What is *THE* 24-incher today?

xeefus

Limp Gawd
Hello. I've been considering getting a 24" monitor for a while now, and well... I feel like getting one NOW! :) Games I'm playing are following: Quake 3, Half-Life 1&2 (which will be run at my Dell P1130 anyway), Warcraft 3, some World of Warcraft, Dungeon Siege 1&2 and Diablo 2... (the later ones don't require high refreshrate so they'll be fine with the LCD/TFT I suppose?)

Soo, image quality is def. prio #1 (price is second! ;)) I do 3D-stuff, photoshop, surf the interwebsnets, play games, webdesign sometimes, well like almost everything possible. Pixel mapping I dunno? I'll probably run 1920x1200 in all games possible. The monitor will be bought in Sweden (or europe atleast) and maximum price is 1000€.

Give me suggestions, and explain why, reviews, comparisations etc are nice too. Rich colors is a big + too. Sharpness is very important.

I bet I forgot alot of stuff here... No speakers built-in. DVI / HDMI or whatever is a must. I might need to get a new graphic card too, or will the 6800GT run the games fine (E6600 + 2GB ram)? (at Ultra frequencies)

Thanks in advance!

You're going to need a new video card. I upgraded from a 6800gt to a 7900gs and saw my framerates double in WoW, playing at 1600x1200 and full eyecandy. An 8800 GTS should be your goal, preferably 640mb.

As for which monitor, either the Dell 2407 or the BenQ look to be the monitors of choice.

I'm a big fan of Dell's 24" LCDs. They perform extremely well and the 3-year warranty is great. My 2405 was great, but died after 2+ years. Dell replaced it with a new 2407 (A03) which now has its own 3 year warranty. :D

I am looking at the NEC 2490. I have the same requirements except that I do not do any gaming. Web development; Office and PDF work; Photoshop and other photo manipulation; plus HD video playback and editing. I can not think of a better monitor to do the job.

Oh right... So far the NEC LCD2490WUXi looks most interesting except for the high price :( But I couldn't find it in Sweden so I have no idea how much higher the price would be over here.

The Dell 2407 looks most tempting since it's price and design. :p I think I'll go with that one most likely... Unless anyone has anything to say to me about it? :p

I dont recommend buying anything at the moment, alot is happening in the 24" area in June. Samsung, Apple, Viewsonic and Dell are updating their montors.

I dont recommend buying anything at the moment, alot is happening in the 24" area in June. Samsung, Apple, Viewsonic and Dell are updating their montors.

Oh... Any idea what the updates will be? :O

Oh... Any idea what the updates will be? :O
I don't know about the other makers but Dell is coming out with a 2407WFP-HC (high color) which will have a 92% color gamut....useful for photo editing and the other things you mentioned.

I don't know about the other makers but Dell is coming out with a 2407WFP-HC (high color) which will have a 92% color gamut....useful for photo editing and the other things you mentioned.

I see. Then I can probably wait a little while. My P1130 still does everything just fine at the moment.

Your video card stink dude....You need nothing less than a 8800gtx to be able to play in 1900x1200 with an acceptable framerate on a 24"

If I were you I would buy a 22" LCD with a 8800GTS 320meg... The goal is to have very good framerate in games...unless you want to play at lower res on your 24".

Personnaly I'm waiting for new 24" to come out.

Your video card stink dude....You need nothing less than a 8800gtx to be able to play in 1900x1200 with an acceptable framerate on a 24"

If I were you I would buy a 22" LCD with a 8800GTS 320meg... The goal is to have very good framerate in games...unless you want to play at lower res on your 24".

Personnaly' I'm waiting for new 24" to come out.

Sorry for this double post, I cannot delete it ??

i know for a fact you don't need to run an 8800GTX for playable rates.. id say at absolute worst a 8600/8800GTS.

i have the 8800GTS320mb and i have no problems at all @ 1680x1050 with a AA and AF turned on almost all the way up in most games.. and at 1920x1200.. you shouldn't need AA.

i know for a fact you don't need to run an 8800GTX for playable rates.. id say at absolute worst a 8600/8800GTS.

i have the 8800GTS320mb and i have no problems at all @ 1680x1050 with a AA and AF turned on almost all the way up in most games.. and at 1920x1200.. you shouldn't need AA.

