What is the "Cloud?" and who invented it?

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
Just need an education here because 1. Don't know what the cloud is and 2. did Microsoft come up with the idea and if so how can Apple come up with the iCloud without getting slammed with a lawsuit.

Thanx in advance.

Cloud is just a buzzword for online services.

Basically, until the Apply fanboys start claiming Apple invented the cloud with the release of iCloud :D

But yeah in all seriousness, its just a buzzword for online services. Think Gmail and Google Docs. Photo sharing sites are another big "cloud" service.

Al Gore Invented the Could.. Just like he invented the Internet.

the idea of the cloud is older than the PC...

back in the day you had a mainframe running all your applications and a dumb terminal was your interface to the mainframe...

now its a server somewhere in a rack and your web browser

the idea of the cloud is older than the PC...

back in the day you had a mainframe running all your applications and a dumb terminal was your interface to the mainframe...

now its a server somewhere in a rack and your web browser

Which is puzzling why an age old idea/technology is seemingly all of a sudden the big wave of the "future" But then again, we "geeks" are surrounded by tech incompetent people across the globe as well.....

Which is puzzling why an age old idea/technology is seemingly all of a sudden the big wave of the "future"

Because its all about marketing and perception. The pendulum of client-centric to mainframe-centric has swung back and forth many times, and it will continue to do so.

The origination of the term were network diagrams, actually; The diagram would often focus on the internal infrastructure, with everything else being a cloud symbol.

Some marketing troll got a hold of this and had the idea to equate their online services with this cloud image, to symbolize the idea that it's a service you don't have to worry about in your infrastructure...ie, the infrastructure for the service is pushed off on to someone else.

That was the gensis of the term. Since then it has been bastardized in hundreds of new and interesting ways, with very few companies actually understanding what it means. I have been to hundreds of sales meetings about "Cloud this" and "Cloud that", and I have to resist the need to throw something large and heavy at the presenters every time. Novell has to be the worst, but there are a few backup organizations which abuse the term as well.

it's when they vent excess pressure from the series of tubes, it forms clouds.

The cloud is a great technology that prevents you from working because some server you've never heard of has crashed.

(paraphrased from Bjorn Starsroupp, creater of C++).

If you bring your laptop on a plane and work on a spreadsheet, are you cloud computing?

If you bring your laptop on a plane and work on a spreadsheet, are you cloud computing?

2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

You are computing amongst the clouds however you are not doing the type of cloud computing being referenced throughout the thread.

You are computing amongst the clouds however you are not doing the type of cloud computing being referenced throughout the thread.
Unless you use it to access Google apps or some other cloud service. Cloud computing, in the cloud. :D

I never understood how the 'cloud' can be popular with the future of metered billing and bandwidth caps.

I never understood how the 'cloud' can be popular with the future of metered billing and bandwidth caps.

There are some advantages to using a cloud service. If I have a seasonal business, and I know that business picks up around Thanksgiving/Christmas time each year, I don't need to buy more servers that will sit idle during the non-busy time.

Another advantage would be to a small business that lacks an expert on a given software product. My boss doesn't have time to setup and configure an internal Exchange, we have our email hosted outside.

Two different examples of how the cloud can work, and be some what popular.

Back