What is the current best gaming 24" LCD monitor?

I just pulled the trigger on the Asus VW246h from Amazon (if its got dead pixels then I can return it easily). Cost $215.. cant complain.

I figure its 'good enough' for now (I still have my two 22" CRT's as backup)... until some H-IPS or S-IPS tech gets faster, OLED comes out, etc... or maybe the 120hz and LED backlit will bring in some new blood. For now though, the 120's dont seem to give much if any benefit (2233RZ for example). The LED backlit displays are too new to know... XL2x70 series looks cool, but Im not going to wait forever.

I thought digital versus had in the input lag of the p2370 as being virtually none if you use their comparison page. I might get the VW246h as well.

I thought digital versus had in the input lag of the p2370 as being virtually none if you use their comparison page. I might get the VW246h as well.

I dont like basing opinion on opinion. I have yet to see a quantitative value given for the P2370 as far as input lag is concerned. If someone wants to send me one for testing, I could run the test myself against my CRT's. 'Virtually none' means different things to different people... it could be 1ms, or it could be 10ms... which is like night & day to me.

I dont like basing opinion on opinion. I have yet to see a quantitative value given for the P2370 as far as input lag is concerned. If someone wants to send me one for testing, I could run the test myself against my CRT's. 'Virtually none' means different things to different people... it could be 1ms, or it could be 10ms... which is like night & day to me.

look here they did test it.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=116&p1=1217&ma2=36&mo2=530&p2=5568&ph=12

Interesting... seems to be similar to the Samsung 2493hm. Why didnt I see that option in the scroll down menu?!?! Thanks! I wonder now... had I known... would I have purchased that one instead... hmmmm....

It seems that the Asus and Samsung should be very similar in most respects... although the Samsung costs more and doesnt have VESA mounts... although it is sexy lookin'. Hmm....

Oh well, good thing I purchased from Amazon!

Interesting... seems to be similar to the Samsung 2493hm. Why didnt I see that option in the scroll down menu?!?! Thanks! I wonder now... had I known... would I have purchased that one instead... hmmmm....

It seems that the Asus and Samsung should be very similar in most respects... although the Samsung costs more and doesnt have VESA mounts... although it is sexy lookin'. Hmm....

Oh well, good thing I purchased from Amazon!

One thing I like about the Samsung is how accurate the default colors are. They are actually even better than the Dell 2209wa but of course since the Samung is a TN the viewing angles will still be much worse. The Asus might turn out to be just as good or better though I think the Asus tns are meant to have no input lag at all.

According to that last link, as well as the reviews, the Asus scores indicate no imput lag, while the best of the Samsungs, although great, still do have a small bit. So I think overall I made the right choice here. Now I just have to cross my fingers that I dont have any dead pixels, but other than that, I would place a higher value on the lag than color accuracy... if I wanted color accuracy, I wouldn't be looking at a TN panel in the first place. I have a few Samsung LCD TV's around the house for all that stuff if I want... including the LN46B750U1FXZA and an older 40" model that was top of the line.

According to that last link, as well as the reviews, the Asus scores indicate no imput lag, while the best of the Samsungs, although great, still do have a small bit. So I think overall I made the right choice here. Now I just have to cross my fingers that I dont have any dead pixels, but other than that, I would place a higher value on the lag than color accuracy... if I wanted color accuracy, I wouldn't be looking at a TN panel in the first place. I have a few Samsung LCD TV's around the house for all that stuff if I want... including the LN46B750U1FXZA and an older 40" model that was top of the line.

when is yours arriving? I need to get a new display within the next few days so would like to hear some feedback once you tried it out.

Yes, I am also in the market for a new monitor so please let us know how yours turns out.

I was at Best Buy tonight and looked at the P2370. Although stylish and surprisingly thin I wasn't that impressed with the picture but it is hard to tell the way they have things setup in store. What did impress me though was a 23 inch Asus they had featured with an Asus tower. I think it was this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9367954&type=product&id=1218092959440

It has a higher response time than the ones we are ordering online but the quality seemed really good for the price.

^ Yeah, I saw that Asus at best buy and was tempted to try it out. It's a good price too, but I'll know in the back of my mind that it's a TN panel :-(

Dell 2407WFP. I own it and I used to frequently play BF2, TF2, etc, etc (hundreds of hours) without any issues.

Don't want to get too off-topic, but I currently own a 2407 (and a CRT). While the 2407 is not bad, and certainly, someone with better FPS skills should have no difficulty beating a lower skilled opponent on a faster screen in most situations, it doesn't change the fact that the faster screen is still an improvement. JMHO.

You can't really appreciate the difference in the absence of a faster screen to make comparisons to.

