What is the best Keyboard and mouse that can be used with PS/2 Ports?

raclimj

Gawd
It will be used on an old KVM at my work that only supports PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard Input for the console.

For the Keyboard I am looking to get either a Noppoo choc mini 84 Cherry MX Brown or a Adesso Compact Size Mechanical Gaming Keyboard AKB-625UB with PS/2 adapter.

For the Mouse I am looking to get a Logitech G500 (hyperscroll wheel and thumb buttons is a must)

Will it work?

Do you guys have any specific brand or model recommendation for USB to PS/2 adapter for both the keyboard and mouse?

The g500 should work from what I could find.

There is really nothing special about any brand USB to PS/2 adapter. It is just a straight through connection and the device must also natively support PS/2

Now if you are wanting to plug a PS/2 device into a USB port, that is a whole different matter.

I don't think the G500 natively supports PS/2; most USB to PS/2 mouse adapters you find are passive pin adapters that only work because the mouse itself actually knows how to communicate using the PS/2 interface. Logitech quit supporting those many years ago.

You'd have to get a much older mouse, something like the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 or Logitech MX500/MX510 with the thumb buttons, and even then, you can forget about the Logitech-only free-scrolling wheels since those are on modern, USB-only mice.

At least with keyboards, you have plenty of options; PS/2 is a superior interface on the keyboard side of things just because it can handle full NKRO without issues, and as such most mechanical keyboards for enthusiasts still support it.

Back