What is the difference between Dell 3219 Q vs Dell 3216Q displays ? 3216Q is $500 more.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/comp..._Dell_UP3216Q/BHitems/1434507-REG_1194916-REG

i don't understand but this older model 3216 Q is much more expensive than this new 3216 Q from dell. 3216Q has what's called Premier color. But then color and constrast ratio seem like same on both models. and Number of colors seem like it is same as well. Mainly i am looking for Best 4K moniter for watching movies and playing Games. Thank you

The 2019 has a slightly newer panel with better contrast ratio and supports a basic (useless) form of HDR. Both monitors exhibit noticeable PWM flicker (around 240Hz IIRC).

Dell's specs show more details the B&H's. The 2016 model is backlit instead of edgelit. That means it probably has more consistent brightness levels, and is the only thing it really has going for a normal consumer vs the 2019 model. (All else being equal backlit panels tend to be thicker but have smaller bezels than edgelit models; but in this particular case 3 years of better engineering mean that the new edgelit model wins the small bezel prize too. The bulkier size of the 2016 might also be deliberate, better cooling also gives a minor advantage in color/brightness stability all else being equal.)

It looks like the main thing premier color lets you do is reprogram the monitors internal color calibration. If you have a colorimeter, and are doing color sensitive work being able to calibrate the monitor directly instead of doing a fixup in your OS can get better results. This is a feature for professional video/image editors; for the other 99.9% of the population it's useless. And since both models are factory calibrated the out of the box experience will be similar.

For a general consumer: against the 2016's potentially more even backlighting, the 2019 is brighter, has higher contrast, uses less power, has faster response times, is significantly lighter, and has a direct USB-C input (useful with some newer laptops since you won't need a dongle). Unless you're doing computer artwork of some sort, you almost certainly want the newer model.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...onitor-with-premiercolor-up3216q/apd/210-afln
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-4k-usb-c-monitor-u3219q/apd/210-aqzz/

Dell's specs show more details the B&H's. The 2016 model is backlit instead of edgelit. That means it probably has more consistent brightness levels, and is the only thing it really has going for a normal consumer vs the 2019 model. (All else being equal backlit panels tend to be thicker but have smaller bezels than edgelit models; but in this particular case 3 years of better engineering mean that the new edgelit model wins the small bezel prize too. The bulkier size of the 2016 might also be deliberate, better cooling also gives a minor advantage in color/brightness stability all else being equal.)

It looks like the main thing premier color lets you do is reprogram the monitors internal color calibration. If you have a colorimeter, and are doing color sensitive work being able to calibrate the monitor directly instead of doing a fixup in your OS can get better results. This is a feature for professional video/image editors; for the other 99.9% of the population it's useless. And since both models are factory calibrated the out of the box experience will be similar.

For a general consumer: against the 2016's potentially more even backlighting, the 2019 is brighter, has higher contrast, uses less power, has faster response times, is significantly lighter, and has a direct USB-C input (useful with some newer laptops since you won't need a dongle). Unless you're doing computer artwork of some sort, you almost certainly want the newer model.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...onitor-with-premiercolor-up3216q/apd/210-afln
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-4k-usb-c-monitor-u3219q/apd/210-aqzz/

WOW, thank you so much for your help. you sound like a computer tech Genius. i also bought Dell desktop computer because nobody makes desktops anymore but i Hate dell as a company due to their Worst Tech support in history of computer. Is there people or shops that build Desk top computers for you if you give them the specs ??

WOW, thank you so much for your help. you sound like a computer tech Genius. i also bought Dell desktop computer because nobody makes desktops anymore but i Hate dell as a company due to their Worst Tech support in history of computer. Is there people or shops that build Desk top computers for you if you give them the specs ??

I build my own desktops. IF you want to avoid big OEM shenanigans while having someone else do the work for you, I'd suggest looking at boutique builder companies that use the same parts as DIYers do. I can't endorse any specific brand though since I don't patronize them.

I build my own desktops. IF you want to avoid big OEM shenanigans while having someone else do the work for you, I'd suggest looking at boutique builder companies that use the same parts as DIYers do. I can't endorse any specific brand though since I don't patronize them.
does Microcenter have good support ? they seem to have nice selection of PC's desktops you can buy .

does Microcenter have good support ? they seem to have nice selection of PC's desktops you can buy .
[H] forum people are 99% DIY builders so its going to be hard getting those kind of suggestions here as Dan pointed out. The only exception would be mobile/laptop's as very few of us build there own laptops