You still need AA at 1920x1200. Trust me, I have one. And a 8800GTS 640:)

If you want the best bang for the buck(s) around 700 of them after taxes.
You might want to look at the BenQ or the LG

Here is a link to the manufacturer's site of the LG

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/computer products_lcd monitors_wide screen_L246WP-BN.jhtml

Also here is the link to the BenQ reviews at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16824014132

They give you the best bang for the buck.

The Dell apparently gives you the best banding for the buck

The NEC is great if money is no object, however.

Another 24" that's coming is a Mitsubishi 24" with a A-MVA panel aimed at gamers (lots of connections), only in Japan probably.

There was a Sceptre 24 incher that was in the works for a while but I think it got nixed. It has DVI, VGA, 2x HDMI, Component, Composite, and S-video...

I don't really play any new games so gaming monitor isn't what I need. (except for Dungeon Siege 2 and WoW) So uhm, banding, isn't it a bad thing? About the Dell that is... but if I wait for the High Color version and some review of it I'll probably see if they've done anything about it? If I want to play new games I'll probably go grab a new graphics card around august where my birthday is. ;)

If you want the best bang for the buck(s) around 700 of them after taxes.
You might want to look at the BenQ or the LG

Here is a link to the manufacturer's site of the LG

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/computer products_lcd monitors_wide screen_L246WP-BN.jhtml

Also here is the link to the BenQ reviews at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16824014132

They give you the best bang for the buck.

The Dell apparently gives you the best banding for the buck

The NEC is great if money is no object, however.

I can't seem to find the specified model of the LG electronics monitor, maybe it hasn't reached Europe yet. I found the BenQ and it was inside my pricerange, approx 920 euros.
So uhm, which one of those has got the best image quality/colors? Is the 92% Color Gamut really going to make that much of a difference?

Have you guys seen atleast two of them in person and could compare which one you like the best? :)

Thanks for all the replies.

I have the Dell 2407 and I really like it alot. I have my pc hooked to DVI, XBOX 360 hooked to the VGA, and XBOX hooked up to component. Still have room for PS2 to be hooked up to it...but neh....

I have the Dell 2407 and I really like it alot. I have my pc hooked to DVI, XBOX 360 hooked to the VGA, and XBOX hooked up to component. Still have room for PS2 to be hooked up to it...but neh....

Hey! I own a PS2, have you ever tried connecting the 2407 to the PS2? Does it look good or really bad? I don't own a TV right now so it'd be nice to have it hooked up to the monitor if it's good.

I'm also going to get a PS3 somewhere in Q1 2008 and I probably will still have my 24-incher, unless I buy a bigger one instead. Does anyone know how well it works with a PS3 and a 1920x1200 res monitor?

Hey! I own a PS2, have you ever tried connecting the 2407 to the PS2? Does it look good or really bad? I don't own a TV right now so it'd be nice to have it hooked up to the monitor if it's good.

I'm also going to get a PS3 somewhere in Q1 2008 and I probably will still have my 24-incher, unless I buy a bigger one instead. Does anyone know how well it works with a PS3 and a 1920x1200 res monitor?

The PS2 looks fine. I have mine hooked up over component. It was even doing alright when it was hooked up over Svideo.

I can't seem to find the specified model of the LG electronics monitor, maybe it hasn't reached Europe yet.

I think that monitor is labeled as LG L245WP-BN 24" in Europe. I believe there are some small differences in the arrangement of the buttons compared to the one in the U.S. also. Here in Finland it costs around 760 euros.

yea it's fine, i keep my PS3 on DVI and my laptop on VGA. I just need to keep reminding myself it's not in my wallets favor to buy a big tv right now.