I'm looking for a replacement 24"-32" screen myself for my gaming rig (will still keep my 22" CRT). The U2410 is a definite candidate, as it is an IPS screen (with pivot capabilities), can do low lag and proper sRGB (but not at the same time).

Ideally I'd like to add discrete 120hz input (not to be confused with 120hz interpolation that current TVs have) but I guess that's not yet available from a large IPS screen. I'm expecting a lot of announcements at CEDIA in conjunction with the 3D Blu-ray spec, which will require discrete 120hz input - great for gamers.

My Asus VW246H came in a few days ago and I have to say that overall I am very pleased. The picture is amazing with really deep blacks and crisp whites. I have been playing TF2 and Left 4 Dead and there is absolutely no ghosting or input lag. I have zero dead / stuck pixels. The stand is pretty much crap as the only adjustments is tilt forward or back but luckily it sits at the perfect height for my desk so its not an issue for me. There is slight backlight bleed along the top but it is not that noticeable. I got it for around $220 and I'm soon going to be buying a new graphics card to go along with it (I have a geforce 7950gt currently). I'll try to post some pics in the next few days.

What is the advantage of getting a 24 inch 16:9 screen over a 23? They both have the same resolution isn't the 24 a bit more stretched out? I think 24 might be a bit big for me anyway.

Asus VW246H or VW266H

Get one from amazon so you can easily return it if you aren't happy or would like to exchange it for a new one.

I don't want to thread hijack but I'm also looking for a 1920xXXXX lcd 24" or bigger. All my research leads to the screens mentioned above.

Wondering if 25.5" would be a little big. There's also no reviews on input lag anywhere for the VW266H. From what I can find, not all Asus lcds are created equal, but my guess is that these two are coming out at the same time.

Input lag tests are out there, but I don't care to find them right now. I think they amounted to less than a frame so around 16ms.

Dang :eek: That is a sweet monitor for the price of $219ea. . For triple screen Eyefinity gaming total price of $657, way cheaper than three 24". Someone needs to buy this and tell us the truth.

Uh, same price as the 24's... just like what I just got...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049&cm_re=vw246h-_-24-236-049-_-Product

I got the bugger in the mail today. I count about 6 pixels that are bad... but not very obvious (not bright white on a black background). If you arent looking for them, you dont see them... so I dont think Im going to worry unless I see more pop up.

The colors are crap...lol... knew that going in since its a TN. The CRT wins big time.

Compared to my CRT so far:
The response with that little red racing car (need more socks) that zooms across the screen isnt as good as the CRT... there is some definite motion blur on the LCD while the CRT has none.

The input lag seems okay otherwise. Anyone know where I can get a copy of that SMTT?
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testsoftware/smtt.html

The sharpness is better with the LCD than the CRT... a pixel is a pixel with the LCD.

Brightness and contrast is great on the LCD. Im sure my CRT isnt what it used to be... I realize that even more when I fired up the LCD next to the CRT.

I like text and internet better on the LCD (other than pictures). Games... not so sure yet.

The LCD is good... but it still isnt anywhere as good as the CRT. If the other TFT types are even slower than the TN... then I am afraid LCD's wont replace CRTs any time soon. I wonder... are there any plasma based monitors? Lol.

I meant 24" as in 1920x1200res, that's what most 24's have been over the years.

The LCD is good... but it still isnt anywhere as good as the CRT. If the other TFT types are even slower than the TN... then I am afraid LCD's wont replace CRTs any time soon. I wonder... are there any plasma based monitors? Lol.

Sucks you got one with bad pixels. I'd probably exchange it if I were you but things like that bug me too much probably. The colors on most lcds probably even some of the non tns are gonna look like crap right next to a crt. Once you get used to them and perhaps make some adjustments they'll probably be okay.

I take that back... I dont think I have any bad pixels. You know how if you sneeze on a screen it causes little prism distortions on the glass? Well... it was like that. The pixels were not 'dead' or 'stuck'... I have an older Samsung 172x that has a pixel that is stuck on red right in the center... very obvious. These were less obvious. After cleaning the surface of the LCD with a cloth yesterday, the pixels in question are fine. I dont know what their deal was... some sort of semi-transparent milli-scale material left on my screen I suppose. This screen is semi-gloss/satin... not shiny like some, and not flat. Somehow the smallest little fleck of dirt causes enough distortion to disrupt the pixel's look.

But just to recap: I have 0 dead pixels. As you move your head from side to side, there is something with this screen though that just makes it look like there are some from time to time.

I did some gaming last night. I figure that the colors suck, but Team Fortress 2 shouldnt matter...lol. I played it on the CRT and LCD... flipping back and forth. Now, I went into this hoping that LCD's might have progressed to the point where I could actually use this one to replace my CRT's, not just replace my Sammy 245B. Well, its a great replacement for my 245B, but not CRT-worthy (and if its not, thank god I didnt go for a more expensive one with even worse response). The lag is nil.fine. But the pixel response/blur is enough to disrupt my gameplay.