Last edited:
[H] forum people are 99% DIY builders so its going to be hard getting those kind of suggestions here as Dan pointed out. The only exception would be mobile/laptop's as very few of us build there own laptops
can you guys build me something for around $1500. i have to assume i will get far better computer than what Dell offers for the same amount of money ?? it doesn't look like i am getting that much for this amount of money.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...-edition/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop/xdvsetcr003s

can you guys build me something for around $1500. i have to assume i will get far better computer than what Dell offers for the same amount of money ?? it doesn't look like i am getting that much for this amount of money.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...-edition/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop/xdvsetcr003s
There is no such thing as the perfect build, since no matter how good of parts we pick and use, there will still be occasional failures. Mater of fact most of us build our own cause we just love doing this as a pro level hobby. It can take a matter of time to learn this hobby, and for first timers its is maybe better to buy one rebuilt. The typical profit margin for building new pcs is so tight USUALLY, that make the hole enterprise not really enough to keep a business afloat. When i build my own its not so much to save money, cause im really picky about what hardware i use in my builds. People are posting new builds here all the time that cost 10X anything dell sells. (for one they dont even build such bad ass builds)

Hand picking a new case, power supply, ram, video card, sound card, storage devices, motherboards, cpu and cpu coolers and then putting it all together can be a lot of fun. It can be a huge ordeal just deciding on AMD or Intel based build? Its part of the fun

I would use PCPartPicker and find a completed build with a combination of parts that is close to what you want, at the price you want with positive comments from the community and use that as a starting point.

The big difference between a Dell PC and a DIY enthusiast PC will be in the motherboard, power supply, cooling, case and RAM. CPU and GPU are what they are. In that sense there may not be as big a price gap between a Dell i7 9900K PC with a RTX 2060 super and a DIY build in price (or the DIY will be 'more expensive'), it's just the DIY PC will have better parts all around and more features/capabilities that the average consumer may not care about.
Mobo and PSU in particular will be much, much more expensive (comparatively) in the DIY most likely than the ones in the Dell. OEMs tend to pick the cheapest builds for mobo and PSU (and the dell parts will be proprietary, very often) that meets the requirements and the average consumer will not perceive a better motherboard to be a reason to pick on PC over another unless there's a concrete feature they need missing. Only 1 PCIe expansion slot? They wouldnt be considering that when buying it. No overclocking in the BIOS? They don't care. Enthusiasts care about these things.

Also what do you think about this 43 inch moniter from Dell ? It is also 4K. if i want something bigger, is this a good option do you think ? Price is virutually same as 32 inch model which is very strange ??

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...20q/apd/210-avke/monitors-monitor-accessories

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/3fe311bb14

I am a bit worried about the Pyxil density of the 43 inch moniter however. 103 vs 140 PPI for 32 inch. I sit about 12 inches from the moniter to work and this maybe too close to the 43 inch moniter. ???

it now looks like the 2016 model is double the price of 2019 model. lol. not sure why Dell continues to price the older model so high ?? Ability to calibrate colors right off the screen tech so much more expensive ?

Last edited:
It’s probably tied to the source pricing of the panel and hardware. Premier color displays are targeted at people who need to be able to calibrate their displays and have and adjustable LUT, and, I expect these are grade A panels (“binned” for uniformity and defects), even if the tech is from 2016.
Improvements in off the line automated calibration and cheaper IPS commodity panels probably means that the value of such a display has shrunk particularly to non-creative professionals, but they’re probably still selling to businesses and professionals who want that kind of functionality.

It’s probably tied to the source pricing of the panel and hardware. Premier color displays are targeted at people who need to be able to calibrate their displays and have and adjustable LUT, and, I expect these are grade A panels (“binned” for uniformity and defects), even if the tech is from 2016.
Improvements in off the line automated calibration and cheaper IPS commodity panels probably means that the value of such a display has shrunk particularly to non-creative professionals, but they’re probably still selling to businesses and professionals who want that kind of functionality.
so me just buying for movie watching and game playing would be crazy to buy the 2016 model and pay Double the price, right ?

so me just buying for movie watching and game playing would be crazy to buy the 2016 model and pay Double the price, right ?
Based on your question and the way you are wording it, for you I would guess.. yes?
By the way game playing may be OK but not be the very best on these monitors- they do not have response times and refresh rates comparable to good gaming monitors for fast games and multiplayer/ competitive (i.e. pvp) games. Movies should be good. These are really primarily focused on desktop productivity.

Based on your question and the way you are wording it, for you I would guess.. yes?
By the way game playing may be OK but not be the very best on these monitors- they do not have response times and refresh rates comparable to good gaming monitors for fast games and multiplayer/ competitive (i.e. pvp) games. Movies should be good. These are really primarily focused on desktop productivity.

What in your opinion is the Best moniter for watching 4K movies and also for game playing ? Thank you

just bought Dell U3219Q moniter. Poor expeirience with dell customer service again, but hope nothing goes wrong and i don't have to talk to them again.

