what is the best contact material between the layer of m.2 SSD and its heatsink?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought this brand call Jeti from new egg. The contact layer that is put on top of m.2 SSD is just a piece of rubber , then the heatsink screw in on the top.

Now, w/ CPU and its heatsink, I use Arctic Cooling MX-4, so how does a piece of rubber replaces compound like MX-4?

I bought this brand call Jeti from new egg. The contact layer that is put on top of m.2 SSD is just a piece of rubber , then the heatsink screw in on the top.

Now, w/ CPU and its heatsink, I use Arctic Cooling MX-4, so how does a piece of rubber replaces compound like MX-4?
its a thermal pad, thats normal. dont try to compare the two, totally different things.

how does a piece of rubber replaces compound like MX-4?

Your SSD isn't consuming 100W+, so it doesn't need a thermal interface that is as efficient as pastes. Have you honestly never once seen a thermal pad before? Never looked under a GPU or motherboard chipset heatsink? I find that really hard to believe for someone that's been posting on a tech forum for nearly 2 decades.

AT a motherboard chipset heatsink, it's just metal. It's chunk of metal w/ heat pipes extending to the fin. I don't see any thermal pad on my CPU heatsink

(Don't alter GPU heatsink, I only use what comes w/ the box)

So the answer is no. I never have to use SSD heatsink until this new PC, still haven't finish transferring 2 old component from the old PC to this new one.

also, I don't know how well it works: I got the Crucial P5 installed, I do a full format, and transfer 500GB on this 1 TB SSD, when done, that heatsink is hot. It's not burning hot, as I can handle the heat when I put my finger on it, but it's hot.

I don't know how well it works...that heatsink is hot

Yeah that's...how a heatsink works. It pulls heat away from the object you're trying to cool. If it wasn't even getting warm, then that'd mean the thermal interface material is too thick and is just insulating the component.

Also, why aren't you doing before/after benchmarks if you want to know whether your cooling solution is working or not?

because my new PC haven't finish off building yet. I'm still transfering components, so there is no time to do tests. I will be having temperature gauge thermal taped to the heatsink of all 3 m.2 SSD, so I'll know the exact temperature from the fan controller

what SSD is it (does the motherboard have its own integrated heat sinks for the m.2 slots ? )

Back