what is the best overclocking motherboard and processor for 939

umbra

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys I just got my summer job so it's time for me to plan my yearly rebuild.I use a pretty intense watercooling system so cooling shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking about getting a venice 3000+ and ocing like crazy. just wondering which board would be best to use to oc this cpu with.

i'd personally go with a 3200+ venice and dfi nf4 ultra-d, unless you need agp... then the dfi nf3 ultra-d :p

I'm sticking with agp for now yeah oh and I already have pc4400 so a really high fsb limit would be good

best o/cing cpu is hands down FX55 or the forthcoming FX57 :D For those on budget, 3000 is just fine too :)

when I say I got a summer job it's bussing so lets keep the cost of the cpu under $400 max please. Stop waving big paychecks in front of me I'm still in high school I can only work so much!!!!!! that said a venice 3200 with a dfi would be good correct anyone else have any boards they would like to suggest?

umbra said:
that said a venice 3200 with a dfi would be good correct anyone else have any boards they would like to suggest?
if you're overclocking, you can't go wrong with the DFI ;)

I would get a 3200+ Venice and a DFI NF4 Ultra-D. I would suggest you sell whatever AGP card you have and buy a new PCI-E card or your just going to have to buy a new motherboard to upgrade your video card later on if you want something new because nVidia has already announced there most likely will not be any more high-end AGP cards and i'm sure ATI will soon follow. AGP is a dieing spec and its going bye bye.

yeah, a 3000+ or a 3200+, probably the 3200+ because it has a friendlier multiplier. The mobo should be either a dfi nf4 ut, or a nf4, both mod to native SLI with a pencil trick, and the nf4 mods to sata2 (the others already have it) as well.

BTW, how long have you been pumping 1.95 volts through your hammer? Is it still overclocking the same as when you got it? Does it really need that much juice to hit those clocks?

mikelz85 said:
BTW, how long have you been pumping 1.95 volts through your hammer? Is it still overclocking the same as when you got it? Does it really need that much juice to hit those clocks?

Yea thats WAY too much voltage to be using on watercooling. Watercooling isn't that much better then aircooling when it comes to the amount of voltage you can safely use. Even if the temps are ok the voltage will still kill it. Why in the world would you push 1.95V through it for a measly 2475Mhz?

I was just excited at finally finding someone running a ton of vcore through their A64. Maybe we can convince him to run p95 for a few days and see how long it takes to die. :D

I have black ice 120 radiator and a 2fresh 2x120mm rad and a via aqua 3600 that pumps 1057 gallons at 1 foot and mine's a little over that also 1.95 was a typo I have it at 1.85 idles around 35 load at 45 sorry to disappoint

well what kind of cooling are you using I also have a dual 5.25 res

umbra said:
well what kind of cooling are you using I also have a dual 5.25 res

An XP90C. The temps weren't an issue, the CPU just couldn't take the voltage. Though, the board might have been giving it uneven current.

I had a 120mm blowing on the capacitors to keep the voltages steady so that could be it :D also I think the ram slots were iffy. i had like 8 or 9 sticks that it just didn't like so i had to rma them. some were a little better but nothing really solved the ram problem with that board

Back