What is the "Best" Air High End CPU Cooler?

theseeker said:
Tbh, you have conduct your own tests, in your own environment. My last system was H2O cooled and I compared, thanks to a neighbor of mine. The 9500's keep my 2 CPUS within 2C of H2O. That is good enough for me.

Being "h2o" cooled doesn't mean you have good cooling. Depends on components. And sorry, I won't conduct my own tests as I dont have the money nor need to buy all of those heatsinks to conclude which is the best, hence the reason I look at reviews.

sabrewolf732 said:
Being "h2o" cooled doesn't mean you have good cooling. Depends on components. And sorry, I won't conduct my own tests as I dont have the money nor need to buy all of those heatsinks to conclude which is the best, hence the reason I look at reviews.
you dont?!?!?! whats wrong with yoou!!!! ;)

to install a hsf on the ultra d in the antec p160w case, will i have to remove the mobo? is that a pain? (ive never owned a desktop, only a lappy). Can someone explain?

sabrewolf732 said:
Who pays for the reviews? BTW, my H2O cooling was top notch.

jcll2002 said:
to install a hsf on the ultra d in the antec p160w case, will i have to remove the mobo? is that a pain? (ive never owned a desktop, only a lappy). Can someone explain?
i have a P160w and really you never said what heatsink your getting but if its a more higher performance heatsink then you might, but removin the mobo from the P160 is real cake.....

prolly the scythe ninja. Can you please take some pics. There is only one review on the net!

take some pics of wha?.. installing a hsf?.. all you have to do is replace the mounting clip on the board after you have removed the board from the case/mobo holder

now if your a desktop beginger you really got to pay attention to where everything went when you take out the board, cause if you put a pci card in a difforent slot your be installing drivers and shit. Its really easy, and im sure the HSF comes with instructions that will give you better incite

one thing you have to stress is cleaning the CPU while your in there and putting a fresh aplicatio of thermal paste...
frankly if all this too much for you cause your new and you are not haveing heat issues.. dont do it, its not worth it...

theseeker said:

Im sure you're correct considering every review contradicts what you've said. I mean, they must all be paid off no? And to the op, removing a motherboard is extremely easy. Simply remove the screws then replace the backplate on the motherboard and screw in the heatsink.

The new Zalman CNPS-X500 Fatality w/ red copper fins\heatpipe and red LED.

Looks just like the CNPS-9500 but doper! :D

noobtech said:
The new Zalman CNPS-X500 Fatality w/ red copper fins\heatpipe and red LED.

Looks just like the CNPS-9500 but doper! :D

Which begs the question, why does anyone want hardware with someone else's name on it? :confused:

sabrewolf732 said:
Im sure you're correct considering every review contradicts what you've said. I mean, they must all be paid off no? And to the op, removing a motherboard is extremely easy. Simply remove the screws then replace the backplate on the motherboard and screw in the heatsink.
You must be Italian.

o_O? What colors? Explain and I'll send a pm to the mod telling him I was wrong in reporting the post...

ah crap, now im confused.

I thought he was talking about the fsf with aluminum, red, and blue lights. My bad, Im not really sure what he was talking about

Come on guys, let's be adults here and get back on topic. Now how about that Fatal1ty HTF? I just don't like how he is "THE best video game player" just cause he got paid. B.F.D.! I mean, I am sure he's good at counter-strike, but can he beat me at Marvel VS Capcom 2? Can he beat Super Mario Bros. as fast as me?

Yeah, Zalman 9500 rocks... XP-90C... / panaflo.

This topic has been beat to death like a dead horse... (from the godfather, in your bed)

im thinking about going with the ninja and maybe a 120mm Nexus Real Silent fan..

yeah my bad, i should have made it clearer that i was talking abouot the p160w ;)

t3chyo888 said:
I disagree i have a socket 939 3400+ 800mhz bus 512k cache cpu in a asus mobo my cpu temos overclocked to 2.6ghz @ 1.65volts are 29c my case temps are 29c this things run me overclocked @ ambient temps im using the zalman 9500

OK yea i see were my temps were of so now after installing an external temp monitor on the base of my zalman my cpu temps @ 31c 36c full load case temps still 28c-29c
temp monitor is in between the base and the heatpipes

t3chyo888 said:
OK yea i see were my temps were of so now after installing an external temp monitor on the base of my zalman my cpu temps @ 31c 36c full load case temps still 28c-29c
temp monitor is in between the base and the heatpipes

WHich still doesn't give you an accurate temperature for the core of the cpu. To get an accurate core temp you would have to drill into the ihs near the core and place the thermal monitor in the hole

sabrewolf732 said:
WHich still doesn't give you an accurate temperature for the core of the cpu. To get an accurate core temp you would have to drill into the ihs near the core and place the thermal monitor in the hole

or just estimate and add on somewhere in and about 10C

THE probe is ontop of the copper block touching the ihs there no way in hell theres a 10c difference my bios shows 31c asus probe shows 31c and so does my probe

sabrewolf732 said:
You must be making stereotypical statements. Post reported. And I'm hispanic btw, gg.

My former partner was Italian, he ended his sentences with a NO. And I am Jewish, nothing reported.

t3chyo888 said:
THE probe is ontop of the copper block touching the ihs there no way in hell theres a 10c difference my bios shows 31c asus probe shows 31c and so does my probe

actually yes there is.Even putting it on the IHS does not report accurate temps, and putting it on the hs (not even on the ihs) skews the results even more. I reccomend that you learn a bit about heat dissipation

theseeker said:
My former partner was Italian, he ended his sentences with a NO. And I am Jewish, nothing reported.

Sorry, I overreacted. No harm taken.

Well, I finally got tired of looking at the big overblown Ninja and took it off only to find this:

IMG_0501.jpg

Oh the excitement there. What a #$@#$ to get off!! I thought I was gonna rip my socket off, lol.

I was runnin' it on the rig in sig. Fan was a 1200rpm silverstone good for 50cfm. Now I'm runnin' the Zalman 9500. At same db level, the cpu temps identical. The PWM's have gone down about 5c tho. Also, the Zalman just looks infinitely cooler imo. :D

ok well if there is a 10c difference and my cpu is running @ 2.9ghz and is stable for the past 4 days with no issues running prime 95 gaming and doing everything else and my cpu temps according to all the program bios and the probe never hit over 32c im happy

hey I was just about to buy a scythe ninja + silverstone 120mm fan to replace my xp-90c and medium panaflo. This thread has changed my mind. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I hated the clips on the Ninja. Almost as bad as the LGA775 stock "plastic pins" were.

The Zalman uses the same socket...even the same screws!! All you need is the sink and a little bracket for 939. Maybe it's just me? If I'm puttin' on a big ol boy, I prefer the piece of mind only acquired from a good screw, ya know? ;)

JMke said:
Jodiuh I share your pain; the glue on the first batch of Scyth's backplates is far too strong; it ripped a resistor from my mainboard...

http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?postid=106335#post106335

the board is still working though.. luckily ;)
apon further reading your link just to let everyone that hasnt read the rest of that thread you link...

you all should read this

http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?postid=106335#post106340

its a reply from Scythe about the issue

i still think my Thermalright XP 120 is the best cooler ive ever had

theseeker said:

nobody, my free time which I give up to do these tests go unpaid...

Back