Also what do you think about this 43 inch moniter from Dell ? It is also 4K. if i want something bigger, is this a good option do you think ? Price is virutually same as 32 inch model which is very strange ??

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...20q/apd/210-avke/monitors-monitor-accessories

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/3fe311bb14

I am a bit worried about the Pyxil density of the 43 inch moniter however. 103 vs 140 PPI for 32 inch. I sit about 12 inches from the moniter to work and this maybe too close to the 43 inch moniter. ???

it now looks like the 2016 model is double the price of 2019 model. lol. not sure why Dell continues to price the older model so high ?? Ability to calibrate colors right off the screen tech so much more expensive ?

To the people the 2016 model is aimed at it's absolutely worth the premium. To them the 2016 model is a cheap knockoff of NEC/EZIO monitors that are several times as expensive. The 2019 model, or any other model the average person here looks at is complete garbage for what they do.

The BOM is certainly higher; but the fact that Dell probably sells 30 or 100 times as many mass market 2019 models compared to the pro grade 2016 one, and is able to spread the R&D costs around a lot wider as a result probably has more to do with it.

To the people the 2016 model is aimed at it's absolutely worth the premium. To them the 2016 model is a cheap knockoff of NEC/EZIO monitors that are several times as expensive. The 2019 model, or any other model the average person here looks at is complete garbage for what they do.

2019 model is garbage ?? i am confused. Should i return my purchased Dell moniter for Refund ?

Last edited:
2019 model is garbage ?? i am confused. Should i return my purchased Dell moniter for Refund ?

It's garbage if you're a graphics professional for whom the 2016 model is a cheap alternative to a $4000+ display from NEC or Ezio.

No it isnt garbage. If you are asking these types of questions it certainly wont be garbage for your usecase. You see the reviews? 5 stars out of 55 reviewers.

I owned a Dell 3014, which was a similar offering, and it is still one of the best monitors I’ve ever seen, and I’ve worked in corporate IT for almost 20 years and been an “enthusaist” for 30 years.

You basically just got a Ferrari enthusiast’s opinion about a Corvette ZR-1.

These particular Dell monitors aren’t “gaming” monitors, they are nice corporate workstation monitors where color accuracy is the main driver. They have nice warranties, pixel perfect guarantees, and for someone asking the types of questions you are asking it is a good, albeit expensive, choice. They will game just fine for you. There are better choices for strictly gaming, and there are better choices for strictly photography work, but you have a good overall monitor.

As for prebuilt Dell vs DIY. DIY is at cheapest, the same price as a prebuilt, not including labor. Oftentimes more expensive. There is almost no markup on PC hardware, and coorporate builders like Dell get wholesale discounts on > 1000 lot part purchases that DIY builders can’t get. That mean DIY building is NOT cheaper. As others have said, DIY allows more options, but not better pricing.

Even the prebuilt companies have razor thin profit margins on what they build which is why there are so few of them left. Think how many huge prebuilt PC companies have shutdown over the last 20 years!!!

Now you have Dell, HP, and IBM(Aka Lenovo), and Acer. The other brands are much smaller entities.

With memorial day around the corner, there will be some nice PC prebuilt desktop sales. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net with a search for PC or desktop daily to keep an eye on options. The community there is pretty informed/deal savy and You can also bring your deal back here and ask questions. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at shopping boutique stores like Ibuypower or Cyberpower either. They use premium parts, and you get to select them. Almost like DIY. Their support isn’t rated great though. But those ratings should be taken with a grain of sale. -- For someone not knowledgeable about PCs, everything that goes wrong is the vendors’ fault and for those of us knowledgeable about PCs you can sure read a whole lot of ignorance in those boutique builder’s negative reviews. As an enthusiast I bought 4 PCs from CyberPower in 2017 because they were the only place you could pick up multiple video cards at pretty much normal prices by building a SLI or Crossfire based system. With the price of video cards during the mining boom it was almost as cheap to buy a whole system with two mining video cards than just two mining video cards - because demand was so high that there were none available and the used market was asking 3-4x's new cost for video cards. Anyway, out of four systems from CyberPower, that I bought, all were well built, and performed without issue. They were shipped and packaged very well, used good DIY parts that I was able to hand pick, and performed exactly as expected. They often have a 5% off coupon floating around (web search for it), and their System prices are sometimes even cheaper than DIY sale options. You can remove the operating system to save money (-$60) and just install Win10 yourself. There are people on this forum that sell Windows 10 keys for $15.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
https://www.ibuypower.com/

just remember this community has brand new Ferrari tastes and most people asking the types of questions you are asking are perfectly happy with a “brand new, repulsive” Mustang. ;)

Last edited:
That’s the hard part done - i’m sure you will like it.
i did get the U3219Q and i am bit disappointed. i can definitely see the 4K quality in movies but just overall doesn't seem like high quality screen video or pictures...

Back