What is the best way to connect a Dreamcast to a modern TV?

biggles

2[H]4U
My new TV has neither VGA nor s-video inputs. It has plenty of HDMI, a couple RCA inputs (yuck!), and a single component input currently in use for a Wii.

I do have a VGA box and S-video cables for the Dreamcast. So what is the best way to hook it up? Is there some sort of VGA to HDMI converter that would be effective?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Most A/V receivers made in the last 6-7 years will do it. Not necessarily the cheapest route, but it does make life easier if you have a mix of older consoles and newer. Everything outputs via a single HDMI-out and you can plug in everything from composite, to component, to VGA, to even DVI in some cases.
I bet you could find a Sony or Onkyo from the late 2000's for less than $50 on Craigslist.

Most A/V receivers made in the last 6-7 years will do it. Not necessarily the cheapest route, but it does make life easier if you have a mix of older consoles and newer. Everything outputs via a single HDMI-out and you can plug in everything from composite, to component, to VGA, to even DVI in some cases.
I bet you could find a Sony or Onkyo from the late 2000's for less than $50 on Craigslist.

Never seen a receiver that takes VGA signal.
Neither have others at AVS forum
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/908978-receiver-vga-input.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ll-accept-convert-vga-component-out-hdmi.html

You need to use a Dreamcast VGA box like the one I use to get the actual signal for better quality so then you go directly into a HDTV or CRT via VGA or convert that that to hdmi.

I had an Onkyo that came out right when the PS3 and 360 came out that took VGA. That's actually how I had my 360 hooked up for a long time.

Quick search shows that at least one Onkyo model from a few years ago, the TX-NR609, supports VGA in.

I'm also in the same boat as the OP, and found this combination to work quite well:

Tomee Dreamcast VGA cable
OREI VGA -> HDMI converter box

I had originally tried the Sewell Hammerhead VGA -> HDMI converter, and while it worked terrificly on a couple of laptops I tested it with, I could not get it to work nicely with either that Tomee cable above, or one of the original, licensed Performance-brand VGA box that I've owned for parts of 3 decades now.

Quick search shows that at least one Onkyo model from a few years ago, the TX-NR609, supports VGA in.

I'm also in the same boat as the OP, and found this combination to work quite well:

Tomee Dreamcast VGA cable
OREI VGA -> HDMI converter box

I had originally tried the Sewell Hammerhead VGA -> HDMI converter, and while it worked terrificly on a couple of laptops I tested it with, I could not get it to work nicely with either that Tomee cable above, or one of the original, licensed Performance-brand VGA box that I've owned for parts of 3 decades now.

That cable is shit I had one the VGA box is much better quality , I went that way first but it has issues with some titles and lower quality compared to the VGA box

Post 2 answered perfectly

The op has the VGA box he just need to get the VGA to hdmi converter I don't know why we are talking about receivers ?

Last edited:
Happy to see that someone still wanna play with a Dreamcast! I wish I could have one too when I was young XD

Thanks for posting those links. I've been meaning to get a VGA box for my Dreamcast, but up to this point really only went on eBay, to see what was available there.

I run my launch Dreamcast through a mysteriously brand less VGA-BOX to my ONKYO receiver, then to the TV through HDMI. Everything scales nicely to 1080p or I can set it to pass through to see it in its jaggy native form. Either way it's very clear and the colors are freaking great. Soul Calibur really looks damn near as good as the more recent fighting games. Too bad the DC didn't come with a dual analog controller and that Peter Moore ended support for the system in NA so he could land that sweet gig running Electronic Arts. Yeah I said it. Fuck that back stabbing ladder climbing bitch.

Are you against buying a separate monitor? If not, why not get a cheap crt tv at your local thrift store or look out at Craiglist. Get one pretty cheap (20 bucks) and use a S-video cable. You won't regret it but I warn you, it's a rabbit hole. Before you know it, you will be a retro junkie. Here's a link for some references

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/456719-best-crt-retro-games/

Yuck svideo. If you want a crt you could use the vga adapter i use with a computer crt.

Im going to build mine into and arcade style enclose with a computer crt and speakers.

VGA adapter --> an HDMI adapter with a sound input. I've got it and it works like a charm and looks great!

I was in the exact same situation as you and couldn't stand using s-video instead of VGA.

So instead I just use an emulator on my media center PC.

I can render all the games in 1080p so they look way better, and I use the xbox 360 wireless adapter so I can use 4 wireless 360 controllers. The only downside is not having a VMU screen in the controller.

Back