In FPS's, with my 10ms pings to Chicago servers and a CRT, I am quite the snap-shooter. With a sniper rifle I can follow motion very well, well enough to even use a scoped weapon up close. So I started up TF2 and got on one of the orange-X maps as a sniper. The VW246h is good, but I cant track motion and moving targets as well for constant headshots. Usually, I can rack up a couple hundred kills in a half hour on that map as a sniper... picking off heads right as the opponents come out of their base. Last night... not as well. I was using my judgement to place shots, and it was sloppy. All a scout had to do was 'stutter' back and forth so I couldnt 'estimate' where to place the shot w/o constant tracking. I usually have no problems with this with the CRT... and sure enough, I flipped back to the CRT for a bit and racked up kills much faster.

Then I tried CoD4 (IMO a better test then WaW because of weapon accuracy with the sniping and the G3/red dot). Same thing. If an opponent was still, I could pick em off no problem. If they were running, it was much harder than normal. With the .50 cal on the 'overgrown' map, I couldnt hit crap on the LCD (as you know, its a powerful, yet touchy rifle to fire). On the CRT, no problems. Then I was on 'block' with my favorite weapon of all... the G3 (silencer or red dot always). Up close was no problem, but the G3 is such an accurate and intuitive weapon even at long distance that the red dot isnt really even needed... well... anything moving was much harder to track and shoot.

Now, Im not normally a camper style sniper (Im more of a snap-shot constantly darting from behind one piece of cover to the next... shooting while moving), but using an LCD, I can see where I might develop those 'Bad' habbits. Maybe LCD's are to blame for camping? With the G3, I tend to use UAV jammer and dead silence to sneak around and flank the other team... with a G3 and silencer, you can start picking them off from behind and they dont even know whats going on... you arent sending as many bullets to notice like a full auto, you are far enough away due to the G3's accuracy, the G3 is powerful and accurate that it only takes a couple well placed shots to kill someone and move on to the next target in less time than with full auto spraying, and you are very silent thanks to the silencer. This still worked, but I am such a snap-shot that when I turn a corner and get the drop on someone who didnt think anyone was there, I can pick them off with 1-2 headshots before they draw a bead on me, or start bunny-hopping/dolphin-diving/etc... not so with the LCD. The 'blur' made me miss several shots... taking 3-5 shots to do what 1-2 usually does.

So while this is an awesome LCD for gaming... its nothing close to the speed and accuracy that a CRT gives you. Even with the better sharpness of the LCD, as soon as motion comes into play and accuracy is still important... Ill be ownin' you with my CRT.

Now for other classes on TF2, there was no problem. As a heavy, accuracy and speed isnt so much an issue, and if there were any problems, I couldnt tell. On CoD4, if I used a SMG or other full auto weapon, the rate of fire compensates very well.

So yes, we could blame LCD's for all the dolphin-diving, bunny-hopping, and uber-campin' snipin' out there. I wanted to do those same things more with an LCD than with the CRT.

Last edited:
oh yeah that happened to me once before as well with the pixels. sometimes even little peices of dust can look like a dead one.

I ordered the Asus VW266H (25.5" 1920x1200 panel) and it gets here Friday. I think my 5870 gets here Friday or Monday.

We'll see how good it is. I hope the input lag is near the 24". Decided on the 25.5" over the 24 due to the 1920x1200 resolution. If I ever do fire up an old game that doesn't support widescreen I'd like to have 1600x1200 as a possibility.

I ordered the Asus VW266H (25.5" 1920x1200 panel) and it gets here Friday. I think my 5870 gets here Friday or Monday.

We'll see how good it is. I hope the input lag is near the 24". Decided on the 25.5" over the 24 due to the 1920x1200 resolution. If I ever do fire up an old game that doesn't support widescreen I'd like to have 1600x1200 as a possibility.

Just got mine today......you should/will be happy....Go Asus!

Dell S2409W. Gaming requires almost negligible input lag and that's where TN panels kick in. So that should be your first isolating criteria for a gaming LCD monitor.The response time is 5ms (grey to grey). Has HDMI, VGA and DVI-D inputs. Native reso of 1920x1080 so you won't miss all that HD eyecandy be it movies or games.

I've been using this monitor for close to a year now. It has no tilt, the viewing angles are decent but it's not the best monitor at color reproduction. If you're into professional image editing, the color reproduction won't be so sharp. This is the trade-off and if you're looking for anything related to major pro image editing, this one's not for you.

The monitor does not have any USB ports however it does have audio and mic ports. I don't recommend channeling your sound through the monitor over HDMI because it breaks the sound a lot. Given that you have an X-fi already shows that you won't quite be missing anything :)

I regularly play COD4, Crysis, QuakeLive and several other games regularly and I'm on a GTX 260 core 216.

