What is the highest metacritic-scored game that you dislike in your library?

total war shogun 2 (90)

not at all what i was expecting. didn't quite scratch the civ building/fighting itch that i had when i bought it. played it for three hours and didn't like any of the mechanics at all.

Same here. :(

How so? I tried to get into part two and I saw nothing different except now i could throw some bombs and shit.

There were no stances in 2, nor click based timing. Just combos and fast and heavy attacks. Completely different combat mechanics.

The Witcher and The Witcher 2 (88%).

I literally do not know how you guys can play this. The combat system is a bunch of win button, quick time bullshit. Oh, you are a fast little guy? Guess I best press my "kill fast little guys" stance button and start mashing my mouse, then I'll press my "kill magic guys" button to bring out my silver sword for a little mashin'. I'm gonna be herping ma sword on your derp until you fall down, then maybe I'll drink some roots and throw some rocks at you just to break the monotony. Ugh. If this is what passes as strategic combat, I'll stick to Skyrim where at least it's fun stupidity.

lol win

What other games do you hate so I can pick them up. We seem to have exactly opposite tastes!:D

WoW, Crysis (all), all those homo hack 'n' slash Darksiders/Bayonetta/Dante's Inferno/Devil May Cry shitnoises.

Far Cry 3
Beautiful open world, but as someone else has said, got stale really fast for me. Just felt like something was missing and gameplay is not really there or deserving of the praise it received. The world actually felt empty to me, the exploration unsatisfying and not enough human enemy AI.

Guild Wars 2
Again, gorgeous world, but flawed at it's core, with too many broken or unrealized mechanics, and began to bore and frustrate me rather quickly. Feels like a rather hollow shell of a game with a pretty exterior. Despite liking some the effects, in general, the skill system is a disaster, as is the PvP.

Planetside 2
Decent game, can be fun at times, but feels rather flat. Even in large battles I just don't "feel" it, and while it looks decent, it's not as varied or high-res as it was purported to be; environments don't elicit the "wow" reaction. Combat just feels "meh".

I wouldn't say I "hate" these titles, as there were some redeeming aspects to each one that are good and some things I've enjoyed, but not enough to overshadow their flaws.

Oddly, I know quite a few people who feel the same exact way about these three titles, that they seemed great at first, but got stale quick and their fundamental flaws revealed rather quickly, and they moved on to other games.

The man that hated the world, right here folks.

Hates everything.

Just bad things!
The Witcher and The Witcher 2 (88%).

I literally do not know how you guys can play this. The combat system is a bunch of win button, quick time bullshit. Oh, you are a fast little guy? Guess I best press my "kill fast little guys" stance button and start mashing my mouse, then I'll press my "kill magic guys" button to bring out my silver sword for a little mashin'. I'm gonna be herping ma sword on your derp until you fall down, then maybe I'll drink some roots and throw some rocks at you just to break the monotony. Ugh. If this is what passes as strategic combat, I'll stick to Skyrim where at least it's fun stupidity.

This description suggests to me that you played an hour of the first game and none of the second. LMB mashing will cause all your attacks to turn to shit regardless of stance, and the combat in TW2 is totally different.

The man that hated the world, right here folks.

Hates everything.

i don't know, the games he listed are all pretty mass-produced generic bullshit.

edit: for clarification i meant in his second round

Portal 2, 95%

Compared to portal 1 the puzzles were simple, this game was clearly targeted at a casual audience and it showed, barely a 4 hour single player with embarrassingly straight forward puzzles.

When the game dropped from £30 to £5 I bought it, at that price point I might have given the game about a 75%, at £30 for the full game the insanely bad value for money puts it closer to a 40% to be honest.

Hard Reset. Bought it. Played it an hour. Hated it. Waited a month. Played it again an hour. Hated it even more.

It throws at you hordes of enemies that you cannot even see clearly so fast those are and you need to spray and pray that you kill all of them.

May be I'm already too old for this hyper fast paced shit.

Hard Reset. Bought it. Played it an hour. Hated it. Waited a month. Played it again an hour. Hated it even more.

It throws at you hordes of enemies that you cannot even see clearly so fast those are and you need to spray and pray that you kill all of them.

May be I'm already too old for this hyper fast paced shit.

That was my experience with Hard Reset as well. I used to love twitchy shooters but Hard Reset felt like it was missing something. Nothing about it really felt right somehow.

This description suggests to me that you played an hour of the first game and none of the second. LMB mashing will cause all your attacks to turn to shit regardless of stance, and the combat in TW2 is totally different.

I played quite a bit of Witcher 1. If you are taking offense to the term "mashing," then yes, that was hyperbole. I should have said "mashing my LMB every few seconds when I am told to do so."

I played a few hours of Witcher 2, and saw nothing but cosmetic changes to the same basic system. Strong strike, swift strike, throw some daggers, etc. It just was not fun.

