what is the fastest 980 gtx card there is?

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
since the Radeon r9 fury (non x) is going to be slower than a 980 I have decided to buy a 980.
which is the best 980 gtx card there is out there?

A 980Ti :)

I've heard great things about MSI and Gigabyte 980's, Asus strix is also an excellent choice. Might be able to find a used one for a good price as many are moving to the Ti.

If you are talking strictly the 980 then the gigabyte g1 gaming. Otherwise the G1 gaming 980 TI stock crushes the titan x at stock. So if you willing to spending a bit more get the 980 TI

Unless going used or you don't have an adequate PSU, I would not get a 980. The 980 Ti is a lot faster for not all that much more (especially in Europe). If you must have a new one I'd probably just get a 970 as it can be overclocked to around 980 levels and is generally fine for 1080p@60 fps and 1440p@30 fps.

I think the fastest is the one I am using, its quite a mouthful :)
Inno3D iChiLL GTX 980 HerculeZ X4 Air Boss and the Ultra version.
Its default clock speeds are core (boost) 1400MHz, memory 3600MHz.

It clocks to 1600MHz / 3980MHz with a small voltage boost and fan increase.
The card is very quiet until the fan goes over 40%.
It doesnt need to go over 40%, its such a good cooler. Going higher fan makes practically no difference.
To hit 1600MHz, I max at 37% fan, max GPU temp is under 60C.

At 1080p I can almost max out the settings for Witcher 3, GTA V and Project Cars, the most hardcore games.
All of them need a slight tweak to maintain 60fps though.
Although PCars and GTA V also become mildly CPU limited at times on a [email protected].

Its pretty quick but if you can afford a custom cooled 980ti, that could be the better option as you will get about 20 to 25% better performance when both are highly clocked.
And with 6GB Ram, you can better cope with 4K if you ever intend on upgrading to it before your next card purchase.

but. is a 980 gtx good enough for say 1440p gaming?

Having played and enjoyed my overclocked 980 STRIX on my 1200p monitor well with games like Witcher 3 and Far Cry 4 and high settings and maintaining good framerates, the jump to 1440 made it impossible for my 980 to maintain 60fps in games like Witcher 3 and Far Cry 4 without some serious visual setting changes. Other less demanding games run fine, but your gonna need a Ti to maintain 60fps with high settings on 1440p or do SLI

Interestingly enough I play at 1440P 60hz, with a G1 980. Everything is on ultra, and I have not any issues with any new released games. ;)

Tetris and Pacman dont count.
Which newly released games have you found it is good with ultra settings?

Interestingly enough I play at 1440P 60hz, with a G1 980. Everything is on ultra, and I have not any issues with any new released games. ;)
Then you are not playing the really demanding games or you are fine with average framerates well below 60 fps even without real AA in most cases.

Back