I think that monitor is labeled as LG L245WP-BN 24" in Europe. I believe there are some small differences in the arrangement of the buttons compared to the one in the U.S. also. Here in Finland it costs around 760 euros.

Oh, then I found it. It was pretty cheap too. I found it for like 760 euros in Sweden too.
So, how is this one compared to the dell? This one uses a P-MVA panel right? And the Dell has S-PVA as far as I got it... But I have no clue which one is the 'better'. Is there any difference between input lags? I got a samsung model from where my mother works, but it had an extremely high delay for the mouse input. I hated it alot. If it's not noticeable, which panel would have the better image quality? I can't really compare since I don't know any place nearby where they sell either one of them.

So, how is this one compared to the dell? This one uses a P-MVA panel right? And the Dell has S-PVA as far as I got it... But I have no clue which one is the 'better'

Personally I like it. It's better than the older Samsung 215TW which I now moved to my secondary PC. Personally I'm not that picky when it comes to input lags and such. I don't even notice them to be honest. The reason I got the LG is that it is good (color, aesthetics, response time) enough for me, and here in Finland it is also substantially cheaper then the Dell (over 1000 euros) or the BenQ (almost 1000 euros).

There's a long thread here in this forum (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1166980) where a user compared three 24" monitors (the Dell vs. the BenQ vs the LG). He did a very thorough job so you might want to check it out.

OK Nevermind, I tried to sit in front of one for a while but damn that thing is huge. No way I can get used to the size... 24" it is :(

I'm getting the

Dell 3007WFP-HC
- it's only like 1300 euros so I couldn't resist.

Hope I didn't do anything stupid...

I hope so too! The 6800GT won't drive your monitor at full resolution and as the monitor doesn't have any onboard scaling, that means it won't work at all. You need a card with a dual-link dvi connector to be able to carry the 2560x1600 pixel signal. (Note, DUAL LINK, not DUAL DVI). The bandwidth needed won't fit through a single-link DVI connector.

I hope you have a PCI-Express motherboard, because dual link AGP cards are not common. I *think* the ATI X1950 Pro AGP cards are dual link, but I am not positive. The Gainward 7800GS is OK, if you can find one (because its really a 7800GT in disguise. But the Gainward is the only nvidia AGP card with dual link.)

Chip

I believe Chippy has it right.
dell said:
To fully utilize your new 3007WFP-HC monitor and enjoy the ultra-high resolution settings, your PC must have a dual-link DVI-D graphics card that supports 2560x1600 resolution. These dedicated high-end video cards are offered with select XPS desktops and Dell Precision workstations, or separately through the Dell.com Electronics & Accessories store. A high-quality video card is necessary for you to take advantage of all the 30-inch monitor's features, including high-definition viewing. Please make sure that your PC either has or can support a dual-link DVI-D graphics card before purchasing this monitor.
It should work, but not at high res. And he's especially right about agp cards and dual-link. There weren't many that offered it.

I believe Chippy has it right.

It should work, but not at high res.

Am I right in thinking that none of the 30" monitors have any onboard scaling? I think that's true.

If it is true, then he won't manage to fill the screen with the output of his graphics card, which will make having a 30" screen a complete waste of time. He'll just have a 24" image with 2" black borders all the way around. I would call this "not working".

You really *need* a dual-link card for these 30" monitors, I think.

Chippy

Am I right in thinking that none of the 30" monitors have any onboard scaling? I think that's true.

If it is true, then he won't manage to fill the screen with the output of his graphics card, which will make having a 30" screen a complete waste of time. He'll just have a 24" image with 2" black borders all the way around. I would call this "not working".

You really *need* a dual-link card for these 30" monitors, I think.

Chippy

Allright. Ordered an 8800GTS 640mb too now... Wasn't really worried about that, I felt like I needed a new graphics card anyway! The 6800GT felt old and slow compared to the other hardware I'm using.

So I guess this is *end of thread* for me? I got the 8800GTS cheap enough so well... I'll have to live on noodles and water the rest of the month. :)

Allright. Ordered an 8800GTS 640mb too now... Wasn't really worried about that, I felt like I needed a new graphics card anyway! The 6800GT felt old and slow compared to the other hardware I'm using.

