What is the best looking website that you have recently been to? (IYO)

dvsman

2[H]4U
IYO (In Your Opinion) - I am curious what website people on [H] consider "good looking." Have you come across a website that just popped or was just very functional or well organized?

The topic doesn't matter. Tech, photography, news - this is more of an aesthetics questions than content-related.

Also any thoughts on what direction you think web-design moving to? For one, I see some websites have embraced mobile and really cut down / dumbed down their interfaces to just a few buttons / icons. Not my favorite trend but I use a Note 8 for a phone (YUUUUGE + a pen), so I don't really like using mobilified websites.

I've had a parked domain name for a while and am thinking of trying my hand at web design (for practice tho) but I'm trying to get out of my own headspace and see what other people are thinking Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TIA!

Last edited:
I am expecting more unique, and repeated, ways to force folks to be added to their email list with an expansive popup.

josh.ai

I recommend checking out Grav for web design. It's really easy to work with. Still allows you to get your hands dirty with html and css. You will probably get recommendations to checkout WordPress too. I recommend staying away from it, unless you specifically need it for some reason (hint: you don't!). Of course, you could follow along at W3 or something similar and code a site from scratch. It's all really easy stuff once you dive in. Pretty cool when you make everything work how you want to. :)

PS. A buddy of mine who is a developer would kill me if I didn't mention laravel. He's really invested in it in terms of time and experience. It's really nice!

Any website that does not have:

- Animated or moving objects that i click on
- Uses dark gray text on light grey backgrounds.
- Tons of varying font size and faces

- split username/password over 2 pages
- limits password to 16 characters
- forced ppl to use weird arbitrary password rues instead of just going with the 3 out 4 rules on capital,lowercase,number,special)

Thanks FNtastic - josh.ai is definitely very cool looking site. I'll take a look at Grav and Laravel as well (never heard of either).

I'm chugging along on some HTML, PHP and Wordpress skills but as you said Wordpress has been meh - easy to use as long as you like what Wordpress thinks you should like.

Skillz - I'm asking about aesthetics, not content :-D

SvenBent - Duly noted! Those will go on the Things Not To Do list.

This is not really about he graphical designg but just another bad ocdness

Make sure the title of all possibel pages comtaing the name of the site.
I've seen some sites use the titlte " log-in" on the login page. meaning programs like keepass cant figure out what the site is to locate the right username/password.
same for humans if you are on multipel login page cant quickly see where the tab belongs to.

josh.ai

I recommend checking out Grav for web design. It's really easy to work with. Still allows you to get your hands dirty with html and css. You will probably get recommendations to checkout WordPress too. I recommend staying away from it, unless you specifically need it for some reason (hint: you don't!). Of course, you could follow along at W3 or something similar and code a site from scratch. It's all really easy stuff once you dive in. Pretty cool when you make everything work how you want to. :)

PS. A buddy of mine who is a developer would kill me if I didn't mention laravel. He's really invested in it in terms of time and experience. It's really nice!

I think he was asking about aesthetics. But for completion sake, I agree. WordPress is old code that has been hacked and slashed, it's a dated system. Great for beginners to get in and get up because of the expanse of plugins available, but won't win any performance awards without serious tweaking. Their database architecting leaves you scratching your head sometimes.

Laravel is probably the best PHP framework going right now. Excellent references and educational material and backed by talented developers.

GRAV is probably the best (with improvements coming in the next version) "flat file" fast almost-static page manager. It's still newer, so some of the UI choices are a tad quirky.

For raw performance, custom built static compiled sites will perform the best. But it's like making a race car out of an existing car or building the car from scratch. The latter is purpose built, so of course it'll be better.

Offtopic (a bit), but I'd just like to see a more or less self contained website that isn't a conglomeration of 50 sites and tons of javascript pulled from all over.

Back