What is the best user friendly file transfer program?

DrunkenButterfly

Limp Gawd
Hello.

The problem:

Me and a few friends have been creating demo video's of card magic. We have been having problems sending these large files to each other via MSN Messenger. I find this program very unreliable, but my friends like it due to the simplicity of it. The transfers do not always complete and pisses me off because I have to waste more time and bandwidth to send it again. The video sizes have been quite large. We are not interested in changing the size of the files.

I want to know if there is an easy to learn file transfer program that supports auto-resume that I could recommend to my buddies to try. I tried to convince them on using an FTP client, but they didn't like it. The solution must have auto-resume in case the transfer fails.

Thanks for reading.

Depends on how technically able you are ( or someone is ). You could setup a bittorrent site on your local system, then just send them the html link for it through the chat system. Once they have a bittorrent client installed, it'd be as simple as sending through the chat client, but with the normal benefits of bittorrent.

Hi XOR and thanks for the reply!

I've given that some thought before but the setup would take too long in some cases. We have hundreds of videos scattered across multiple machines over great distances. Unfortuantely, they do not have the technical skills to set something like this up.

The more I think about this, I'll have to keep trying to convince them to use an FTP again. They hated it the first time because it was such a hassle for them to send something. One guy has 3 firewalls and router and knows almost nothing about how they work! I think I need new friends!

Anyways, I guess I'll have to try and convince them to get an FTP client again. What's a nice user friendly freeware FTP client these days? :)

omega-x said:
filezilla

I second this motion.

Filezilla is the best FTP program I have come across and it is open-source (GPL).

You can save the connection info so all they have to do is select the connection and they will have access to your files. It supports resume too.

Yeah, that hundreds of videos would be a problem initially. However, it would only take one of you to setup the torrent, everyone else would just have to be able to click on a link.

Anyway, something to think about. There is a certain barrier of entry for this kind of stuff, and as I tell people at work, if you aren't interested in learning the basics then you aren't going to be able to do your job.

You could also try waste, but with the encryption their may be too much over head

In my opinion...web based file sharing is the easiest. Don't even have to bother with setting up FTP....and where to host the FTP server. As since these are located on servers on fat bandwidth out on the internet...they perform neutrally well for all users.

And they're wonderfully easy to use. There are some paid for ones such as XDrive.com and Whalemail.com (which are quite cheap actually)...to some free ones like Microsofts Bete https://www.foldershare.com/

Or another alternative....someone with a GMail account....get the free Gmail Drive plugin...and all share that account. It's seen as a mapped drive in My Computer.

Back