So I guess this is *end of thread* for me? I got the 8800GTS cheap enough so well... I'll have to live on noodles and water the rest of the month. :)
I'm jealous of your noodles and water:mad:

edit- and also your kick-ass 30" monitor and spankin video card

I'm jealous of your noodles and water:mad:

edit- and also your kick-ass 30" monitor and spankin video card

You can touch them for a pizza if you'd like to. ;)

Uhh oh yeah another question, if I want to be cheap, would the 8600GTS be enough to play Dungeon Siege 2 on it? The gaming graphics is not really any priority at all. So I can play on pretty low settings. Or does the 8800GTS fit in a Sugo SG01B-Evo? It looks like it would be rather tight in there.

You can touch them for a pizza if you'd like to. ;)

Uhh oh yeah another question, if I want to be cheap, would the 8600GTS be enough to play Dungeon Siege 2 on it? The gaming graphics is not really any priority at all. So I can play on pretty low settings. Or does the 8800GTS fit in a Sugo SG01B-Evo? It looks like it would be rather tight in there.

Jeez, it will be tight. Also, what PSU have you got? You are going to need a decent PSU to drive the 8800GTS.

Man, you really like to just throw yourself at it, don't you. Ever heard the expression "look before you leap"? Obviously not.

Chippy

I hope so too! The 6800GT won't drive your monitor at full resolution and as the monitor doesn't have any onboard scaling, that means it won't work at all. You need a card with a dual-link dvi connector to be able to carry the 2560x1600 pixel signal. (Note, DUAL LINK, not DUAL DVI). The bandwidth needed won't fit through a single-link DVI connector.

I hope you have a PCI-Express motherboard, because dual link AGP cards are not common. I *think* the ATI X1950 Pro AGP cards are dual link, but I am not positive. The Gainward 7800GS is OK, if you can find one (because its really a 7800GT in disguise. But the Gainward is the only nvidia AGP card with dual link.)

Chip

n00b question but how can you tell if a DVI port on a card is dual link? my card (radeon X1950XT) doesnt say so but the ports can accomodate a dual-link DVI-I or DVI-D cable (because all the holes are there)

thanks

Jeez, it will be tight. Also, what PSU have you got? You are going to need a decent PSU to drive the 8800GTS.

Man, you really like to just throw yourself at it, don't you. Ever heard the expression "look before you leap"? Obviously not.

Chippy

Well I have looked at the 3007WFP and it's simply amazing... I have said in the thread that I'm going to get a new graphics card so there's really nothing "unplanned". I've had the 6800GT for what can it be... 2 years? It was going to get replaced last year but I couldn't find a reason why since I wasn't playing new games or doing graphically advanced stuff or high resolutions and stuff.
So I'm not really worried about this and that and thus.
I've got a 580W Tagan 2force PSU, and I've read that the 8800GTS fits in the SG01 too, and no I didn't order the monitor yet, but I've decided on it at the moment.

The 8800GTS won't be enough to run full-res unless you don't mind choppy framerates (think in the 20s), like playing with lots of eye candy turned off, or play only old games like Quake. No, not Quake 4--plain old Quake. The inability to run games at native res is one of the reasons holding me back from taking the leap to a 30" LCD.

The 8800GTS won't be enough to run full-res unless you don't mind choppy framerates (think in the 20s), like playing with lots of eye candy turned off, or play only old games like Quake. No, not Quake 4--plain old Quake. The inability to run games at native res is one of the reasons holding me back from taking the leap to a 30" LCD.

Well uhm, I'm going to turn eyecandy off, play mostly old games, Dungeon Siege 2 and WoW as newest as I've said... Games are not the number one prio for the monitor.

- it's only like 1300 euros so I couldn't resist.

That is one heck of a cheap price for a 30" monitor. Are you sure there's not a typo or something? A 30" Dell monitor costs almost 2000 euros in Finland.

Back