And this is coming from someone who has Dark Souls and Demon's Soul.

I played quite a bit of Witcher 1. If you are taking offense to the term "mashing," then yes, that was hyperbole. I should have said "mashing my LMB every few seconds when I am told to do so."

I played a few hours of Witcher 2, and saw nothing but cosmetic changes to the same basic system. Strong strike, swift strike, throw some daggers, etc. It just was not fun.

It's not the same basic system. It's not as good as the Souls games with regards to combat, but TW2 is a definite imporvement over the first in that area.

That was my experience with Hard Reset as well. I used to love twitchy shooters but Hard Reset felt like it was missing something. Nothing about it really felt right somehow.

Wow, me too. Every word of this post and the one it quotes were true for me. Such a shame, because it's a gorgeous game and I really wanted to like it.

i don't know, the games he listed are all pretty mass-produced generic bullshit.

edit: for clarification i meant in his second round

Heh what's wrong with WoW? I wouldn't call it shit exactly.

I'm not a terribly big fan of the DMC type games, but I don't think they're shit...

Did you play TW1 on easy? If so, I could see how you might hate combat - it requires nothing but the timed button pressing you describe. Average and hard both (at least, at times) require management of signs/potions/traps/bombs to succeed. But overall I agree that the combat was one of the weakest elements of that game. I felt the story/environments/score/characters were all so good I could easily overlook it though.

OTOH, I strongly disagree with your statements about TW2. Outside of the fact that both games superficially had a strong and swift strike (they worked and were executed differently) and steel and silver swords (probably the biggest "constant") and the effects of the signs were similar, they play, feel, and run differently. Personally, I can't imagine any game and its sequel having MORE difference in fundamental gameplay. Potions worked differently, exclusive mouse control was no longer an option, the UI was vastly different, the development trees were entirely revamped, and maybe most importantly, there was no longer any way to pause in combat. TW1 plays tactically like Dragon Age: Origins with a single person in your party. TW2 plays real-time like an Elder Scrolls game.

Naturally, I respect your opinion regarding how enjoyable you found them, but I don't think there's a lot of evidence that supports the statement that they're highly similar.

Probably Empire Total War @ 90. Worst game in the series, I really hated the combat, time period and everything about the game (Especially coming from MW2). Bought it for retail on release date, played about 2 hours, tried another few hours later, still hated it, garbage.

For some reason, I can not get into the Deus Ex series...I had to force my way through the original, and am doing the same again with HR. I want to enjoy it, I really do, just for some reason it feels like a lot of work and not so much fun :(

Farcry 3. that game was crap. the main story was fairly good. but other than that it was 5 quests/ missions that they wanted you to play 5 thousand times. and they call that sandbox. hell just cause 2was better and it had no story , just a better sand box environment.

and every one that said it was a fps skyrim should get punched in the face. skyrim has actual stuff you can do besides the main story.(even if most of them a glorified fetch quests). if i remember correctly Farcry had a the stabaguy mission the hunting missions, the medical time trials, the radio tower objectives and the outpost objectives. and a bunch of find 390 rocks side objectives. that's it........if i wanted to grind through same quests out over and over again i would go back to wow and start dooing dailies. i would have had more fun if it was a rails shooter with a longer story line. and better coop.

i swear that ubi just threw money at all the reviewers so they would get a good score.

For some reason, I can not get into the Deus Ex series...I had to force my way through the original, and am doing the same again with HR. I want to enjoy it, I really do, just for some reason it feels like a lot of work and not so much fun :(

I think a lot of IT people appreciate cyber punk...if you don't like the genre, the game probably won't do much for you. It's the weird mix of the future, hacking, drugs and asian features (karate, ninjas etc). I don't much care for the environment myself. With that said, Human Revolution was a fairly good stealth game.

I think I'll go with Bioshock 2. It's probably the most vain attempt to suck blood out of fans I've ever seen. Completely outsourced. Tons of bugs on PC. GFWL. Short. Nothing new added. Recycled enemies. DLC on disc. Forced in multiplayer. Generic plot that could have been pulled from a saturday morning cartoon.

I can definitely see how people with low standards who mostly enjoyed the bloodletting of Bioshock might tolerate it, but I played Bioshock for the originality, social and political commentary. Even going in hearing people had qualms with it I was unprepared for how disappointing it really is. People didn't notice for whatever reason but I'm absolutely certain BS2 was the key game that started the trend of ripping people off with the above mentioned things like nonfunctional drm, on disc dlc and forced multiplayer. It was truly a worst of every evil scenario.

Oh ya i forgot about bioshock 2 that had to be one of the worst games i have ever played

I loved Bioshock 1, I never even played the second after hearing the commentary from those that have played. Hopefully Infinite turns things around a bit. Then again, it is going to be hard to top the setting of the original game. The original plot and storyline was immensely interesting IMO.

Back