what is the cheapest ssd with dram

1627101142387.png

anand....

Cheapest SSD with DRAM, or best performing SSD for the least amount of money? Because they might be different things.

As an example, the Samsung 980 outperforms many SSDs equipped with DRAM.

There are a number of decent options available, many of which I've reviewed.

The WD SN550 1TB is a midrange PCIe 3.0 SSD from a performance standpoint and commonly goes on sale for $105 for the 1TB model, though right now it is $110. It happens to be DRAMless.

The Inland Premium 1TB drive is currently $120, and is among the top-end of PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD speeds. It's got a cache.

For $120 you can get a Samsung 980 1TB as well, though it's slightly slower it does come with the Samsung name and a 5 year warranty that the Inland drive lacks.

The PNY CS1030 1TB s a decent drive and is currently only $100. Avoid its more expensive cousin in the CS2130 though, it's a crappier drive.

I'm sure there are other options. If you're looking for a 1TB capacity drive, $100 is kind of your minimum price point. Your goal should be to get a drive with TLC NAND and avoid anything with QLC if you can. Everything past that is just details.

There are a number of decent options available, many of which I've reviewed.

The WD SN550 1TB is a midrange PCIe 3.0 SSD from a performance standpoint and commonly goes on sale for $105 for the 1TB model, though right now it is $110. It happens to be DRAMless.

The Inland Premium 1TB drive is currently $120, and is among the top-end of PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD speeds. It's got a cache.

For $120 you can get a Samsung 980 1TB as well, though it's slightly slower it does come with the Samsung name and a 5 year warranty that the Inland drive lacks.

The PNY CS1030 1TB s a decent drive and is currently only $100. Avoid its more expensive cousin in the CS2130 though, it's a crappier drive.

I'm sure there are other options. If you're looking for a 1TB capacity drive, $100 is kind of your minimum price point. Your goal should be to get a drive with TLC NAND and avoid anything with QLC if you can. Everything past that is just details.
im looking for a like as cheap as possible ssd (not m.2 since its an old system) so like around 240 gb since i already have a hard drive.

So you want a cheap SATA drive with DRAM cache? Why...?

If this is a boot drive, any platform thats LGA1155 or newer supports booting of NVMe (those old boards did need a quick BIOS tweak to make it work, I can help with that if you need), just get a PCIe -> NVMe adapter on ebay and use that. If this isnt a boot drive, you can just plug the m.2 drive into an adapter and the system will see it just like any other data drive.

So you want a cheap SATA drive with DRAM cache? Why...?

If this is a boot drive, any platform thats LGA1155 or newer supports booting of NVMe (those old boards did need a quick BIOS tweak to make it work, I can help with that if you need), just get a PCIe -> NVMe adapter on ebay and use that. If this isnt a boot drive, you can just plug the m.2 drive into an adapter and the system will see it just like any other data drive.
wait is it going to be the same speed as a m.2?

im looking for a like as cheap as possible ssd (not m.2 since its an old system) so like around 240 gb since i already have a hard drive.

You have mSATA or you have actual SATA ports? Nothing that is SATA will be as fast as an NVME/PCI-e drive, period.

Assuming it's the same spec (PCIe 3.0, 4.0, whatever the case may be) the speed will be the same over a PCIe slot as it would over m.2. It's the same signals, using a different connection.
This is not correct.
m.2 sata maxes out at SATA III speeds, about 600MB/sec.
m.2 PCI-e 4.0 x4 maxes out at about 8.0GB/sec (not that any drives will do over 3.xGB/sec now)
They are not signal compatible, and are not exchangeable.
They do have the same mechanical interface, but they are not equivalent in performance.

yeah, isnt m.2 just the connector type and the speed is determined by the controller its connected to? thats why there is m.2 ssd/sata and m.2 nvme or dual?
edit: and then dont they complicate it more with keying or have they stopped that?

Last edited:
This is not correct.
m.2 sata maxes out at SATA III speeds, about 600MB/sec.
m.2 PCI-e 4.0 x4 maxes out at about 8.0GB/sec (not that any drives will do over 3.xGB/sec now)
They are not signal compatible, and are not exchangeable.
They do have the same mechanical interface, but they are not equivalent in performance.
This is correct, totally forgot about SATA m.2

Op, do you want an old school sata drive?
ie not m2 or its derivatives

Lol, still dont know what to say? ;)
its a 3rd gen mobo (socket 1155)
so idk if i could make a m.2 work with pcie. i mean i would rather have the fastest for the best reasonable price.

its a 3rd gen mobo (socket 1155)
so idk if i could make a m.2 work with pcie. i mean i would rather have the fastest for the best reasonable price.
You need to answer M2 slot or Sata.
We cant guess.

Quoting your hardware would be useful.

Yes, you can get a PCIe M.2 adapter (assuming you have a free PCIe slot) and it will work basically as if the M.2 slot was on the motherboard.

However, in a lot of cases you might not see a huge difference over a SATA SSD depending on your workload. Yes, PCIe is technically faster, but there could be other bottlenecks, and a SATA SSD is already quite fast.

Especially if you want to save money, you might be okay with a traditional SSD.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Yes, you can get a PCIe M.2 adapter (assuming you have a free PCIe slot) and it will work basically as if the M.2 slot was on the motherboard.

However, in a lot of cases you might not see a huge difference over a SATA SSD depending on your workload. Yes, PCIe is technically faster, but there could be other bottlenecks, and a SATA SSD is already quite fast.

Especially if you want to save money, you might be okay with a traditional SSD.
alright thanks!

Back