friends is working at CA as a designer. Back in the day we used to talk about how a really good game should play, and A:I is very much like that concept.

Half-life 2
Halo
cards against humanity
Stanly parable
Goat Sim
You Don't Know Jack

Deathtrap.

It had no hype at all and I can't stop playing it. It's a pretty awesome game.

Fallout 3. The leak. The vids on YouTube being deleted as fast as people could post them. The nail-biting, hoping my save file from the leaked ISO would work when I finally picked up my preorder copy.

Last game to live up to the hype on day 1 for me is probably Skyrim and it was more than what I expected. Though the Fallout and Elder Scrolls[*] series hasn't disappointed me yet.

I also wasn't disappointed with Shadow of Mordor, but it wasn't hyped until it was just about released, I actually forgot it was coming out for about a year.

*I'm not including ESO, I don't play MMO's.

I gotta add Assassins Creed Unity because it also had the effect of getting me Far Cry 4 for free so it lived up to the hype in the sense of saving me $60 :D

Arkham Asylum & City were pretty much everything I was hoping for when I played them. I still listen to the soundtrack for City a few times a week, particularly when playing other games. Fantastic score.

"Max Payne 3" - Multiplayer
"Limbo"
"Bastion"
"Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten"
"Sang-Froid- Tales of Werewolves"
"FTL"
"Gauntlet" - the reboot
"Saint's Row: The Third"
"Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons"
"Battle Group 2"
"Expeditions: Conquistador"
"Shadowrun: Dragonfall"
"This War of Mine"
"Mortal Kombat Komplete"

There have been a bunch of games in recent memoty that have been better than I expected: Witcher 2, Alien Isolation etc. I'm actually surprised now when I enjoy a game due to the amount of over-marketed garbage out there. I think the one that takes the cake, however, was Divinity OS. Also, the newest Sherlock game was way better than expected.

Back