What is the best AGP card out there right now?

Retne

Limp Gawd
I asked google and his answers were mostly from October 2006 lol. Is it still the 1950XT? If so am I capable of getting that for $200?
I've looked around a little bit and only the pro has come close to my buying range. Of course I haven't been to too many sites because I can't remember them, reason being that I formatted a while ago and being the fool that I am, I forgot to backup my favorites.
Check the sig for my current system.

If you only feel like telling me to upgrade my mobo, please just don't post. I see no point in upgrading my motherboard and I doubt you will ever convince me otherwise.

Thanks in advance to any help I may recieve,
Cheers :D.

Edit: I forgot to mention I want to be able to run at 1680x1050 smoothly if that has any effect on the outcome of your answers ;)

I asked google and his answers were mostly from October 2006 lol. Is it still the 1950XT? If so am I capable of getting that for $200?
I've looked around a little bit and only the pro has come close to my buying range. Of course I haven't been to too many sites because I can't remember them, reason being that I formatted a while ago and being the fool that I am, I forgot to backup my favorites.
Check the sig for my current system.

If you only feel like telling me to upgrade my mobo, please just don't post. I see no point in upgrading my motherboard and I doubt you will ever convince me otherwise.

Thanks in advance to any help I may recieve,
Cheers :D.

Edit: I forgot to mention I want to be able to run at 1680x1050 smoothly if that has any effect on the outcome of your answers ;)

I'm confused.
You have a +3200 and a 939 board. Why don't you just buy a pci-express motherboard. The x1950xt is powerful but you will build yourself into a corner by staying in AGP. There are a slew of pci-e boards out there for socket 939. I vote you should spend $100 on a good board and $100 on a 7600gt. It will keep your upgrade options open too for the future when that 7600gt starts to age.

I'm confused.
You have a +3200 and a 939 board. Why don't you just buy a pci-express motherboard. The x1950xt is powerful but you will build yourself into a corner by staying in AGP. There are a slew of pci-e boards out there for socket 939. I vote you should spend $100 on a good board and $100 on a 7600gt. It will keep your upgrade options open too for the future when that 7600gt starts to age.

Way to ignore the OP's entire point about not wanting to upgrade his mobo.

Back to the topic, I second the x1950xt. It may not be DX10, but there's so much doubt as to whether current DX10 cards will even run DX10 games well that support may be irrelevant anyways.

EDIT: I recall reading that the nVidia 8600 series and the ATI 2600 series should have AGP versions coming, perhaps within the month (though I doubt it). That's worth at least looking in to.

Or you could get the x1950pro AGP for about $200 with 512 megs or 256 for about $160ish, after rebate.

Keep in mind, a x1950pro PCIe with 256 megs is $120 without a rebate. I just looked up a 939 board on newegg, and i saw a few for $50-60 with PCIe.

Rumor has it, that other companies will make an AGP versions of the new Nvidia and ATI cards.. When? who knows. I bet you these AGP cards will be relatively more expensive than their PCIe counterparts.. They won't sell as much, and not many other makers for them..

I was very close to getting a x1950pro AGP, before I decided I'll just build a new system and got a e6600 and 8800GTS. Well worth the jump. :)

Way to ignore the OP's entire point about not wanting to upgrade his mobo.

Thats why I asked him why he didn't want to upgrade his motherboard? AND I even commented as to why he wants to build into a dead end?

If I were him I would get that little foxconn PCIe matx mobo (939) on the egg before it disappears and plop the 3200 on it then OC to around 2.6 and get a 512 eVGA or BFG 7950GT. That way when more mature high-mid DX10 cards finally make it out you can make an easy transition and even use the 6150 IGP in between those transitions. I would actually wait until the eVGA 7950 512 was in stock with the lifetime warranty for around $219.00 AR that way you can saddle up on a 8800GTS 320MB if you so desire within 90 days (step up). You can't do that with AGP, and in the process add a nice 4400-4800X2 later on.

