What is the "best" game in your Steam junk category?

tzhu07

Gawd
Do you have a category in your Steam library that you file all your junk games into? What's the "best" game in there?

Mine is Total War: SHOGUN 2. I played it for around 5 hours and just couldn't keep going anymore. Not my type of game, and I don't know how so many people and critics praise it.

Counter-Strike Source Beta

In all seriousness I would probably say my shit list is Killing Floor. Bought that and it sucked...

I agree with the topic poster about Shogun: Total War 2 as I absolutely loved the first one. It was my favourite Total War game they ever put out. That is probably #1 on my junk list as well.

Counter-Strike Source Beta

Seconded, :p non-beta though I'd have to say Torchlight. Messed around with it, good enough for what it is but not my favorite genre and never had much time to get into it, doubt I'll ever bother re-installing.

I agree with the topic poster about Shogun: Total War 2 as I absolutely loved the first one. It was my favourite Total War game they ever put out. That is probably #1 on my junk list as well.

Total War changed a lot after the first one (even the expansion changed things up). The original Shogun had a very chess like appeal - actions where relatively simple but had wide strategic importance, the game kept micro details to a minimum and battles where about how you fought rather the traditional RTS formulas of unit combos or rock/paper/scissors.

After the first game they started adding layers of micro-management details to the turn based layer while the battle layer got lots of 'special' units that brought it closer to a regular RTS, just with more units on screen. If you are going straight from the first Shogun (and first Total War game) to the second Shogun (and most recent Total War game) it's a completely different game.

I can see why critics like Shogun 2; it's like a streamlined, more approachable AAA version of Europa Universilas. But it's not a direct sequel to Shogun 1.

i played through the tutorial and about 2 hours into my own game of shogun 2 and i just couldn't get into it. reviews and videos made it look like something i would absolutely love, but it bored me to tears. still have it installed but haven't fired it up since then.

deus ex HR

and that's coming from of guy who enjoyed NOLF - SoF - HL and deus ex 1 to the fullest

It just didn't mix well with my tastes, thankfully i got it for free :p

I know many will probably disagree but mine was GTA IV, bought it on a steam sale for next to nothing.. put a few hours into it and honestly I cannot get into what so ever!

I know many will probably disagree but mine was GTA IV, bought it on a steam sale for next to nothing.. put a few hours into it and honestly I cannot get into what so ever!

Did you already play it on console? If so, I will agree it's not an "OMG this is awesome" game if you know what's coming. Graphics are a bit dated - HOWEVER there are fixes.

I got the GTA complete pack - and with the ICEenhancer shader mod, a few high res texture packs the game becomes gorgeous (if you have the hardware to run it)

Just driving around running into things and shooting is fun -- I don't care to do any of the missions as I've beat the game on console.

deus ex HR

and that's coming from of guy who enjoyed NOLF - SoF - HL and deus ex 1 to the fullest

It just didn't mix well with my tastes, thankfully i got it for free :p

I really hated this game until I got to the second city. My suggestion is to buy all the augmentations that increase your exploration opportunities ASAP. Finding hidden paths and secret rooms is what makes the game fun imo.

Anyway, for me, I'd have to say Borderlands. It was a fun game, but I got it after all my friends had played it, which left we stuck playing alone or with PUGs. Both options made the game far less enjoyable than it should have been.

Did you already play it on console? If so, I will agree it's not an "OMG this is awesome" game if you know what's coming. Graphics are a bit dated - HOWEVER there are fixes.

I got the GTA complete pack - and with the ICEenhancer shader mod, a few high res texture packs the game becomes gorgeous (if you have the hardware to run it)

Just driving around running into things and shooting is fun -- I don't care to do any of the missions as I've beat the game on console.

I never had played it before, seen friends play it on their computer but never for myself until i bought it. Maybe I need to try modding it. I've seen the ICEenhancer mod and that looks amazing.. and the mods giving real cars to the game. I think the blandness of it's visuals is what keeps me from getting engrossed in it. My rig is in my sig.. should be good for all those mods?

Puzzle quest 2. I feel bad because my cousin gifted it to me since we both loved PQ1 but PQ2 is just ugly. The art is terrible and a game like that has to stand on the aesthetics. I got about 5 minutes into it and the gameplay and controls were just not for me at all.

Last edited:
Brink, Arkham City, BioShock, Bully, Crysis Warhead/Wars, Day of Defeat: Source, Killing Floor, Just Cause 2 or either Portal. They're all neck and neck. I have lots of "good" games in my shitbox category. Might get around to them some day, but each I've played 5-10 hours of and been totally unimpressed by.

See, this is the reason why I hire games from my local video library. I then get the chance to try it for a couple of hours, if I like it I buy it. Just like Borderlands2, didnt expect much, but in fact I was so impressed I purchased 2 and gifted one to my brother.

To answer OP's question; CS Source, DOD Source, Left4Dead (Screw Valve for bringing 2 out so soon after 1)

Brink, Arkham City, BioShock, Bully, Crysis Warhead/Wars, Day of Defeat: Source, Killing Floor, Just Cause 2 or either Portal. They're all neck and neck. I have lots of "good" games in my shitbox category. Might get around to them some day, but each I've played 5-10 hours of and been totally unimpressed by.

Arkham City is a phenomenal game. Sit down and really learn the game and its mechanics. I was bummed the game had to end.

Arkham City is a phenomenal game. Sit down and really learn the game and its mechanics. I was bummed the game had to end.
Yea, the Mr. Freeze battle was a challenge for me because up to that point I was just kicking everyone's ass the same way. Really fun game, I think I'll play right now. :)
iZ278u4Io4XA0.jpg

I read this as, Valve sucks, everything they make sucks. Screw them!

Honestly, that was not my intention nor my belief. I was just disappointed that DOD was a separate purchase, yet it was only a port from the original HL mod with nothing extra added.

Valve have been very good for the PC gaming community, unlike others *cough* .. EA .. *cough*

I have a lot of games that the majority of people like that I bought on steam and have barely played 30 mins of. Skyrim is one of them, I love the concept of open world RPG but hate something about TES games that I just cant ever get into any one of them. I was promised by friends that I would like Skyrim even if I didnt like oblivion and I really wanted to give it a chance but again I still couldn't stand it, I can't explain why I just dont like TES.

I really didn't like Dawn of War 2, how much it changed from the original, which I still play occasionally.

I felt the same way about Civilization V and though I put a few more hours into it in an attempt to like it, it just didn't grab me like IV. Or even Civilization 2: Multiplayer Gold, which I also still play once in a while.

King's Bounty was a total waste, and I couldn't get into any of the Total War or Tropico games either.

Back