If you want exclusive pics of the monitor or even want me to shoot any specific video of the monitor, I'll do it for you but you'll have to wait for 4 hours coz I'm at work right now.

I really like my ASUS 25.5 monitor. To be honest I don't really notice all these flaws associated with the TN monitors but I have noticed the very fast speed of it in some games. Action looks clearer and sharper.

Its probably because I use it as a monitor not as a TV so I look straight at it.

Pete

People who often complain about viewing angles are the real lazy bums :p

I really like my ASUS 25.5 monitor. To be honest I don't really notice all these flaws associated with the TN monitors but I have noticed the very fast speed of it in some games. Action looks clearer and sharper.

Its probably because I use it as a monitor not as a TV so I look straight at it.

Pete

I wish it wasnt so, but I have the vw246h, which is supposed to be the best there is as far as response and input lag. The input lag is good, dont get me wrong, but the motion blur undermines it a good bit. If this is the best LCD's have to offer, then its still a far cry from a CRT. No wonder people think Im hacking when I snipe... Im using a CRT and can easily track headshots on moving targets that they could only get with luck.

Well, it's the #1 peoples choice on Newegg, for some reason? Let the "Newegg" anti-fanboy flaming begin! :)

Last edited:
anybody know if the Asus VK266H 25.5 inch will have black bars or would it be stretched for xbox360/ps3 games since it's 1920x1200
and any review on this monitor?? and how's the T240HD for console gaming??????????

Last edited:
Well, w/ my ATI 5870 card w/ the Asus, you can select several different modes, including stretching it, displaying 1:1, etc.

anybody know if the Asus VK266H 25.5 inch will have black bars or would it be stretched for xbox360/ps3 games since it's 1920x1200
and any review on this monitor?? and how's the T240HD for console gaming??????????

Yes, it' stretching the picture but i have not even noticed it. And the monitor is as far as i can say in my limited knowledge one hell of a bargain as i can say it's on par with my previous 24" M-PVA panel.

dell 2407wfp
+1 there. Got one...awesome panel.
If I remember correctly, Anandtech uses this particular one to compare the other to. BTW, 4 usb ports, memory card reader built in as well. Only thing I would want xtra...HDMI. Oh well, can't have everything.

Last edited:
2407wfp is a decent gaming monitor, 10000x better than any of dells more recent effots with PVA. As for me, my personal fav isn the LG 245wp P-MVA. Perfect contrast, deep blacks , colors and mininal input lag for gaming. Unfortunately hard to get too. My HP's LP247w are really good too, if you do not mind having to tone down colors manually at times. TN panels are only acceptable if money and ease of buying is all you care about. MVA and IPS monitors can easily match them in input lag.

TN panels are only acceptable if money and ease of buying is all you care about. MVA and IPS monitors can easily match them in input lag.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend for the privilege. At least for gaming, you can get a TN panel with low input for significantly less.

2407wfp is a decent gaming monitor, 10000x better than any of dells more recent effots with PVA. As for me, my personal fav isn the LG 245wp P-MVA. Perfect contrast, deep blacks , colors and mininal input lag for gaming. Unfortunately hard to get too. My HP's LP247w are really good too, if you do not mind having to tone down colors manually at times. TN panels are only acceptable if money and ease of buying is all you care about. MVA and IPS monitors can easily match them in input lag.

+1 there. Got one...awesome panel.
If I remember correctly, Anandtech uses this particular one to compare the other to. BTW, 4 usb ports, memory card reader built in as well. Only thing I would want xtra...HDMI. Oh well, can't have everything.

Considering the context of this thread, TN's are going to be superior unless you dont do any FPS/lan games/etc. Those monitors you are talking about there have some pretty significant input lags. Show me a MVA or IPS monitor that can hang with a CRT like some TN's can. That LG 245W has about a 20-24ms input lag, and the dell is even worse at an average of up to 34ms for the HC model, 27 for the other. If I could have found it, I would have got it. IMO, IPS and MVA monitors are only acceptible if you aren't a very competitive or skilled gamer and input lag doesnt mean anything to you because you cant notice a 20 or 40 ms lag. I could care less if the Japanese guys face is the right color or if the water is the right color blue if it means I die more often.

"Hey guys, look at this great IPS monitor I just got... the shadows are so much darker and the colors are so great, but I keep getting headshots all the time so I never get to see them anyways."...lol.

So Under, do you recommend any of these Asus models for a gamer on a budget ? I am looking to go Eyefinity but three 24" IPS monitors would set you back like $1500 at least, where three of these Asus would be half that easily, that is more my budget for three display no where near $1,000

Opnion wanted please

Back