What is that rumored "Pascal refresh"

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
I know, that this rumour comes from WCCFTECH and they are the Hawaiian pizza of the tech world. But they keep mumbling about supposed Pascal refresh coming this year before Volta comes next year.

Something about full chips, much faster versions of 1080/1070 with Gddrx5 and higher clocked cores than current cards

Is there any truth in those rumours or is it another wishful thinking and straight FUD?

sounds like some wishful thinking as a potential response once Vega releases (assuming it releases the 1st half of 2017). It'd be cool and all, it just seems a bit unlikely (like the fated 1080ti release) without a more competitive environment

Actually the latest rumor is they are going straight to Volta.

Which means something in Vega spooked them.

What does also means is that Volta is setting out a year earlier than it should be. I am not saying Volta will flop, but if it does, we will look at this as the reason why.

What does also means is that Volta is setting out a year earlier than it should be. I am not saying Volta will flop, but if it does, we will look at this as the reason why.

I think nvidia is on schedule. I could be wrong but I believe they have an HPC contract that needs to be filled this year. As part of that, I'm sure there will be many Volta chips that will be binned into a lower SKU. Unless there's something about those chips that makes them HPC only (which is possible), I suspect they'll end up in graphics cards.

The comments section of these articles at wccftech are always hilarious:

"nvidia BTFO by amd lmfao resident evil 7 benchmarks lol dx12 async compute trololololololol kiss your lambo goodbye jen-sun lololololol!!!"

If AMD had as many people buying video cards as they have fanboy commenters on wccftech, they would make Scrooge McDuck look like a pauper.

Nothing spooked them. Vega doesn't bring a new level of performance and Volta was always planned for 2018 and rumors about pascal refresh in 2017 at best were circulating for a long time already.

I know, that this rumour comes from WCCFTECH and they are the Hawaiian pizza of the tech world. But they keep mumbling about supposed Pascal refresh coming this year before Volta comes next year.

Something about full chips, much faster versions of 1080/1070 with Gddrx5 and higher clocked cores than current cards

Is there any truth in those rumours or is it another wishful thinking and straight FUD?

I would just like to go on the record to say that, when i first heard of Hawaiian pizza, it sounded like an unholy abomination. Then I was prevailed upon to try it, and it has been a favorite ever since. I feel...so dirty...

I would just like to go on the record to say that, when i first heard of Hawaiian pizza, it sounded like an unholy abomination. Then I was prevailed upon to try it, and it has been a favorite ever since. I feel...so dirty...

Is it really Hawaiian though just because it has pineapple on it? Because it has Canadian bacon. I'd be more apt to call it Canadian pizza because of that particular brand of pork product. Now if it had Kahlua pork on it, maybe then I'd call it Hawaiian. :D

So I've been seeing lots of price drops lately on the 1070's... do retailers know something we don't?

rumors the way to keep us pc gamers from ever upgrading if you pay attention to the rumors you might never upgrade always waiting for the next big thing that was rumored.

Nothing spooked them. Vega doesn't bring a new level of performance and Volta was always planned for 2018 and rumors about pascal refresh in 2017 at best were circulating for a long time already.

Try again. Volta was initially planned for 2016, 2017 at most. Then Maxwell took too long, then they realized stacked memory would be woefully not ready by 2016/2017, and so Pascal was born in the middle as stopgap.

OldRoadmap.jpg

Try again. Volta was initially planned for 2016, 2017 at most. Then Maxwell took too long, then they realized stacked memory would be woefully not ready by 2016/2017, and so Pascal was born in the middle as stopgap.

Yeah, I'll try, as I'm talking about the presentations after Volta was revived which always pointed towards 2018 release. Why would I even reference irrelevant information from your post? Crawl out of that rock.

Yeah, I'll try, as I'm talking about the presentations after Volta was revived which always pointed towards 2018 release. Why would I even reference irrelevant information from your post? Crawl out of that rock.

Your original post said that "Volta was always planned for 2018". That is factually incorrect. Hence my post, which is far from irrelevant: it's the original schedule, clearly showing Volta due in 2016, early 2017 at most. Which then got changed due to manufacturing issues. Thus your reference to "always" doesn't make any sense, and why your post confused me.

Seeing that you were referring to the renewed schedule, then yes, Volta is indeed slated for 2018 (not that Nvidia cares about following their own timeline anyway), but that is not what you originally said.

Not meaning to be picky here, but your previous post said something different than you intended. Hence the confusion.

OK found a reasonable HPC presentation that is viewable by everyone that shows Volta and Pascal with their respective dates of 2016 and 2017, this presentation goes back to late 2014 and probably one of the earliest you will find with both.
http://www.ecmwf.int/sites/default/...idia-hpc-directions-earth-system-modeling.pdf

Slide 7 but note the names are not aligned to the respective square and Maxwell is missing because this is focusing on DP (FP64) capable dGPUs.
Slide 42,43 gives more summary detail on Pascal and with 2016 date - aligns with slide 7.

