what is the difference btwn. M.2 SATA SSD vs. M.2 NVMe (PCIE) SSD?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
SATA M.2 utilizes SATA communication protocol over the M.2 port connection.

NVMe (PCIe) M.2 uses a different standard than SATA communication protocol. IT just happens that NVMe runs directly over the PCIe bus rather than through a SATA chipset.
NVMe offers substantially higher data transfer rates due to it using the NVMe communication protocol which supports higher bandwidth and throughput that the current SATA3 standards.

Here is an article explaining the differences in greater detail.

great article, thanks.

This is what I'm not happy with: In the old days, as long as the slot fits, we snapped it in, we are done. Now, have a look at this:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-B150M-D3H (rev. 1.0)

[/x M.2 Socket 3 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA & PCIe x4/x2/x1 SSD support)QUOTE]

see they inserted the word "M key" on it

if you go to Intel 600p SSD for e.g.,

Intel® SSD 600p Series (512GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D1, TLC) Specifications

intel didn't say it's M key.

so for compatibility reason, are we suppose to verify brand like Intel is M key then? Because supposedly, Intel says it's M.2, Gigabyte says it's M.2, we snap it in, we are done.

I agree, the key thing is a bit confusing and sometimes difficult to identify what key a new product is and whether that matches the keying your current equipment supports.
Anyway, for the Intel SSD 600p Series, (SSDPEKKW512G7X1), Intel is using a M-Keyed form factor.

Source 1 - PCPer review of the 256 GB version of this SSD

Cross-Reference to the Asus Sabertooth X99 Motherboard PCPer tested on and specs indicate the M.2 on the Sabertooth X99 is a M keyed NVME M.2 form factor.

SABERTOOTH X99
New Intel® Core™ i7 Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, graywith M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (Support PCIE SSD only)
Intel® X99 chipset :
1 x SATA Express portcompatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
8 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s),
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Recovery Technology*2

Thus my conclusion that the Intel 512GB NVME M.2 is a M-keyed product.
One other important consideration is that the Intel 512Gb NVME M.2 is a 2280 (22mm x 80 mm) configuration so make sure that your board supports that size (it probably does).

that's my conclusion as well. I just installed a 540p in the above gigabyte motherboard, the boot up time is only 2 sec. I am eager to see what the new 600p can do

Back