what is the difference of an entry at HKey_Current_User/Software vs. HKey_Local_Machine\Software

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I am comparing a screen capture of a software that I have in an old machine, in which I have a few entry of that software under HKey_Local_Machine\Software

But on my current PC, I don't see that same software at HKey_Local_Machine\Software

rather, I see that same software at HKey_Current_User\Software

knowing the same software is installed on 2 different PC at 2 different time period, shouldn't the entry be at the same spot? why would it be at a different spot ?

further, is an entry on HKey_Local_Machine\Software has the same effect as the same entry at HKey_Current_User\Software

then if I add an entry on that same software, it shouldn't matter whether it's at Local machine or Current User, would it?
Only if you use a separate user, like administrator. If you do a right click and "run as administrator" that key won't be there for the admin user.

I'm not picking on you OP. This is what happens after years of Microsoft not teaching its users the basics of what a user account is.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is a global configuration location. If you add something here it effects any user on the machine Admin ... User 1... User 2 ect.
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER is a User specific location. So if you have a setting in here for a piece of software you have installed it only effects the "current user" if someone else has an account on that machine that setting will not apply to them.
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT contains file extension associations and other class ids
Computer\HKEY_USERS is user specific configuration information this will retain information if you say switch users rather then logging one out ect
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG here windows tracks difference between your current running settings and the standard settings.

As Pendragon says probably want to stay away from registry changes for the most part. I know a lot of people tinker with them... just don't tinker with anything you don't fully or at least mostly understand. No software should legitimately require you to touch the registry.

For the most part you only want to use the registry to enable things that don't have a user facing setting or settable policy or something. As an example the only registry tweak I have used in the last decade has been;
to add the value RealTimeIsUniversal to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation because Microsoft machines don't know how to properly keep time.

I'm not picking on you OP. This is what happens after years of Microsoft not teaching its users the basics of what a user account is.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is a global configuration location. If you add something here it effects any user on the machine Admin ... User 1... User 2 ect.
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER is a User specific location. So if you have a setting in here for a piece of software you have installed it only effects the "current user" if someone else has an account on that machine that setting will not apply to them.
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT contains file extension associations and other class ids
Computer\HKEY_USERS is user specific configuration information this will retain information if you say switch users rather then logging one out ect
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG here windows tracks difference between your current running settings and the standard settings.

As Pendragon says probably want to stay away from registry changes for the most part. I know a lot of people tinker with them... just don't tinker with anything you don't fully or at least mostly understand. No software should legitimately require you to touch the registry.

For the most part you only want to use the registry to enable things that don't have a user facing setting or settable policy or something. As an example the only registry tweak I have used in the last decade has been;
to add the value RealTimeIsUniversal to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation because Microsoft machines don't know how to properly keep time.
There are some (albeit stupid) cases where a registry change is required such as if you want to view images on full resolution on SAP Business Objects viewer.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Back