what is the best cpu to buy @ 600$????

jimgeagea

Limp Gawd
hello guys,
i have 600$ and i want the best cpu i can get at this price!
do i go for the new intel dual core?
or the new amd dual core?
i need your help please.

you could get an X2 4400+, which is dual core, and WAY better then that fx53, which are known to be crappy ocers.

jimgeagea said:
do i go for the new intel dual core?
or the new intel dual core?

Not a lot of choices there, haha.

But the X2 is a far better processor than the Intel Dual Core in almost every way. For $600, you should go for the 4400+.

hmmm, all ur answers are X2 4400+ well,
isnt there any competitive intel dual core cpu at 600$???

jimgeagea said:
hmmm, all ur answers are X2 4400+ well,
isnt there any competitive intel dual core cpu at 600$???

Not really, unless you bump your price up around $400 more. Go with AMD.

ehZn said:
Not really, unless you bump your price up around $400 more. Go with AMD.

The best Intel Dual core is outbenched by the lowest AMD dual core. So more like, you'd have to wait until the 3.4 or 3.6ghz Pentium D's heh.

ok, what about a mobo for the x2 4400?? i am planning to get a DFI lan party Ultra-D ? what do u think??
and do u know any site that ships 4400 to canada with a competitive price???

jimgeagea said:
ok, what about a mobo for the x2 4400?? i am planning to get a DFI lan party Ultra-D ? what do u think??
and do u know any site that ships 4400 to canada with a competitive price???

I think Tiger Direct ships to canada.

Yeah, get the DFI board.

robberbaron said:
I think Tiger Direct ships to canada.

Yeah, get the DFI board.

well i know about tigerdirect, but it is not yet in stock, i was wondering if it is in stock or not yet?

jimgeagea said:
well i know about tigerdirect, but it is not yet in stock, i was wondering if it is in stock or not yet?

Ok, then, Monarch Computers. I know Monarch ships to Australia, so Canada shouldnt be a problem.

robberbaron said:
Ok, then, Monarch Computers. I know Monarch ships to Australia, so Canada shouldnt be a problem.

i think i was missunderstood, i want a site that ships to canada and has the 4400 in stock available for shipping! and not as preorder!

I'd hold out for the 4400 as long as we're paying 600ish already...if you can wait for it. At that price the $40 difference isn't something I'd be concerned with.

Weren't the 4400's supposed to be at $580ish? Must be getting marked up a bit since the availability is still lowish.

ashmedai said:
I'd hold out for the 4400 as long as we're paying 600ish already...if you can wait for it. At that price the $40 difference isn't something I'd be concerned with.

Weren't the 4400's supposed to be at $580ish? Must be getting marked up a bit since the availability is still lowish.

$580ish for bulk orders of 1000 or more, yeah. We arent dealing with that though ;)

Drat.

And when the !!!! are they going to have Newark actually become available? Haven't they dumped enough Clawhammers yet?

That's progress, but where's the AMN3000BKX5BU? :(

It's 754 so the point is to be cheap, right? They get one out for 150ish I might do it just so I have something to play with. Low profile media server maybe.

ashmedai said:
That's progress, but where's the AMN3000BKX5BU? :(

It's 754 so the point is to be cheap, right? They get one out for 150ish I might do it just so I have something to play with. Low profile media server maybe.

You dont want anything but the 3700+. They are speedbinned really tightly. I think the best 3400's do is around 2.6ghz with 1.6v.

robberbaron said:
You dont want anything but the 3700+. They are speedbinned really tightly. I think the best 3400's do is around 2.6ghz with 1.6v.

Well there goes that project...guess I'll stick with my X2 4400 planned upgrade. Which I still hold to be the best CPU for $600. :p

Pity about the low end Newarks, that would have been killer. DTR San Diego for cheap.

p0tempkin said:
Another vote for Athlon 64 X2 4400+. Best $540 I've ever spent!

If you know where to get one for $540, fess up. They're going for about $620 at Monarch.

ashmedai said:
If you know where to get one for $540, fess up. They're going for about $620 at Monarch.

it was at tigerdirect oem @ 548$ but it is not there anymore! there is only retail for 603$ @tigerdirect..

is there any other site i am missing?

your right, and dnt give up hope on s754 yet, the still hae the Claw DTRs, which usually hit 2.7ghz. and id say the x2 4200+ or 4400+ is a great choice.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
your right, and dnt give up hope on s754 yet, the still hae the Claw DTRs, which usually hit 2.7ghz. and id say the x2 4200+ or 4400+ is a great choice.

3700+ Newark is really the best.

yea, but were talking 350 vs 140, and depending on what you want for a setup, high htt for TCCD rams, or lower htt for 1:1 UTT action, each will have its pluses. and from 350 to 140, heat isnt an issue, you could just get watercooling to make up the 210 dollar gap.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
yea, but were talking 350 vs 140, and depending on what you want for a setup, high htt for TCCD rams, or lower htt for 1:1 UTT action, each will have its pluses. and from 350 to 140, heat isnt an issue, you could just get watercooling to make up the 210 dollar gap.

TCCD isnt for socket 754. You can save money on ram by getting twinmos and then going for the 3700+ Newark. YOU WOULD DO IT IF YOU REALLY LOVED SOCKET 754 :cool:

ashmedai said:

OEM 4400+ were $545 at TigerDirect, bought a pair, went through an online rebate portal to get 3% off the total, so it came out to $540 each.

(cf)Eclipse said:
and just to nitpick, the Newark is a true mobile, not a DTR ;)

Damn inaccurate internet research. No wonder they never let me cite in research papers.

ashmedai said:
Damn inaccurate internet research. No wonder they never let me cite in research papers.

You didnt know that?

Well, the Newark runs at 1.35v. DTR's run at the full 1.5v, and true mobile clawhammers run at 1.4v.

robberbaron said:
TCCD isnt for socket 754. You can save money on ram by getting twinmos and then going for the 3700+ Newark. YOU WOULD DO IT IF YOU REALLY LOVED SOCKET 754 :cool:

are you challenging my love for s754! and if you get twinmos, that means you gotta get the DFI board, and then a psu that has adjustable rails, or have good soldering skills. and id personally take a DTR, and chaintech vnf3-250 and a nice set of crucial ballistix anyday. throw the vdimm up to 2.9 and the timings to 2.5-2-2-10, and let the goodtimes roll

Back