What is the current fastest PCI-E card that powers only off the slot?

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
My cousin's 6670 card running in an HP desktop. His power supply does not have any extra molex or pci-e plugs so he is stuck with cards that powers only off the pci-express slot.

Anything faster than the HD 6670?

Thanks everyone!

Gtx 750 ti has already been spotted on store shelves. Wait a couple days and grab one. Way faster than a 7750.

Any chance he could replace the PSU? Something low end like a CX430 would open up a whole new world of GPU options for him, and they are only $20.

What does he have for a PSU? He could always buy a molex or PCI-e splitter and add a molex or PCI-e to PCI-e 6-pin adapter.

He has a crappy HP desktop, absolutely no room for an adapter. The PSU only has sata plugs and nothing else. I think we are going to wait for the release of the GTX 750 and grab one. Thank you everyone.

Yup, the GTX 750 Ti seems destined to take the thread title crown by a mile.

Reference versions of the GTX 750 Ti will probably have no extra power connector because its TDP is 60W; overclocked non-reference versions may have a 6-pin PCI power connector. The GTX 750 will have a TDP of 55W and will probably not have any power connectors.

You can split the SATA plug too. I just bought one off of Ebay for like $2 incl. shipping from Hong Kong.

Those PSUs usually have no overhead for decent GPUs AND they usually use a proprietary shape to prevent replacement with a standard ATX PSU.

Hopefully that 750 Ti lives up to everyone's expectations. Might make a solid GPU for steamboxes, too.

Those PSUs usually have no overhead for decent GPUs AND they usually use a proprietary shape to prevent replacement with a standard ATX PSU.

Hopefully that 750 Ti lives up to everyone's expectations. Might make a solid GPU for steamboxes, too.

I got the SATA splitter to put an HD4870 in an old C2D Dell, PSU was 305W if I remember correctly so it's not a given that the PSU is too weak. 300W is more than enough for a 65W CPU and 150W GPU.

Back