That said I doubt they will produce all the dGPUs even just for 3 projects by end of 2017 as that is over 40,000 'V100'.
I would say production would ramp up for the 'V100' December, but will be in production similar way as P100 and starting from mid-late summer.
All 3 of the Coral supercomputers go live in 2018, not surprising as it takes a lot of time to build these with the various tech they have and all the training/coding migration required.

Cheers

Are all of these rebates and price reductions on the GTX 1080 indicative of something new to be released soon? Looks like they're clearing stock.

Are all of these rebates and price reductions on the GTX 1080 indicative of something new to be released soon? Looks like they're clearing stock.
I don't think so. If you keep your ear to the ground, you'll note that there have been quite a few reports about how retailers are having trouble selling graphics cards. They're piling up in warehouses, and then not moving, because they're not selling as fast as anticipated during the holiday season.

So, I'd guess that all the discounts and rebates have more to do with the supply channel just having too many of them, as opposed to the impending release of anything new.

The x80 Ti SKU's have alway been in reponse to competition from AMD...this has been stated by me and others multiple times...*sigh*

But I guess most people on forums today only care about rumors...true or false be damned!

latest 1080 Ti rumor is late May or early June at Computex...which makes more sense to release it closer to the Vega release

lol the rumors just keep pushing it farther back...
Anyway the longer they take, the more likely we are to see a Pascal refresh along with it. 1 YEAR after the 1070/1080 launch is too much for 1080 Ti. Almost a year since the Titan XP by then (10 months, Aug->June) ...

I've been waiting for the Ti and even I would hesitate to buy it if it's that late.

Anyway the longer they take, the more likely we are to see a Pascal refresh along with it. 1 YEAR after the 1070/1080 launch is too much for 1080 Ti. Almost a year since the Titan XP by then (10 months, Aug->June) ...

I've been waiting for the Ti and even I would hesitate to buy it if it's that late.
I bet all those that bought the Pascal Titan when it came out are happy :)
Been out for awhile without any competition, if it just had a bit more performance (as a full core GP102 it would had been near perfect for 4k) it would had been stunning for the length of time it has had on its own.
Cheers

The most interesting thing we might see in a Pascal refresh lineup would be a Quadro P6000 in the form a Titan XP Black. But that wouldn't come out for a while since P6000 was just released. And at best it would be a 10% performance given the extra enabled SM and slightly higher clocks.

An 1180Ti is just too late for it to be interesting. I'm predicting some 3328-3584 core part coming in at $850. About 5% slower than TXP which has been out for 6 months already. Everything else will just be rebranded with slightly higher clocks.

I don't think we see any GTX Volta until mid-2018.

I bet all those that bought the Pascal Titan when it came out are happy :)
Been out for awhile without any competition, if it just had a bit more performance (as a full core GP102 it would had been near perfect for 4k) it would had been stunning for the length of time it has had on its own.
Cheers

I'll be honest I do regret not buying the Titan XP on release day now that it is clear Vega is so far away and thus the potential 1080 ti. But I think I can hold onto my 980 ti just fine until the next Titan. That one will be mine on release day as that is when it is best to buy this type of card.

Last edited:
I don't see any hardware killers like Crysis on the horizon in 2017 so I'm fine with waiting for the next Nvidia refresh (and get a chance to see Vega as well)

I think the next time I even contemplate upgrading is if VR gives better screens/wireless.

5960x/1080 can push anything on at least high at 3440x1440...

I love Hawaiian pizza.

thats kinda dumb logic. I wont buy it if it is 1080TI but i'll buy it if its 2080TI...same die be damned. :rolleyes:

I recently reported a forum user for being a wccf tech click bait / traffic router who only posts links to their newest articles and has never made another comment. Be wary of sites like wccf tech who are abusing our forums which i highly respect, and creating a toxic online community that lacks in the tech discussion and thrives in low brow communications from under informed, low level bickering. We need to appreciate the high level of silicon level understanding many of our enthusiasts bring to this community and continue to take the high road in delivering the highest level discussion and fact based query. Arguments based in fact and science will always have a place here, and click bait dumpster level tactics have no place in our community.

In regards to the halo products, which represent a minority of gpu sales, Nvidia clearly has a substantial footprint in that category at the moment and if you want the best you can go buy a Titan right now that has been available for more than 6 months and play 4k till your eyes bleed right now. There are literally no market segments right now that you can't buy an incredibly powerful gpu to delivery the EXACT experience you want. 1080 gaming, which most of the world is still crunching, can be had for around $150 for extreme performance. There has never been a time in pc gaming history that the gpu's were more powerful than the games we have to play. When we start to see games coming out that can't be maxed at 1080, then we would actually have a reason to petition for bleeding edge hardware refreshes. As it stands, the market is in a weird place right now and at least we have VR to drive needs in a new and infinite direction for GPU power.

Back