What is the best free email?

erkan

Gawd
Ive been using hotmail for a while, and im starting to notice my emails dont go out very fast to people, and sometimes I recieve emails that have been sent days ago. Im sick of hotmail, whats free and is better than hotmail?

Running your own server.

At least, that's been my experience. I can do my own spam and virus filtering, and I can tweak my imap folders and filters to my liking whenever I want.

Lol, I'm guessing that's a bit much for just this though.

IMO, Yahoo's e-mail is one of the best out there. My e-mails seem to send and arrive nearly instantly (usually in the amount of time it takes for the page to reload.) Plus, in a sort of minor competition with the soon to be out gigabyte-mail by Google, they give you 100MB of space, which is rather a lot to work with (and more than us humans need.)

I use Gmail, it's great to have when you need to email large files (70mb or so).

I've been using IMail for three years now. They have many different domains you can choose from. I subscribe to the POP3 access they have so I can check it with Outlook instead of thier website otherwise it's free.

www.mail.com

Been using Yahoo mail ever since 1996. I tested out around 5-6 different free services back then and found Yahoo to be the fastest performer (although that was 8 years ago). I've had the same email address for that entire period of time without much of any problem and most recently upgraded to a pay service through Yahoo for something like $30/year. I have 2GB mail storage online and a ton of extra features I really like using -mainly the ability to export/import my mail with Outlook for local storage. I have found their spam filters to be just a dream to work with (although not perfect my any means) and they have been pretty reliable in their uptime. Their free service is pretty good but their pay service is well worth the $$ to me -and the lack of ads on the screen is nice too. Can't say I can compare them to anything else out there now since I haven't evaluated other free mail servives since 1996 but I have no reason to change (especially with that old of an email address). I've been able to check my email while traveling in Guatemala and Mexico too.

hotmail was good then i used yahoo which was imo better... now with 100MB its probably the best free one available. gmail has been good to me so far so when its out of beta ill probably move over to it.

What sort of aspects of Gmail make it good? I've never seen it or used it so I'm curious.

I am curious about this gmail. What are all the invites about. Do you have to be invited to get gmail? I have used yahoo since 2002 and have had no problems with it.

Technically GMail is still in beta, but folks are coveting invites because they want to get a lock on their unique e-mail address and take advantage of the 1gb of space. There is already hacks that are taking advantage of this system. (i.e. Linux filesystem that uses the gmail as a drive, blogging software that uses gmail as a submission tool, etc...)

The system is currently invite only, but Google has released a large amount of invites recently, suggesting they may be out of beta soon.

Now all Gmail needs is a very small app to sit in the system tray and tell you when you have e-mail.

cuemasterfl said:
Now all Gmail needs is a very small app to sit in the system tray and tell you when you have e-mail.
oh man, i wish i was a programmer, i would integrate it with the google tool bar. that would = t3h win!

compslckr said:
oh man, i wish i was a programmer, i would integrate it with the google tool bar. that would = t3h win!

There's a plugin that does this for firefox. Exactly what you wanted :p

It's in the plugins section at the firefox official website.

Also, if anyone needs an invite feel free to send a pm my way, I've got 5 or so left.

i have 6 gmail invites, the first 6 PMs with an email address in them get invites sent to the provided email address.

Back