I'm confused.

Because he doesnt f**king want to. Can people here please answer questions and not attack posters for once?

I am also interested in this. Currently running 4400 X2 on a K8N Neo2 with a 6800GT. I don't want to bother getting a new mobo. Probably going to set up a 2nd whole new system before long anyway.
Anyone think the x1950pro AGP be a worthy upgrade over the 6800?

Oh and what about a 7800 GS? I have always been comfortable with nVidia myself...

...I even commented as to why he wants to build into a dead end?
That's exactly what you're suggesting he do, by telling him to go out and buy another 939 board. Presumably a DDR1 one as well, since I saw no mention of buying new RAM in your post.

I'm definitely with the OP on this one. If you're gonna replace the mobo you may as well do it right, which in an AGP/939/DDR system means replacing everything. Given that a new card will extend the life of the system until the CPU/RAM actually need replacing, this is what I'd be doing too.

Anyone think the x1950pro AGP be a worthy upgrade over the 6800?

Oh and what about a 7800 GS? I have always been comfortable with nVidia myself...
Pretty sure the 7900GS is closer to the x1950pro in terms of price and performance. Off the top of my head, from a review I read a week ago, the x1950pro is about 10% faster across the board (outside of the Doom3 engine at least). Though I hear the 7900GS overclocks better, and it's a tiny bit cheaper.

OK. For all of you people out there wondering why I wont buy a new mobo: It will cost me roughly $200 for a new card and guess what? It will cost me roughly $200 to buy a mobo and a card. Hmmmmmmm do less work for the same end result? Sure thanks :D.

And if you are going to tell me I should upgrade to PCIe for more options later: I plan on building a whole new rig maybe 1-2 years down the line. That's why I'm "building myself into a corner." I usually just build whole new computers when I upgrade. Then I use the old one for a server or a TV comp or whatever I feel like doing with it.

For those that actually read my full statement and stayed on topic I appreciate it. Now that I know it is still the 1950, should I go with the pro or the XT? Will there be a big enough difference for me to notice. Granted I mainly play older games like lineage II and CS 1.6, but I would like to be able to play new games should I care to and play the old ones at super high settings to make them look a little prettier.

On the Nvidia side you might be able to find a Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ Golden Sample with 512mb and 24 pipes...it has a 7900gt chip.

I have a eVGA 7800GS Superclock AGP card in one of my gaming rigs and its hooked up to a 20" LCD 1680x1050 res Monitor. I use it for playing DAoC on and Oblivion without any problems. I run 2Gb RAM too though. My vote would go for the 1950Pro AGP card as best card for AGP but thats just my opnion.

Side Note: I think we have pretty much reached the end of the AGP line. Nowadays people need to start switching over to PCIe cards. High end AGP cards are limited and more expensive than comparable PCIe cards of the same performance category.

I have the x1950pro AGP, and I'm very satisfied with it. You wouldn't see a noticable difference in the x1950xt to justify the cost difference.

x1950pro FTW. Period. Runs circles around 6800ultra.

OK. For all of you people out there wondering why I wont buy a new mobo: It will cost me roughly $200 for a new card and guess what? It will cost me roughly $200 to buy a mobo and a card. Hmmmmmmm do less work for the same end result? Sure thanks .

Thats all I wanted to know. If you are going to build a whole new rig in a year or so, then it makes no sense upgrading the motherboard.

Some fucktards need to pull their heads out of their asses and understand that when people ask questions, that it is just that a question.. THIS paragraph on the other hand is a blatant attack *No, this is not a question like the contents of my previous posts* at the idiot who quoted me and put words into my mouth. ggz.

X1950pro.... period.

Best AGP card I've ever had... and I have an XT in another machine and the difference is marginal at best, so save your money and go with the pro.

I have the x1950pro AGP, and I'm very satisfied with it. You wouldn't see a noticable difference in the x1950xt to justify the cost difference.

x1950pro FTW. Period. Runs circles around 6800ultra.

