What is the difference between the 920 and 860?

I've been debating this for about and hour now and I really like the MSI P55-GD80 for the 1156. However, I'm very annoyed at the fact that I can't find a good cooler for the 1156. I can't be too annoyed though since it was a very short lived socket.

I think I'm going to have to go with the 920 for this one small irritance.

I use the Cogage True Spirit with Thermalright's 1156 bolt thru kit.

http://www.crazypc.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=true-spirit-50981&Category_Code=

http://www.crazypc.com/store/mercha...uct_Code=1156-bolt-thru-509604&Category_Code=

$38+$10+shipping.

[X]eltic;1034965185 said:
The Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B. is compatible with the 1156 socket. As you probably know, the Prolimatech Megahalems is one of the best - if not the best - air cooler on the market.

Yea i have one on my 920 and can confirm its a great cooler and is also for 1156, but why any enthusiast would choose 1156 over 1366 especially after learning the pros and cons PRIOR to purchase is mind boggling to me given the pros and cons. But at the end of the day its what Pros and Cons are important to you personally.

"But at the end of the day its what Pros and Cons are important to you personally."

That's exactly right. What boggles one person's mind might not boggle another's. And besides that, the 1156 has already been pronounced dead. So that issue is null and void now.

CB

"But at the end of the day its what Pros and Cons are important to you personally."

That's exactly right. What boggles one person's mind might not boggle another's. And besides that, the 1156 has already been pronounced dead. So that issue is null and void now.

CB

Is there a source for that? Just wondering. Oh well, just my luck, lol.

Where? All those articles tell me are power consumption and comparisons to the i7-920...

This must have been what I was looking at by [X]eltic (second post in this thread) "there really is no advantage to the socket 1156 processors anymore". Maybe I was over-reacting a little bit, but all the anti-860/pro-920 posts all over the forums ever since the 860 came out are getting to me a little bit I guess. This thread isn't too bad, but according to most threads on the subject we might as well throw our 860's in the trash. Hopefully I didn't make a too much of the situation.

CB

Is the 1156 dead already? I just got mine. Oh well, if there aren't any good hsf's for the 1156 I guess that puts the last nail in its coffin.

CB

Naw 1156 is not dead what soever. It is accually a good platform, and will be around for awhile.

The only drawbacks is no Gulftown support, and it isnt the greatest chipset for Xfire/SLI. Otherwise nothing wrong with it :)

Shit I debated for months which route to go. In the end 6 CPU's in X58 was worth the extra 50-75 bucks to spend for future procs.

I think the smart choice is to wait for usb 3 and sata 6 to mature some, let the 930 come out, then reevaluate.

It is going to be a while before these become mainstream. I really don't see the need to wait, worst case scenario you get an add on card for an "old" mobo.

The 930 should just be an updated 920, little faster, maybe better at OC but I doubt it.

It is going to be a while before these become mainstream. I really don't see the need to wait, worst case scenario you get an add on card for an "old" mobo.

The 930 should just be an updated 920, little faster, maybe better at OC but I doubt it.

Plus I don't get this "wait" mentality. New tech comes out constantly. If you have that kind of mentality you'll always be waiting for the next best thing.

I almost bought 2 computers today, 1st a lynnfield setup which soldout, then a 920 setup, which i just couldnt bring myself to buy. lynnfield setup is about 500 for cpu/mobo/ram, and bloomfield is about 700. i wish i could just find a great deal on a 920 or 860 =/ 8 cores is just outta my price range, for now.

I almost bought 2 computers today, 1st a lynnfield setup which soldout, then a 920 setup, which i just couldnt bring myself to buy. lynnfield setup is about 500 for cpu/mobo/ram, and bloomfield is about 700. i wish i could just find a great deal on a 920 or 860 =/ 8 cores is just outta my price range, for now.

Here's an 860 setup I just bought yesterday for $622 shipped, and I still have a $25 rebate for the RAM. Also, I had to combo the MOBO and CPU for that price.

MOBO: MSI P55-GD80 LGA
CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
RAM: Mushkin Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HSF: ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

It also comes with some Intel promo thing for free,

i know whatever i get next is what ill keep until sandy bridge, no gulftown or westmere for me. so i need somethin thatll last, 8 cores for under 250$ thats my goal. so im hoping the 860s drop to 250 asap!

thenewrick, what do you use your computer for? Your current system (as in your sig.) is not brand new, but it's certainly not bad either and if I were you I'd wait with the upgrade. If you'd spend $400 you'd notice a speed difference of course, but nothing earth-shattering. Mostly programs that use multiple cores will benefit. Better save that money and buy something really nice when Sandy Bridge is out. And if you are a gamer, you can always upgrade your graphics card in the meantime, since you're not CPU limited with your Core 2 Duo at high-resolutions anyway.

its just an aging system, minor glitches here and there. cant run left for dead 2 with multicore rendering enabled. my video card seems to be pretty good for now but i also want to buy a widescreen monitor, i have a non wide now, so we'll see how strong the card is at higher ws resolutions

Back