What is the best Keyboard and mouse that can be used with PS/2 Ports?

Discussion in 'Mice and Keyboards' started by raclimj, Jul 17, 2017.

1. raclimj

raclimj Gawd

It will be used on an old KVM at my work that only supports PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard Input for the console.

For the Keyboard I am looking to get either a Noppoo choc mini 84 Cherry MX Brown or a Adesso Compact Size Mechanical Gaming Keyboard AKB-625UB with PS/2 adapter.

For the Mouse I am looking to get a Logitech G500 (hyperscroll wheel and thumb buttons is a must)

Will it work?

Do you guys have any specific brand or model recommendation for USB to PS/2 adapter for both the keyboard and mouse?

2. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

The g500 should work from what I could find.

There is really nothing special about any brand USB to PS/2 adapter. It is just a straight through connection and the device must also natively support PS/2

Now if you are wanting to plug a PS/2 device into a USB port, that is a whole different matter.

3. DGMurdockIII

DGMurdockIII Limp Gawd

4. NamelessPFG

NamelessPFG Limp Gawd

I don't think the G500 natively supports PS/2; most USB to PS/2 mouse adapters you find are passive pin adapters that only work because the mouse itself actually knows how to communicate using the PS/2 interface. Logitech quit supporting those many years ago.

You'd have to get a much older mouse, something like the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 or Logitech MX500/MX510 with the thumb buttons, and even then, you can forget about the Logitech-only free-scrolling wheels since those are on modern, USB-only mice.

At least with keyboards, you have plenty of options; PS/2 is a superior interface on the keyboard side of things just because it can handle full NKRO without issues, and as such most mechanical keyboards for enthusiasts still support it.

Findecanor likes this.