You will see a noticable difference especially at a higher resolution because the XT has a higher clock speed AND more pipelines.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=326860

This looks good to me :eek:. Any objections to the sapphire model? Just want to make sure before I buy ;).

EDIT: How noticable would you say? If we are talking a couple fps I'm fine with that lol.
Between the xt and pro, you are looking at a number around 10-20fps. I had a x1900gt (about the same as a pro) and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't max out anything, but I came pretty close.

Because he doesnt f**king want to. Can people here please answer questions and not attack posters for once?
no shit. the arrogance around here some days is downright heartless. be helpful for fuck sakes and listen to what a person asks or save it!

agp lives and does just friking fine. not everyone is or thinks they are elite or has an epenis to virtually stroke, but dont for one second think just a few notes on here represent the norm! we have a huge lan in our home with so many gamers coming and going not to mention the many I work with and only a handful have vista. upgrading to dx10 gpus is out of the question while its still in its hymen phase. great times are had by new and young gamers playing cs:s gungame, dow, starcraft and even war2 when we're feeling gidde. agp all over the damn place!

I'd be happy as a pig in shit to have X1950XT's in all the agp machines. get one while you can. dx10 titles will still be playable for the average gamer on that gpu

/.02, cheers!

hey Retne,

one thing you may also consider is getting some more ram. Your sig says you are running 1 gig of ddr 400 which might create an issue(keeping up with a newer faster card which is running DDR3 ram).
As for your power supply most of the x1950 series cards are reccomending a minimum of 450 watt psu with a separate power connector for that card, I would double check before you buy the video card because this upgrade could add up faster than expected if you get the card and discover that the psu wont hold up. Check this link for some help calculating the draw on your system. Keep in mind this is only an estimation http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

For my pick on cards well, I am an Nvidia guy but the x1950 gt/pro are very formidable oppponents so I would go with which ever one a uses less power so you dont have to worry about your psu. tigerdirect.com has some nice prices and different agp cards than newegg for you to consider.

Cheers! & GL!

Between the xt and pro, you are looking at a number around 10-20fps. I had a x1900gt (about the same as a pro) and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't max out anything, but I came pretty close.

This card is not even about the same as the x1950, just check some benchies.

I bought a Visiontek X1950 PRO, my first ATI card in like 3 years, for my AGP system: (Asus P4P800-Deluxe, P4 3.4EE (Over clocked by 10%), 2gig. of Kingston HyperX PC3500, SB X-Fi). I was very pleased with it for the week it was in my system.

I play COD, COD:UO, COD2, DoD Source and Enemy Territory. As you can tell by those titles, with the exception of COD2, my gfx card requirements are not steep. Still, coming from my BFG 7900 GS/OC, there was a noticeable performance increase. ET and DoD:Source in particular smoothed out a lot. After looking at all of those maps and playing hundreds of hours with the Nvidia cards, I immediately noticed that the X1950 PRO had far better image quality. The image quality (brightness, textures, everything) with the 7.5 Catalyst drivers is very impressive and I got a very nice performance gain as well (I am pegged at 125 FPS in ET and DoD:Source had a 20% gain in FPS. The gameplay in both games is now smooth as butter).

Well, I guess I cannot leave well enough alone because I stumbled onto the Gecube X1950XT at newegg and I could not resist getting it. So, I installed it last night and saw another notch upward in performance. Image quality is still excellent and I paid about the same for the XT card (it ended up being about $25 more). I let the ATI Overdrive (or is it Override?) determine the best core and mem clocks, then ran ATITool for 30 minutes with no problems at all with an average frame rate of 560 FPS I think). Temps went up to 65C during the tests. I think anything more would be bottlenecked by the CPU. I am in a sweet spot with this card.

Bottom line for me is the PRO and the XT cards breathed a lot more life into my AGP rig and I would have been completely satisfied with PRO.

Back