What is the best laptop you've ever seen?

Dell Precision M4600 and M6600.

They are kinda hefty, but I like the looks and performance of them.

Once they come out with a new model that has the HD7970 equivalant Firepro card, it will be an even better system.

I would go with the plain old Sagers ! How many laptop do you know have a Desktop i7 2960x ?

my favorite for feel was the 14" T4x SXGA+ Thinkpad. It was thin, light (unless you had the 9 cell), felt like a tank.

but, my vote has to go for the EliteBook 8560W w/ DreamColor 2 IPS screen that I've been rocking for the past 6 months. Handles anything I throw at it, feels more tanklike (and weighs about as much) than the T43, almost as if it's overbuilt. But, in a good way. The screen puts even my U2410 to shame.

Sony Vaio SA caught my eye. Good look plus the hardware in it.

I've read that the fan gets incredibly loud. True? What about during normal use. I'm thinking of buying one as I have need of a laptop soon and can't really wait on the next generation.

I've read that the fan gets incredibly loud. True? What about during normal use. I'm thinking of buying one as I have need of a laptop soon and can't really wait on the next generation.

Not as bad as the m11x R2 (speaking from direct experience). Idle, however, the fan is always humming along :(

After the bios fix, its much, much better now. It'll only get loud on the 6630m while playing games. Other then that, it's pretty quiet during normal use. ie, YouTube, web browsing.

After the bios fix, its much, much better now. It'll only get loud on the 6630m while playing games. Other then that, it's pretty quiet during normal use. ie, YouTube, web browsing.

So you're happy with that laptop? Really seems like the best all around option for a little of everything.

So you're happy with that laptop? Really seems like the best all around option for a little of everything.

Really happy with mine, though I knew what the downsides were to begin with and they were not a big deal for me. They might be for other people I guess.

First, be prepared to spend a bit of time and money on it, because as many reviews have pointed out, the out-of-the-box experience is awful, with a mountain of bloatware strapped to a terribly slow HDD. However I'd imagine most people getting one would be putting an SSD in it and doing a fresh install anyway.

Secondly, the speakers are crap (really, really bad even for laptop speakers) and the screen is low contrast with poor viewing angles (though good resolution and matte). Not a problem if you use external speakers/headphones and can put up with the screen.

Pretty impressed with the Dell Latitude ATG. I accidentally dropped a really heavy MSCE book onto the lid of one from about 6 feet up and only made a small dent in the case, nothing else!

As far as raw mobile power, I really like the Asus G-series laptops.

I am. I use it more frequently then my desktop now. But as others have mentioned, this laptop comes in great deal of bloatware. If you have a spare SSD laying around, pop it in. If not, I recommend re-installing windows. Also, speakers are crap. But it doesn't bother me since I'm on headphones 98% of the time. Contrast ratio is so-so, but the resolution makes up for it. 1600x900 on a 13' screen.

Last edited:
Currently I'm in love with my Asus Zenbook. However this affair is too short for the "forever" so based on other data I would say one of the solid IBM Thinkbooks with a fast processor. Those things were built to last forever, we still have some around at work that are very very old and still run.

Best laptop I've seen and used is the MBP 15 Late 2011.

Best laptop I've owned and used is my L502x in sig. Ironically, I really, really dislike Dell.

thinkpads man......thinkpads.

Thinkpads. Mmmmmmm. I love them so much. So very much.

I've supported a govvie group which used a ton of the E6410s and E6420s as well. I have to say... I find them to be fantastic machines, but the users will find hilarious ways to break ANYTHING. Really, I've seen a laptop come in with the keyboard bashed in after the user claimed he dropped his soup bowl on it (then why does it smell like beer?), I've seen push updates from NMCI break hundreds of computers at one shot, I've seen laptops come back after people's kids have been allowed to play on them. My verdict on those latitudes? Great laptops marred by terrible users.

I've actually got an E6400 I'm trying to rescue. The body itself has a tiny dent in the right speaker grille, but the LCD is completely trashed. Fortunately, it looks like replacing the display will be as easy as buying a whole new assembly and bolting it up. Gotta love business class design. I love the way the Keyboard feels, and having an eraserhead pointer is only a plus for me. I'm planning to upgrade the memory and drop in an SSD, then use the media bay for a secondary storage/Optical drive setup. My only gripe is that it has the integraded graphics rather than the nVidia.

Overall it's a slick piece of machine, but I'd still take a ThinkPad any day of the week.

EDIT: Also, It's comforting to know that the magnesium alloy body of the E6400 is not only durable but can also be used to start a large fire in case of emergency =P

Last edited:
Everyone is different.

The best I have ever seen is my Sager NP8150 based on Clevo.

Has 2670QM / can support all the way to extreme I7 Sandy Bridge and can support 32GB of RAM. It also supports the worlds fastest mobile GPU the 6990m which I proudly run BF3 @ 1080p @ over 60FPS

Back